What would I miss in not buying HTC One Dev Edition

I've had a couple of iPhones over the years (4S is my main device presently) and I've become quite unhappy with the way things are at the moment. The keyboard still sucks, you can't change default apps, the screen is way too small compared to other devices so I'm considering a change to the Android boat.

I've agonised over the decision between the HTC One and Galaxy S4. The low megapixels in the One are a huge hit for me but the quality still seems okay enough; I hope I'm not making a mistake in that regard as the crappy camera in my HTC Mozart 7 was one of the main reasons I went back to iPhone in the first place. While I don't use my phone for professional shots, grainy pictures make me very very angry.

Anyway, I think I've settled on the One mainly because of the design.

I intend to buy an unlocked version off the HTC site and there is the normal unlocked, and there's a developer edition. I understand the developer edition has an unlocked bootloader but what I don't understand is what that entails exactly. It obviously allows for custom roms to be installed but are there any that are truly worthwhile additions? I don't need the extra space, and at this stage I don't see any reason to spend the extra money on the dev edition at all.

The HTC One has a better camera, it has lower megapixels but a larger sensor than the S4 which means better quality images. The S4 still has a great camera but having a larger sensor is better for quality than pumping up the megapixels on a small sensor.

You can unlock the bootloader on the unlocked version for free http://www.xda-devel...a-developer-tv/ don't spend extra for 'Developer Edition'

Custom roms are usually the fastest way to get the latest version of android or an 'AOSP' plain themed version before HTC loads all its Sense stuff on top if that matters to you.

The HTC One has a better camera, it has lower megapixels but a larger sensor than the S4 which means better quality images. The S4 still has a great camera but having a larger sensor is better for quality than pumping up the megapixels on a small sensor.

i was just about to saying the same. htc ones cam is probably the first cam in a smartphone going for a different concept. results were not good at the beginning, but htc brought out an update already fixing the camera problem.

I got my HTC One 2 days ago and love it. Unlocked and installed a custom rom right away (very easy)

the dev edition has unlocked bootloader buit in, but I dunno if its S-OFF'd?