Chromium Likely to Replace Firefox As Default Browser in Ubuntu 13.10

Sorry I caught on to this issue so late but, Chromium? Why are they defaulting to Chromium instead of Chrome? (scratches head)

Sorry I caught on to this issue so late but, Chromium? Why are they defaulting to Chromium instead of Chrome? (scratches head)

Chromium is open-source, Chrome is not. Canonical prefers to maintain absolute control over the core software in their distribution.

Chromium is open-source, Chrome is not. Canonical prefers to maintain absolute control over the core software in their distribution.

ah ok. then I am terribly confused. thanks for clearing that up. Chromium sounds good since it's open source but basically chrome. also some website require chrome and it is recognized as chrome. that's a great benefit

Firefox's performance on Linux is still sub-par compared to Chrome/Chromium, so this makes sense from that perspective.

The memory overhead in Chrome is caused by tab process isolation.

Actually, Opera will be moving to Blink instead. As a browser it definitely has the best implementation of mouse gestures, though I don't find it as good as Chrome.

Thanks I didn't know that.

I think the reason's canonical has listed for switching to be pretty stupid (they are switching to chromium because ubuntu touch uses webkit? yet chrome is moving away from webkit to blink) Doesn't really make much sense.

However I don't particularly care what the default browser is because its easy to install one of your preference.

Did someone say it's because you have the Ubuntu phone and the Firefox phone both coming out and Ubuntu want to distance their brand from Firefox for that reason?