Samsung Galaxy S4

CAM00030-590x330.jpg

The list of phones running the pure Google version of Android is about to increase by one as Samsung prepares the Galaxy S4 ?Google Edition?.

Google?s big developer conference, I/O, is often the stage for new products, and this year is promising to be bigger than any other. Despite shifting from two smaller keynotes to one larger keynote, Google is ready to put on quite a show tomorrow. Part of the big day will be to announce a new version of Samsung?s latest flagship, the Galaxy S4. While Samsung?s phone is an incredible piece of hardware, many users find themselves less than pleased with Samsung?s version of Android. To resolve this once and for all, we?ve learned that a pure AOSP (Android Open Source Project) version of the Galaxy S4 is being prepped for launch and will be unveiled during the I/O keynote.

Not to be confused with a Nexus phone, which is a piece of hardware made with Google?s guiding hand, the Galaxy S4 GE will feature stock Android inside Samsung?s familiar plastic casing. According our sources on hand at Google I/O, this Google Edition phone is a collaboration between Samsung and Google to address a growing group of users that prefer stock Android on something other than a Nexus. In order to accomplish this right now, users would need to install custom versions of Android like CyanogenMod. Complete with removable battery and expandable storage with the MicroSD card slot, this phone could certainly address this growing niche.

This Google Edition S4 is expected to be made available starting in June and will be available on T-Mobile bands. At this time we are unaware of pricing or whether more bands will be made available. It?s also unclear if Samsung will be selling the phone or if it will be available through the Google Play Store.

http://www.geek.com/...gle-io-1555174/

Awesome News

Ye it is great news. I use the Nexus 4 right now and i just love the pure Android system. A lot of my friends have the S3 and there is a big difference between the OS and i always preferred the pure Google system.

I wonder if Google will sell if from the Play Store, will the price be subsidised just like the N4 was.

I'm in the market for a new Android device, and I only go for pure Android (Nexus-style) ones. The Nexus 4 is just.... really unappealing. So I hope this thing goes on sale in the UK soon. ;)

This a great news I guess but what worries me are updates. After getting burnt with the Galaxy Nexus (great phone but held back by Samsung/carriers), I really hope all these pure Google phones are updated directly by Google and circumvent both the OEMs and carriers. Otherwise it's going to turn into a huge farce (again). Yes, I know you can root the phone and put any firmware you like on it, but what is the point of a pure Google phone that relies on the user to update it? makes it rather pointless in my opinion.

I'm in the market for a new Android device, and I only go for pure Android (Nexus-style) ones. The Nexus 4 is just.... really unappealing. So I hope this thing goes on sale in the UK soon. ;)

What do you mean by unappealing? In what way?

I use the N4 for months now and i thin it's amazing.

This a great news I guess but what worries me are updates. After getting burnt with the Galaxy Nexus (great phone but held back by Samsung/carriers), I really hope all these pure Google phones are updated directly by Google and circumvent both the OEMs and carriers. Otherwise it's going to turn into a huge farce (again). Yes, I know you can root the phone and put any firmware you like on it, but what is the point of a pure Google phone that relies on the user to update it? makes it rather pointless in my opinion.

I have the N4 and there was one update since i have it and it was perfect. The update came from Google and worked perfectly.

I have the N4 and there was one update since i have it and it was perfect. The update came from Google and worked perfectly.

That is what I mean, when Google take control and update the phone directly it's fantastic. However, when the OEM takes control (and/or the carrier interferes) it becomes are nightmare! my Galaxy Nexus is perfect example of what I don't want to see happen again. Because I got my Nexus from my carrier, it is not supported by Google (Samsung support all carrier supported variants, Google wanted nothing todo with it since they know dealing with the carriers is a pain) and Samsung couldn't careless about the phone and (rumour has it) they have dropped support entirely for the phone after 4.1.2 (well in Australia they have). So if you want anything later (despite Google supported Galaxy Nexus phones running 4.2.2 with rumours of getting 4.3 as well) it's tough luck and your forced to root the phone to get an update you should be getting.

To be honest it's left a very sour taste in my mouth and almost completely put me off getting another Nexus device (adding to the frustration is seeing OEM devices getting newer versions of Android and getting them faster)...sort of destroys the experience in my humble opinion.

