New Super Luigi U release date, standalone ver. revealed

q5anuYP.jpg

Luigi is rockin' it hardcore! The upcoming New Super Mario Bros. U expansion, New Super Luigi U, is ready to drop on eShop on June 20 for $19.99. Not only that, there will be a special standalone disc, which doesn't require you to own the original, coming August 25 for $29.99.

We weren't sure in the past if there would be multiplayer, but Iwata has confirmed that it's present in full force. You can play as Luigi, Blue Toad, Yellow Toad, or... NABBIT! Yes, the purple thief that you had to chase down in certain levels! Nabbit can't power up using items, but he'll be completely invulnerable. What a little badass!

I'm excited! You excited? I'm super excited!

Nintendo has lost it.

Why bother making a whole new game when you can continuously rehash the same one.

NSMB came out on DS, then Wii then 3DS then Wii U now they are releasing expansions.

• Like 1

Nintendo has lost it.

Why bother making a whole new game when you can continuously rehash the same one.

NSMB came out on DS, then Wii then 3DS then Wii U now they are releasing expansions.

Nintendo makes a game similar to a previous title: "omg nintendo so bad".

Anyone else does the same thing: *insert praise here*.

Also, you clearly haven't played any of them if you're seriously trying to imply they're all exactly the same game in every way.

Where did I say they were exactly the same?

I've played all the NSMB games starting with the DS thanks.

The Wii U needs some killer titles, it needs a brand new built from the ground up Mario/Zelda/Metroid, not a HD versions of Wii games.

Where did I say they were exactly the same?

not a HD versions of Wii games.

Right there actually.

I'm glad with the original NSMB they differentiated it with the 'New' prefix because it looks and reacts very little like the old good SMB engines. I wouldn't ever play NSMB, it looks incredibly dull, the music is nothing but bloody annoying and the motion looks like they're tried slowing down time. SMB for the SNES still excites me today, I look at this and can see why nintendo is failing, nothing about it at all excites me.

Nintendo has lost it.

Actually, they've very different games. For what it's worth, Super Mario Bros U is one of the best/most fun games I've played in some time.

Are there any plans for a Mario Galaxy 3?

There's supposed to be a new 3d mario announced soon, as we get closer to e3. It may or may not be related to galaxy though, who knows.

Nintendo has lost it.

cough:capcom:cough

Nintendo has lost it.

Then Activision must have lost it too.

Oh wait people are still buying Activision's rehashed crap in mass :( Call of Duty 17 : Modern Warfare 7 Ghost Edition Gold Version 2 (now coming with the same crap old engine).

I don't think Nintendo really lost it. Its strategy is wait and see. We gamers might no like it but from a business perspective it's probably the best strategy in the long run. No way Nintendo can compete with Microsoft's pile of cash until Microsoft pulls an IE6 mistake in the console market.

Is this brand new levels or just the current levels "Luigi-ized?"

I have to get back to NSMBU. I stopped playing it for other games, but I did enjoy it a lot.

Anyone else does the same thing: *insert praise here*.

False. People criticise the seemingly endless release of FPSs all the time.

Is this brand new levels or just the current levels "Luigi-ized?"

I have to get back to NSMBU. I stopped playing it for other games, but I did enjoy it a lot.

New Super Luigi U keeps the core Mario game's world map but "has completely changed all 82 stages to let you experience a brand new adventure," Nintendo said.

The game's alternative star character, Luigi, is able to jump higher than Mario but does not have the same level of control - meaning that new challenges will be found within older levels.

During 4-player multiplayer Mario is replaced by the character Nabbit, who featured in a non-playable form in the original game.

I'll pick this up, I do like that they are giving a discount for the digital version vs the disk version (yes I realize you most will need to own the original for the digital version) but lets face it, if you bought a Wii U, you most likely picked up mario. I will most likely pay the $10 extra for the disk version as I am against the digital media idea.

I love Mario on the Wii U. Definitely going to pick this up. :)

Just like Super Mario Bros. 2, Luigi had that high jump and less control than the other characters.