'Firefly' won't return on Netflix

a509548aeda1202d2f5ef7a05e28f.jpg

Netflix's Ted Sarandos has said that he is not interested in reviving Firefly.

The online outlet has produced new episodes of cult comedy Arrested Development, leading fans of other axed series - such as Joss Whedon's sci-fi drama - to campaign for further Netflix revivals.

However, Sarandos told Stuff.tv that Arrested was a special case, since its fanbase has grown "larger than the original broadcast audience" since the show ended in 2006.

"In almost every case, the cult around the show gets more intense and smaller as time goes by," he said. "Arrested Development was the rarest of birds in that the audience of the show grew larger... because people came to discover it years after it was cancelled."

Sarandos - Netflix's chief content officer - argued that there are fewer Firefly fans now than during the show's original airing.

"The Firefly fan is still the Firefly fan from when it was on TV and there's fewer of them and they're more passionate every year," he said. "Whereas with Arrested Development we're going to be serving a multiple of the original audience.

"Any of the other shows we could bring back would be a fraction of the original audience."

Netflix was previously reported to be in early talks to revive the drama series Jericho, which originally ran on CBS between 2006 and 2008.

[x]

i would have loved to see more firefly, i wonder if even if they cannot do a show if they could do another movie, that might be profitable

I say we get a petition on and show them that there is plenty interest in firefly! just see how many members are on the bring back firefly FB page!

I never saw Firefly, but I did buy Serenity, and while I thought it was good I didn't think it was great.

I never saw Firefly, but I did buy Serenity, and while I thought it was good I didn't think it was great.

I would seriously suggest checking Firefly out. Not only is it a great series, but it provides plenty of background that makes Serenity even better (at least in my eyes).

Netflix, I consider you to be one of the better guys out there. Apparently even the best can have a brain fart sometimes, and this decision is one of those times.

While I disagree with his argument (I never knew the show existed until it was on DVD), I think the bigger issue with Firefly is that none of the actors are interested in reviving the series.

I would seriously suggest checking Firefly out. Not only is it a great series, but it provides plenty of background that makes Serenity even better (at least in my eyes).

Netflix, I consider you to be one of the better guys out there. Apparently even the best can have a brain fart sometimes, and this decision is one of those times.

Totally agree. I watched Serenity, and had the same feelings, that it was good.

But then I watched Firefly, and re-watched Serenity again after I watched the show, and it was that MUCH MORE powerful.

I think I would rather have another movie vs continuing the show, I'm not sure how long they could get Nathan Fillion/other cast members for continuing the show.