NBC comedy evacuation continues: 'Go On,' 'New Normal' canc

nbc-comedy-evacuation-continues-go-on-new-normal-cancelled.jpg

The hits just keep on coming.

Hot on the heels of cancelling 'Whitney,' 'Guys with Kids,' '1600 Penn' and 'Up All Night,' NBC has dropped the axe on two more comedies, both of which survived for a single season: 'The New Normal' and Matthew Perry's 'Go On.'

News about 'Go On' bums me out--the series was cleverly written and well-acted. It seems that with NBC's comedy pilots performing well, both 'Go On' and 'The New Normal' are victims of timing and circumstance--a controlled-burn of NBC's existing comedy slate has taken place this week in order to make room for several series being picked up.

Matthew Perry, best known as Chandler Bing on 'Friends,' returned to NBC with 'Go On,' a show about a support group for people in mourning. While it doesn't sound like the most humorous premise, 'Go On' collected an eclectic cast of characters and built a comedy around love--one of the hardest things to do on television these days. The series began with strong ratings, thanks to Perry's star power as well as the lead-in from the hit competition series 'The Voice.' Over the course of the season, ratings New Normalfor 'Go On' slipped, and here we are.

'The New Normal' is a semi-autobiographical comedy from 'Glee's Ryan Murphy and Ali Adler. The series is about a gay couple starting a family and was known for its over-the-top characters and situations. Unlike 'Go On,' 'The New Normal' never found critical acclaim--the series suffered low numbers throughout the season, despite an impressive advertising campaign from NBC brass. Starring Justin Bartha and Andrew Rannells, 'The New Normal' developed a small, devoted fanbase who are no doubt quite saddened to learn of this cancellation.

The only NBC comedies to survive this cull are 'Parks & Recreation' and 'Community.'

Source: http://www.tvrage.com/news/6597/nbc-comedy-evacuation-continues-go-on-new-normal-cancelled

Oh for goodness sake! I have a big love/hate relationship this time of year with networks! :laugh:

Both were good shows, although TTN had a bit of a weak story line near the ending, I honestly could see it going the way of the rubbish bin. However Go On was a solid show! Good story line to it!

Go on deserves to get killed imo.

The first few were ok but at the end it was more horror than comedy.

Oh for goodness sake! I have a big love/hate relationship this time of year with networks! :laugh:

Both were good shows, although TTN had a bit of a weak story line near the ending, I honestly could see it going the way of the rubbish bin. However Go On was a solid show! Good story line to it!

It's weird Go On was doing well in the ratings so it was a surprise