Rumor: Blu-ray Licensing May Delay Next Xbox

http://www.tomsguide...news-16999.html

Well then, it may be time for Microsoft to revive HD-DVD... Not for movie but for game distribution. I've already got my blu-ray player...

HD-DVD would put microsoft as eventually being a problem once again if they went that path. As a dual layer HD-DVD holds 40% less than a dual layer Blu-ray. The better route would be to do like the article says and do what nintendo has done and use a proprietary format that has the same capacity but gets around the licensing.

Also, you posted a negative rumor. Prepare to be under attack from certain people of this forum section for doing so. Cause they hate negative ms/xbox talk.

Well, if it takes longer it just takes longer. Blu-ray support is a necessity.

No it's not... By now, everybody wanting a Blu-Ray player got one, stand alone or PS3...

• Like 1

Microsoft should invent little ultra high capacity memory cards you buy with the games on them or go totally digital!

Exactly. I can't believe we're still using that crappy disc technology after all these years.

I hated it when we went that route in the first place. I liked cartridge games better than disc games. CD/DVD/BD load way to slow.

MS shouldn't even bother having a disc player at all. Just a HD with lots of storage space, and do all digital download.

No it's not...??By now, everybody wanting a Blu-Ray player got one, stand alone or PS3...

So not true. I think MS would be making a mistake not putting in a Blu-ray drive. How can they claim it's the center of the living room (or whatever term they coined) by not allowing people to go out to?(insert retail store)?and buy the latest movie in HD and not play it on their Xbox and big HDTV?

Yay for NAND manufacturers that suddenly stopped lowering the prices after the 64gb mark was hit, now we'll be stuck with optical media for the whole next decade.

If Microsoft went to a memory card format for the games and movies, it would reduce the cost of the next Xbox. Disk drives also break down and have disc read problems after a while too.

They don't have a choice to include a blu-ray drive, because of movies. It's supposed to be the entertainment system of your living room.

I wish we could go the cartridge way.

HD-DVD would put microsoft as eventually being a problem once again if they went that path. As a dual layer HD-DVD holds 40% less than a dual layer Blu-ray. The better route would be to do like the article says and do what nintendo has done and use a proprietary format that has the same capacity but gets around the licensing.]

Good point, but doing without Blu-ray might negate a selling point for the next Xbox (how many PS3's were picked up just for playing back BDs?). Seeing how Xbox is also an entertainment hub I'm not sure if a random proprietary format is the way to go.

More BS rumors. im sure Microsoft didn't wait for the last minute to check on some fake 10 year exclusive sony has on bluray.

Yeah, Microsoft wouldn't have waited until now to investigate the licensing situation, that would have been sorted before they even committed to putting it in prototypes.

That's assuming there even is a licensing issue, Sony claiming that only they can use Blu-Ray for game disks nearly a decade after it was launched? doubt it.

Microsoft should invent little ultra high capacity memory cards you buy with the games on them or go totally digital!

i really don't understand why they don't do this, i understand that pressing a disk is probably a bit cheaper, but the performance and durability of it surely would outweigh it.

I suppose it's all for the push of having the xbox/ps as the centre of your media life, but if anything surely the netflix and other streamers like apple tv should prove that you don't have to support disc based media.

So not true. I think MS would be making a mistake not putting in a Blu-ray drive. How can they claim it's the center of the living room (or whatever term they coined) by not allowing people to go out to (insert retail store) and buy the latest movie in HD and not play it on their Xbox and big HDTV?

By allowing you to plug your Blu-Ray player into your console? Rumored HDMI Input iirc. Tbh I'd rather then use DVD's than Blu-Rays only because the read speed is much faster. That or abandon discs and go for flash/media card style format. The biggest downfall of Blu-Ray is that it's very slow.

It's a whole lot cheaper to press discs than to produce carts.

This discussion has been had before. For several pages.

It's also cheaper to not replace/repair hundreds of thousands of consoles every generation due to the traditional disc drive issues that are inevitable. I'd be fine ponying up $10 more if I could get a truly silent, reliable, faster loading media for my games. BluRay is, imo, a step backwards. The only positive of Blu-Ray is capacity. Everything else is inferior to a DVD.

This is one rumour I think is completely BS.

On the notion of delays, even if any of the rumours about MS being behind are true, they'll launch anyway. Far too aggressive a company to let any competitor get a little time on them.

I'm pretty sure if this had any shed of truth to it we would've seen some sort of documents to this effect. Don't see licensing being an issue in the least for MS.