That is what I mean, when Google take control and update the phone directly it's fantastic. However, when the OEM takes control (and/or the carrier interferes) it becomes are nightmare! my Galaxy Nexus is perfect example of what I don't want to see happen again. Because I got my Nexus from my carrier, it is not supported by Google (Samsung support all carrier supported variants, Google wanted nothing todo with it since they know dealing with the carriers is a pain) and Samsung couldn't careless about the phone and (rumour has it) they have dropped support entirely for the phone after 4.1.2 (well in Australia they have). So if you want anything later (despite Google supported Galaxy Nexus phones running 4.2.2 with rumours of getting 4.3 as well) it's tough luck and your forced to root the phone to get an update you should be getting.

To be honest it's left a very sour taste in my mouth and almost completely put me off getting another Nexus device (adding to the frustration is seeing OEM devices getting newer versions of Android and getting them faster)...sort of destroys the experience in my humble opinion.

Well, dont judge the whole thing by one experience. I believe that if Google will see the phone in it's Play Store then they will do all updates and everything, Samsung wont have anything to do with it. Just wait and see how things will roll. Besides a new Nexus should come out this year as well so that could be an option.

Well, dont judge the whole thing by one experience. I believe that if Google will see the phone in it's Play Store then they will do all updates and everything, Samsung wont have anything to do with it. Just wait and see how things will roll. Besides a new Nexus should come out this year as well so that could be an option.

Yeah I know, is why I said "almost" put me off getting another. The Nexus 4 was a step in the right direction and if they continue to keep doing that I may get my next phone direct from Google. I'm not due for a new phone for another year anyway, so wait and see what happens between now and then (Y)

Yeah I know, is why I said "almost" put me off getting another. The Nexus 4 was a step in the right direction and if they continue to keep doing that I may get my next phone direct from Google. I'm not due for a new phone for another year anyway, so wait and see what happens between now and then (Y)

If you are planing to purchase a phone from Google Play Store for example then there is no meaning for your contract. I would suggest in any case to purchase a phone without a contract. I do it for the past several years. I doesnt limit me from changing phones and it doesnt lock me to one company.

The design is a bit plasticy and a bit plain and also the performance is quite far down the line compared to the competition.

I've had a Galaxy Nexus for a over 18 months now, and it is a great phone. It was a super high end phone at the time of it's release. The Nexus 4 is not as high end as I'd like it to be.

I'd like something that has the performance of the HTC One but as a pure Android phone. I think this S4 thing will be the nearest I'll get. The S4 is a really ugly phone which is a shame but at least it has the performance and the display.

The design is a bit plasticy and a bit plain and also the performance is quite far down the line compared to the competition.

I've had a Galaxy Nexus for a over 18 months now, and it is a great phone. It was a super high end phone at the time of it's release. The Nexus 4 is not as high end as I'd like it to be.

I'd like something that has the performance of the HTC One but as a pure Android phone. I think this S4 thing will be the nearest I'll get. The S4 is a really ugly phone which is a shame but at least it has the performance and the display.

I see this from a lot of people, wanting top of the line phones with the best performance possible. The thing is phone today has hardware that is way over what the software really needs. What do you think the S4 is able to do that the N4 cant do? Of course i'm not saying to buy the N4 now because a new one is just around the corner but the race for the latest and best phone is most of the time not really logical.

About the design i cant argue but it's a matter of taste really. I think the design is actually really nice and simple.

If you are planing to purchase a phone from Google Play Store for example then there is no meaning for your contract. I would suggest in any case to purchase a phone without a contract. I do it for the past several years. I doesnt limit me from changing phones and it doesnt lock me to one company.

Well for the moment it does, still have 1 year left in my contract and getting a new phone now will force me break the current one (which has a hefty early termination fee). So the plan was to wait to when the contract is over (and current handset paid off) then buy a new handset direct from Google and move to a cheaper plan. That said that plan is not in concrete, depending on my financial situation at the time I might just get another phone on contract. It's more of a "I would like to" kinda plan but no guarantees I can follow through on it :laugh:

Well for the moment it does, still have 1 year left in my contract and getting a new phone now will force me break the current one (which has a hefty early termination fee). So the plan was to wait to when the contract is over (and current handset paid off) then buy a new handset direct from Google and move to a cheaper plan. That said that plan is not in concrete, depending on my financial situation at the time I might just get another phone on contract. It's more of a "I would like to" kinda plan but no guarantees I can follow through on it :laugh:

But if you purchase a phone from Google Play Store it comes without any contract or anything. And you dont break your contract with your carrier, you just switch to a different phone on the same contract.

But if you purchase a phone from Google Play Store it comes without any contract or anything. And you dont break your contract with your carrier, you just switch to a different phone on the same contract.

