"Kick Me" sign prank leads to criminal conviction

i see no where in the article where it says he tried to go to his boss about it

Not in that article itself, no. But unlike some people, I don't go around in public forums screaming "crybaby", "sissy", etc, without having the full story.

His supervisor told him to "Get over it, and move on," his lawsuit claims. His supervisor also praised one of the pranksters as "a stand up guy" for admitting he put the "kick-me" tag on Mr. Palacio's back.

Mr. Palacio claims he never received a response from Intel's HR department until he finally reported the incident to police. (src)

So that's one side of the story. Intel still fails to comment on the incident, so we can't hear their side. I'd rather reserve my judgment until then, and not start calling people names and make myself look like an idiot.

Most work places have pretty clear harassment policies that will lead to dismissal for this sort of thing. Not sure about the need for criminal convictions though.

Yeah, agreed. If this wasn't handled appropriately by someone in charge there is definitely something wrong... With that said though, that person needs to take responsibility for this. If he didn't ride this up, I don't see what Intel did here. I mean, if he did those things, then fine, but far too often people sue because a company has a lot of money before they even take up an issue with HR...

criminal conviction? wow. that is just stupid. let their human resources department deal with it and terminate them (which they did)

this is just so stupid.

From what i understand (sorry english is not me first language) he asked the guy to remove the sign but the guy kicked him in the butt instead.

After that, another coworker, Chris Zeltinger, was asked to help remove the sign, but instead kicked Palacio twice.

This is a serious offense and yes it can very well be a criminal one.

I don't see why some of you can't understand why these people were arrested. They assaulted someone. It doesn't matter where they assaulted them, or the severity of it. They committed a crime, so why is it so surprising? Maybe if the bullying was just hiding his clean room suit, or something else passive aggressive, then it would have simply been an HR thing and police wouldn't have been involved.

As for suing the company. It seems this bullying has been going on for quite some time. We definitely don't have all of the information, but it did seem like the guy went to his manager and HR to put a stop to it. However, the fact that his manager was so callus about the physical abuse, I'm not surprised the guy sued. Nothing was getting resolved through the proper channels, and physical or mental abuse in any context (especially the workplace) should not be tolerated. I would have done the same thing.

• Like 1

Those of you in this thread that support the ******* should be put on a public square and be humiliated for hours, every day for several years.

A lot of you guys are posting things about balls and vagina's, what do they have to do with bullying and work place harassment?

• Like 3

Not in that article itself, no. But unlike some people, I don't go around in public forums screaming "crybaby", "sissy", etc, without having the full story.

So that's one side of the story. Intel still fails to comment on the incident, so we can't hear their side. I'd rather reserve my judgment until then, and not start calling people names and make myself look like an idiot.

so it sounds like he talked to his boss and HR but stopped there. if it really bothered him he would have went to someone even higher up instead of just taking it for so long

i'm in no way supporting what was done to him but there are definitely a few more steps he could have taken before going to the police

Palacio felt demoralized and assaulted and he began to cry during the drive home

For real?? Just for that I would put a bigger one on him. He sounds like a ***** not for nothing. I work for a big network and we do dumb **** like that all the time. Keeps everyone on their toes and makes the day more fun.

What a crock!! This guy is a real sissy, he needs to grow a pair.

Exactly!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA, are you kidding me? Suing because of a kick me sign? Please deposit your balls and pick up a vagina.

Could this be any more ... sexist? Your comment is disgusting.

• Like 2

I'm not sure what is more childish, the kick-me sign stunt or the comments here suggesting that he grow a pair or exchange his balls for a vagina. Both seem to come from people who should have been held back in middle school because they obviously haven't grown up yet.

• Like 3

Its really rather amusing to see from the comments here who the "popular" kids were in high school.

Those people who had a solid group of friends that simply pranked each other with silly things like this but they all knew it was in good humour so though nothing off it.

Yet perhaps carried out such acts with the dorky kids, or the loners or other outcast groups for "fun" without realizing or perhaps they did know the effect such actions would have.

No doubt their views would quickly change if they were the subject of continual harassment or bullying which wasnt "all fun and games as part of the group" - shame we'll never know.

There's a difference between "bullying" and getting a kick me sign put on your back.

Please please tell us the difference?

He was BULLIED its called corporate bullying and is illegal in most countries. A lot of ignorance is being shown on this subject.

so it sounds like he talked to his boss and HR but stopped there. if it really bothered him he would have went to someone even higher up instead of just taking it for so long

i'm in no way supporting what was done to him but there are definitely a few more steps he could have taken before going to the police

yay way to go and blame the victim, this is whats wrong with the world right now

Bullying is the use of force or coercion to abuse or intimidate others

A practical joke (also known as a prank, gag, jape or shenanigan) is a mischievous trick or joke played on someone, typically causing the victim to experience embarrassment, perplexity, confusion, or discomfort.

If you don't see the difference, you are officially a moron who should die :)

Not only is it bullying its also assault and indicates an immature attitude in the workplace if this is happening.

yay way to go and blame the victim, this is whats wrong with the world right now

where the hell do you get that I'm blaming the victim?!? all I said is that there are more steps that he could have taken before he took the incident to the police making it a bigger deal than it needed to be (aka this isn't something that needed to reach the news before action was taken against those bullying him)

Bullying is the use of force or coercion to abuse or intimidate others

A practical joke (also known as a prank, gag, jape or shenanigan) is a mischievous trick or joke played on someone, typically causing the victim to experience embarrassment, perplexity, confusion, or discomfort.

If you don't see the difference, you are officially a moron who should die :)

death for someone who doesn't see things your way? Its getting easier and easier to pick out the kids on this site.

where the hell do you get that I'm blaming the victim?!? all I said is that there are more steps that he could have taken before he took the incident to the police making it a bigger deal than it needed to be (aka this isn't something that needed to reach the news before action was taken against those bullying him)

Have you ever worked in a corporate environment? I'd assume no since you think there is a level "higher up" than HR when you have a workplace issue like this. HR's job is to deal with situations like this. If HR doesn't do their job, you don't go into the CEO's office and complain. It doesn't work like that.

You could try to talk to an XO, but you most likely won't get the time of day. They probably won't even be in on the same campus, especially with a huge company like Intel. Which makes getting a hold of them even harder. And even if you do reach them, guess what their reaction will be? "Talk to HR". If HR failed, then the company (as a whole) failed.

At that point, you raise the issue to anyone who will make a difference. Most cases that means a lawyer and the press.

• Like 1

Hmm the steps that needed to be taken were he not be bullied/assaulted in the the first place, its embarrassing and demoralizing and its not easy to report your colleagues in these situations. He did the right thing report it to the police as he was physically assaulted and I am sure he was strongly advised to do so. There should be no excuse or justification for this kind of behavior period.

i'm sorry, and i don't usually post stuff like this, but what a *****?!

What's the world coming too!

Just do a prank back, and it leading to people getting sacked, jesus ****ing christ, what a joke..