WP to HTC One

Now I know there are a lot of "thinking about switching" threads... but this one seems to be the opposite. I'm thinking of switching from windows phone to android.

Now I've owned a HTC Surround (WP7.8) for 2.5 years and it's starting show its age (hardware-wise -- screen is not responding sometimes). I was really set on getting a Lumia 920 but then I've learned that only the other carrier will be offering it. Fast forward couple of months; nothing has changed and Nokia is even getting ready to announce new handsets. So there is my first gripe: availability. My carrier only offers a low-end Lumia 620 or the Samsung Ativ S which I hate the hardware. That leaves me with no real good option for WP8.

Then I was getting ready to get out of the store when I stumbled upon the HTC One. WOW. Gorgeous phone. Then I picked it up and started to play with it and ended up spending an hour in front of the device, trying to understand how android works and how I can do stuff I do on WP daily like calls, messaging, emails, check fb, browse my favorite websites. Seems that I can do pretty much everything but just in a different way.

My question would be: has anyone did the switch and if so; are you really missing some of the features? I'm just afraid I'll miss some of the things on WP like the people hub, uploading a picture I just took on facebook instantaneously, local scout, bing music search, etc... Maybe I'm just getting my eyes raped by a shiny new toy and aching for trying something new, but I'm worried about ending up missing WP and what makes it so easy and different.

I live in Canada and I'm just tired of waiting for new features/something fresh and new windows phones to show up on my carrier (which is one of the biggest btw -- Telus). Btw I'm a techy but not a power user. I just care about features like phone, txt, email, browsing, calculator, calendar, fb, checking gaz prices on gasbuddy, maps, alarm clock...

Insights plz. I'd like to take a good decision as we, caucks, sign for 3 years on the same device!

P.S. Plz don't turn this thread into a WP vs Android thread!!!

HTC is known for abandoning support for their products after not very long. If you're signing a 3 year contract, expect after 1 year that you will no longer get updates or any kind of support. that's why people are jumping ship from HTC,no matter what quality of phones they put out.

I think that if there is any way that you could not be in contract, do it. 3 years is simply too long and you'll pay far more than you should. I recommend buying a gently used phone locally and going off contract, but it sounds like that may not be available where you live. :cry:

I used to have a Nokia Lumia 900, and as much as I really really wanted to love it, I ended up regretting buying it and was really disappointed in Windows Phone in general. I know you say that you are not a power user, but Android really has the ability to do so much more than WP or iOS. I moved from the Lumia 900 to an HTC One S, and I am so happy I did. I've never regretted the switch to Android. If you're worried about security on an Android device, you can disallow side-loading of apps, and don't download things such as flashlight apps that want access to your phone storage and GPS.

My biggest complaint about Windows Phone was the restricted access to my own files. With Android, all my files are mine and I can do whatever I want with them, and if for some reason I can't, the solution is only an app away.

With Android, you also don't have to depend on the carrier to bring updates to your device.

I hope this helps.

HTC is known for abandoning support for their products after not very long. If you're signing a 3 year contract, expect after 1 year that you will no longer get updates or any kind of support. that's why people are jumping ship from HTC,no matter what quality of phones they put out.

I don't think this is limited to HTC. All phone manufacturers are guilty of this to some degree. I had a really bad experience with this with Samsung. At least my HTC One S got Jelly Bean.

I used to have a Nokia Lumia 900, and as much as I really really wanted to love it, I ended up regretting buying it and was really disappointed in Windows Phone in general. I know you say that you are not a power user.

first, to get this out of the way,you're giving input based on a different version of the OS ? the only thing they share is the look,and even that is different.

but Android really has the ability to do so much more than WP or iOS.

at what cost?

If you're worried about security on an Android device, you can disallow side-loading of apps, and don't download things such as flashlight apps that want access to your phone storage and GPS.

ouch!

My biggest complaint about Windows Phone was the restricted access to my own files.

again, you're not even giving input of the current product. windows phone 8 can show up as a USB drive,and you can copy and freely access your documents,music,videos,ringtones and pictures. some windows phones have sd card support too.

at what cost?

That depends, on if you're worried about security, if you want to take the time to learn to unlock/root/flash roms/etc. Android has the potential to do a lot more than iOS or WP, or you can use it in a way that's nearly just as safe and stable as iOS or WP. A lot of people don't need that potential of Android, or they don't want to learn about rooting and such, and so WP could be a great fit for those people.

That depends, on if you're worried about security, if you want to take the time to learn to unlock/root/flash roms/etc. Android has the potential to do a lot more than iOS or WP, or you can use it in a way that's nearly just as safe and stable as iOS or WP. A lot of people don't need that potential of Android, or they don't want to learn about rooting and such, and so WP could be a great fit for those people.

of course, if you know what youre doing, you'll be fine. but what im saying is, theres a tradeoff in this situation. it isn't a "free" advantage. look at windows and android, you have complete free reign, but look at the malware. ios and wp, pretty clean.