Which is a breach of contract. My mum tried that when her phone died (which was still in contract) and got a new phone and our carrier sent her a message that either she go back to using the old phone (that was contracted to her) or pay the early termination fee for breach of contract (we explained what happened and they wavered the fee and re-contracted). I have no idea how they found out, maybe the SIM card is locked to the particular phone and they know when it's switched to another phone? no idea. Either way, rather not risk it.

Which is a breach of contract. My mum tried that when her phone died (which was still in contract) and got a new phone and our carrier sent her a message that either she go back to using the old phone (that was contracted to her) or pay the early termination fee for breach of contract. I have no idea how they found out, maybe the SIM card is locked to the particular phone and they know when it's switched to another phone? no idea. Either way, rather not risk it.

Really?! I have never heard about such a thing. I've done this few times on few different carriers in few different countries and i have never had a problem. The contract is there to keep you from leaving the company why do they care what phone you use as long as you dont leave?!

Really?! I have never heard about such a thing. I've done this few times on few different carriers in few different countries and i have never had a problem. The contract is there to keep you from leaving the company why do they care what phone you use as long as you dont leave?!

Yeah really! I couldn't believe it when it happened...

EDIT: After some Googling; your carrier can tell what phone your using by the IMEI number, well that explains that. Apparently in some countries (like the US) consumers are protected and carriers cannot do squat when you switch phones with the same SIM. Guess Europeans are also protected by similar laws? guess us Aussies are not :(

Im surpised by the performance part of what you are saying - at the time of its release it was pretty much on par with the Iphone 5 which when you compare costs its almost half the price!

In terms of Android its fairly close to the top with models like the S4 and HTC One (all much newer release than the N4) being the ones to beat it;

http://browser.primatelabs.com/android-benchmarks

I think maybe my opinion on the N4 is hightened due to coming from a blackberry Curve before that so it seemed like a completely different league. I still feel though for the price you pay the phone is imo the best you could buy at the time, I know a few people with S3's and Notes and they seem like awesome phones but there also seems to be things I can do with mine and not many things they can do with theirs that I much prefer all due to the pure Android.

Yeah really! I couldn't believe it when it happened...

EDIT: After some Googling; your carrier can tell what phone your using by the IMEI number, well that explains that. Apparently in some countries (like the US) consumers are protected and carriers cannot do squat when you switch phones with the same SIM. Guess Europeans are also protected by similar laws? guess us Aussies are not :(

Ye, IMEI makes sense. Well, it really sucks that those are the rules in Australia.

GS4 running straight AOSP might be tempting :)

Played with the AT&T version the other day and it was pretty nice, not as big either as i'd think. So might be worth a look if it's actually true.

The only conditions I'd request is that:

1. Samsung isn't in charge of the update process as they are shoddy at it (GS2 owner so I should know!). Google clearly know how to do it (as has proved from the Nexus devices!)

2. Samsung releases the Exynos Source Code so Devs can truly support the CPU on board.

3. Give the current S4 owners the option to move over to the GE software wise without any problems. Eg. a current S4 owner can simply flash the ROM onto their S4. If it is truly just a Google Edition and no other hardware changes then this should be more than possible!

I have my doubts about whether this will actually happen though. I mean, why wouldn't it be called a Nexus device. After all, isn't that the whole point? A device that is running stock Android software is in the meaning of the term a Nexus device... right?

Only a few hours to see I guess :D

The only conditions I'd request is that:

1. Samsung isn't in charge of the update process as they are shoddy at it (GS2 owner so I should know!). Google clearly know how to do it (as has proved from the Nexus devices!)

2. Samsung releases the Exynos Source Code so Devs can truly support the CPU on board.

3. Give the current S4 owners the option to move over to the GE software wise without any problems. Eg. a current S4 owner can simply flash the ROM onto their S4. If it is truly just a Google Edition and no other hardware changes then this should be more than possible!

I have my doubts about whether this will actually happen though. I mean, why wouldn't it be called a Nexus device. After all, isn't that the whole point? A device that is running stock Android software is in the meaning of the term a Nexus device... right?

Only a few hours to see I guess :D

There has been talks about the Nexus 5 device. At first i think they were talking about LG making the next Nexus again but maybe whole S4 pure google rumour is actually the next Nexus device.

Doubt it as well since Samsung would then have to release Exynos source to be supported in AOSP. I guess they can still do blobs for some stuff but not sure about CPU.

SGS2 though as "bad" as it's been has actually been pretty good. It received ICS and JB (4.1.2) which is MUCH more than any other "old" phone out there (besides Nexus Devices).