How to sync Gmail contacts with WP8

Steven P.    17,449

This worked for me:

Email accounts > Create account > advanced setup

Username: <email address>

Domain: aspmx.l.google.com or google

Server: m.google.com

SSL: enabled

We here at Neowin use Gmail for domains (which should still sync, but doesn't) maybe it was removed because we're on the free version (under 50 email accounts).

Try it, because setting up as a Google account didn't work for me. It synced to Google, but didn't sync from Gmail contacts to WP8.

• Like 1
+Ely    218

Good tip for those who need this, thanks Neobond.

Geoffrey B.    1,415

Awesome, I was going to start looking for how to do this next week or so, as I plan on getting the Nokia Lumia 928 Next week.

MikeChipshop    3,458

Isn't this part of the getting started run time when you first start the phone? If not, i'm confused. Mine's always synced my Gmail contacts.

Nether the less, great guide. Cheers mate.

Steven P.    17,449

Isn't this part of the getting started run time when you first start the phone? If not, i'm confused. Mine's always synced my Gmail contacts.

Nether the less, great guide. Cheers mate.

No problem (Y)

But to answer your question, yeah it did sync contacts both ways but that is being shut off between Jan 31 and July 31st if you set it up as a Google Account. I discovered mine was already disabled, because I could update contacts on my phone and they were saved in Gmail contacts, but when I edited most of my contacts today in Gmail (because of the country flags being set wrong for most numbers) it refused to sync to WP8 when manually syncing.

I did what is in the OP and now it works :)

MikeChipshop    3,458

Right, better bookmark this then! :p

Not had an issue so far, but if it's on the horizon...

Steven P.    17,449

Microsoft will be rolling out CalDAV and CardDAV protocols to compensate but that will probably be with GDR2 (sometime in June) or after July 31st or thereabouts. So in the end it will start syncing again if you do nothing.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By +MJK
      Uber's plans for change include increased costs for riders and the option to tip drivers
      by Muhammad Jarir Kanji

The last year has been rather rough for Uber, with the company mired in one scandal after another, harming the ride sharing service's image among both riders and drivers. Following a controversial dispute with Waymo, the resignation of the company's second-in-command and CEO Travis Kalanick taking an indefinite leave from the company, Uber today announced a '180 days of change' campaign aimed at rejuvenating its brand and appeasing its increasingly frustrated drivers.

As the first part of this initiative, the company has announced the arrival of tipping for Uber drivers, a long requested feature. For now, only riders in Minneapolis, Seattle and Houston will have the option to tip their drivers, though the company has promised a nationwide rollout in the US by the end of July.

Alongside the possible increase in earnings from tips, drivers for Uber will also be pleased with some of the changes to the company's policies on wait times and cancelations that may also yield higher benefits. Cancelation times after which a fee needs to be paid have been reduced from 5 to 2 minutes. Waiting for a passenger for more than 2 minutes will also turn on the meter and drivers will be paid for any additional wait time. Ferrying a teen in your Uber also nets an additional $2, for some reason.

Improvements to Quests mean every trip made by a driver now counts toward the Quest total and these earnings can be immediately cashed using Instant Pay. There's also the option for Driver Injury Protection Insurance, the costs of which will be offset by a slightly higher per-mile rate, for added protection against personal or financial injury while on the job.

These, and other changes to follow in the next 180 days, are sure to allay at least some of the concerns of Uber drivers but the increased costs, and Uber's adoption of policies that no longer promise a fixed per-mile cost, may not sit well with customers and shrink the service's relative advantage over traditional taxis in terms of pricing.

Source: Uber via Engadget

• By Alwaysonacoffebreak
      So, please tell me again what's the point in sending in tips? Last time I got an answer from Steven that now when Neowin has 3 writers tips could be published more often, after that I've sent in 3 - guess what, none were published.

I mean a singing light bulb is top story but when, oh I don't know, Zalman goes belly up in 3 billion dollar fraud, AMD releases new Cazzario's, Samsung Freesync monitors incoming (to fight off Gsync or what ever that was) that's nothing? Really?

The AMD side I don't even mind anymore, since most of the writers here over the years have had some bias against them.

I really wouldn't mind but I find it laughable that a singing lightbulb is on the top section and none of these actually matter :)
    • By einsteinbqat
      You probably already know that you can drag a folder to the Finder Sidebar for easy, rapid access. However, did you know that you can drag any file, folder or app to the Finder Toolbar for rapid access?

Now, you know.

Cheers!
    • By Sandor
      Always a perennial debate. So how do you do it?

I've allowed multiple votes as people don't always just fall exclusively into one area. Not particularly scientific so if the questions suck....deal with it. Don't slag people off for their choice(s) if possible ;)
    • By Steven P.
      Go to Control Panel and search for AutoPlay, select "Change default settings for media or devices" look for the Devices section and change the default behavior:

No more annoyance when connecting via USB :D and choose when you want to launch the Windows Phone app.