Installing infinality freetype/fontconfig in debian 7

I'm loving debian wheezy so far, but the font rendering was making my eyes bleed :). I set out to find out how I could install the wonderful infinality packages in debian (http://www.infinality.net/blog/) so I could get awesome font rendering. Unfortunately I did not find any repository for these packages for debian, but I did find a quick way to build some .deb packages for debian wheezy, and it worked great for me (source: http://forums.debian...hp?f=16&t=88545)

1. Clone the git repo and cd to the directory:

git clone https://github.com/chenxiaolong/Debian-Packages.git
[/CODE]

[CODE]
cd Debian-Packages/
[/CODE]

2. Install the build dependencies and tools needed to build the packages. first do: [b]sudo apt-get install build-essential devscripts[/b]. next, run the following command and install the packages it lists using apt-get or synaptic

[CODE]
cd freetype-infinality/
dpkg-checkbuilddeps
cd ../fontconfig-infinality/
dpkg-checkbuilddeps[/CODE]

3. Build the packages:

[CODE]cd ../freetype-infinality/
./build.sh
cd ../fontconfig-infinality/
./build.sh[/CODE]

4. Install the deb files:

[CODE]cd ..
sudo dpkg -i freetype-infinality/*.deb fontconfig-infinality/*.deb[/CODE]

You have to reboot to see any changes. If you want to customize the rendering you can:

[CODE]
cd /etc/fonts/infinality
sudo ./infctl.sh setstyle [yourpreferredstyle]
[/CODE]

available styles are: infinality, linux, osx, osx2, win7, win98, winxp

You can tweak additional settings in the file: [b]/etc/profile.d/infinality-settings.sh[/b]. the file is very well commented.

On my machine I like to use the linux style, and then use the "ubuntu" preset in infinality-settings.sh to get the following results:post-159052-0-85284300-1369011566.png

[i]edit 1: edited git clone command because ipb destroyed it with url tags :p[/i]

While the font rendering in Wheezy doesn't bother me, I wouldn't mind trying to make it better. I may have to try this sometime soon. If I like it enough I might even add it to my personal APT repository.

On a completely unrelated note, I have been considering making a guide for installing and configuring Debian. I have answered numerous questions from other Neowin members about specific configuration details, and I think I have a fairly good understanding of common misconceptions, common setup problems, and general system mechanics. As fellow Linux enthusiasts, what is your opinion? Should I attempt to make (1) a general Debian installation guide, (2) a comprehensive installation guide, (3) a general installation guide with separate sections for the specifics (like an FAQ or Troubleshooting section), or (4) is it not worth my time because there are enough guides available elsewhere?

As an ancillary to the last question, would it be worthwhile for me to attempt to whip my personal APT repository into a releasable state? It would take a significant amount of work - much more so than any version of the guide I proposed - but it would generally make it easier for others to mimic my Debian setup. I realize that this proposal would be bordering on distribution territory - I really have no desire to compete with Shift 2 or any other distro - but it might be worth my effort if enough other members are interested.

I'd like a guide. I would like a general and comprehensive guide, if you can muster it. If not, I'll just ask you! :laugh: