from Note I to Note II, should I go for WP8?

I currently have a Note II and recently been thinking of WP8. What do you guys think, should I jump ship or wait it out 6+ months? Maybe it's one of those sensless urges...

I would do it in a heartbeat. id say the only way I would recommend for you to stay with an android device is if you enjoy copying and moving files, and like to type a bunch of obscure commands because it makes you feel like a hardcore techy. other than that I cant see any advantages. yes there are more "apps" , but you're sacrificing performance and visuals. to me the apps are an eye sore. I bet most of the apps you need are already on windows phone,and especially now, most of the big name stuff are coming in waves.

If you have any urges then put a custom ROM on your phone, tons of fun and you can get some really good features out of doing so.

stay with an android device is if you enjoy copying and moving files, and like to type a bunch of obscure commands because it makes you feel like a hardcore techy.

I don't know one single person who has to type a bunch of commands for anything just because they have an android phone, what "obscure commands" are you referring to?

I don't know one single person who has to type a bunch of commands for anything just because they have an android phone, what "obscure commands" are you referring to?

he is referring to rooting and using custom roms

id say the only way I would recommend for you to stay with an android device is if you enjoy copying and moving files, and like to type a bunch of obscure commands because it makes you feel like a hardcore techy

You really are very odd.

Sure it used to be like that, but these days rooting a phone is as simple as connecting it to your PC and clicking a button. Installing custom ROMs have gotten a lot easier as well. If you have the right recovery, GooManager will download the custom ROM and install it for you with just a couple taps of one's finger.

As for the OP, do whatever makes you happy, man. I'm elated with Android, but if you want to try something new I'm not going to discourage you. I'd play around with it in the store first, though, and see if there's any way you can return it if you get it home & discover later on that you hate it.

I can agree with that if the owner of the device is into rooting and modding however the OP made no mention of that and neither did vcfan.

I can agree with that if the owner of the device is into rooting and modding however the OP made no mention of that and neither did vcfan.

geez dude, I specifically said "if you enjoy', meaning if you like to do that kind of stuff,because that's right, the op didn't mention it.

I would do it in a heartbeat. id say the only way I would recommend for you to stay with an android device is if you enjoy copying and moving files, and like to type a bunch of obscure commands because it makes you feel like a hardcore techy. other than that I cant see any advantages. yes there are more "apps" , but you're sacrificing performance and visuals. to me the apps are an eye sore. I bet most of the apps you need are already on windows phone,and especially now, most of the big name stuff are coming in waves.

Say what? When is the last time you have used Android?

adb shell? dd if=* of=* ??? oh so now android 'techies' don't like to do these things?

99% of users out there don't mess with:

1. Android Debug Bridge (adb). It is a developer intended feature, heh.

2. Copy using dd.

3. Use their command prompt for anything regarding their phone.

The 1% that install roms and mod their phones do. Since when do the 1 percenters define an entire user base?

That is like saying people here who hate Windows 8 speak for everyone else. :rolleyes:

Or like saying, hey, you should get a Mac because Windows PCs are only good if you like to mod your hardware and overclock.

oh boy. if you didn't instinctively go into a fanboy rage and bothered to read, :book: I said I would recommend for him to stay with android IF he likes to do these kinds of things. you're arguing something totally different and irrelevant.

I currently have a Note II and recently been thinking of WP8. What do you guys think, should I jump ship or wait it out 6+ months? Maybe it's one of those sensless urges...

having used heavily android, ios and windows phone I can assure you that you hardly gain anything switching the platform. the note II is a fine device. as long as you feel pleasant with its size you should just stick to it. i wish windows phone was more mature, but it isnt. it lacks much more than it excels in.

imo it is a senseless urge of you :-)

What a strange, strange person...

Indeed.

oh boy. if you didn't instinctively go into a fanboy rage and bothered to read, :book: I said I would recommend for him to stay with android IF he likes to do these kinds of things. you're arguing something totally different and irrelevant.

Fanboy rage?

If you had bothered to think about what you typed, you would realize it was a fanboy comment you made. The masses don't choose Android so they can futz around with developer options or root and mod their device. It was a very ignorant comment on your part, especially when the vast majority of Android users know nothing of adb or dd.

having used heavily android, ios and windows phone I can assure you that you hardly gain anything switching the platform. the note II is a fine device. as long as you feel pleasant with its size you should just stick to it. i wish windows phone was more mature, but it isnt. it lacks much more than it excels in.

imo it is a senseless urge of you :-)

I have a Note II and have considered WP8, just because I am bored with Android. Android and the Note II work fine, but it would be nice to try something new.

Fanboy rage?

If you had bothered to think about what you typed, you would realize it was a fanboy comment you made. The masses don't choose Android so they can futz around with developer options or root and mod their device.

youre right. the salesman does.

youre right. the salesman does.

Wow, you're one of the most childish members I've ever seen... and I dont even use Android.

I work with someone who switched from a Note to a Lumia 820 and he's generally very happy with it. There are a few apps that he missed initially but quickly found alternatives/realised that he wasn't missing much. Now he just wishes that he'd bought a Lumia 920 instead :laugh:

I've been using android since Nexus One, and really got bored of it. Maybe it's just those times where I want a change...

I already have my note rooted and installed a custom ROM, been doing that since the early days of android, but it gets old and boring to me, eventually.

I've been using android since Nexus One, and really got bored of it. Maybe it's just those times where I want a change...

I already have my note rooted and installed a custom ROM, been doing that since the early days of android, but it gets old and boring to me, eventually.

well in that case you shouldnt ask the question you did. it seems you're too much interested in tech to miss out the windows phone platform. just do the change.

im pretty sure tho that you will get bored again. even much quicker than with android. once you figured out windows phone thats kinda it...

No. Apart from the fact that the hardware in the Note II is extremely powerful, it's pretty much on it's own where screen size is at the moment.

A note 2 user here also and I think currently when it comes to customizability windows phone isn't there yet but if u don't care about always changing ur wallpaper, icons, then you would be jut right at home with a windows phone.

I've used a windows phone for about 2 years and it was quite stable almost no lag except in some apps which needed to be updated but I've had a very good experience with the OS.

The reason I went with the note 2 is the screen size (big netflix fan here) and the tempting "quad core" in my phone. But after using it for almost a year now the "quad core" in my phone doesn't make much of a difference because I was getting lags al,dot all over the place. Running a custom rom helps with some CPU tweaks for performance and underclocks for batter life.

On the note 2 I hate the f-ing screen wake lag.

Anyways I'm waiting for a windows phone to come out with comparable screen size and processing power so I can be sure to enjoy games and Netflix. I'm honestly tired of android again.