Xbox: A New Generation Revealed

I am not sure why people think it is huge, a simple look at the disk tray makes me think it is about 2.5 disc by 2.5 disc. One disc here is the diameter of a DVD/bd.

Its bigger than the slim, so the power pack better be in there, tho the fact that it wasn't shown leaves that open to speculation.

A simple look at Xbox One elicits an image of a VCR :woot: . On a serious note, I think Microsoft was actually aiming for the Xbox One to fit or blend in with your other entertainment hardware (reason it looks like a DVR, etc)

post-455563-0-19517900-1369195102.jpg

I noticed they emphasized the new Xbox's multimedia capability alot more than its gaming capability throughout the presentation. I've come to believe Microsoft really wants the next Xbox to be more as a media player first, and a gaming machine second.

....but more a betamax top loader 'going back to the 80's' video player lol :laugh:

(most xbox fanboys won't even remember them lol)

People already have smartphones, tablets, Google TV, Apple TV, DVRs, Smart TVs, they don't need a $400-500 console that does everything they already have.

That is the problem - people today need a multitude of devices to get all the entertainment content at once on the TV. Why not a single 400-500 USD device to replace most of them. A TV and a smartphone - all that one should need for your entertainment. And don't get me started on smart TVs - they are underpowered, laggy, weird UIs and physical interfaces - they are more hassle than worth. I like my TVs to be able to just display what was sent to them, and one device to decide what should be sent to them. If the XB 0ne can be this device that pools together all your entertainment content - live TV, streaming videos services off the Internet, physical DVDs, local and streamed music, content on your NAS/home server/computer, games, photos everything, what's wrong with it?

This just keeps getting worse and worse. You have to pay full RRP for used games!

"But what if you want to bring a game disc to a friend's house and play there? You'll have to pay a fee?and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game?in order to use a game's code on a friend's account. Think of it like a new game, Harrison says."

http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825

Are MS trying to bomb on purpose?

You could jus log in with your account. Easy.

I am a bit disappointed actually. Most of the hardware specs were in line with what was expectable.

The only critical point for me was the backward compatibility: I have a huge backlog of games on my 360.

Since it is not there, for me, the new Xbox has been moved from an easy no-brainer day-one purchase to a 'I'll be it when a game makes me swoon'

Now, Microsoft, impress me with more games reveal

Reveal event was fairly disappointing for me personally. Don't pay for cable as I don't really watch TV and there was very little with regards to actual games that was shown. They mentioned their 15 exclusives coming within a year and was hoping to see more than 2 of those being shown there. Guess we'll have to wait a few weeks for E3 to see what they have in store. Very underwhelming as I expected a lot more from them after the PS4 event back in February and there was way too much entertainment stuff when I'm buying this to primarily play games.

I noticed they emphasized the new Xbox's multimedia capability alot more than its gaming capability throughout the presentation. I've come to believe Microsoft really wants the next Xbox to be more as a media player first, and a gaming machine second.

That's exactly what they said they were going to present at this reveal. How did you expect any different? The games are going to be at E3, like they also stated. And they've always been going this direction. Xbox One os your one stop for all your media needs. Its not less about games as it ever was bit it is more about other things as well on top of games.

Disappointed with the reveal. :(

The main positive I see right now is the controller looks even better than the 360, and I thought the 360 controller was the best.

Did you not read a single thing I said? Just because you don't, doesn't mean that others don't.

I've asked this in another thread, but what good does this system actually bring to consumers?

I can switch games instantly without switching disc, I can go upstairs and play any of my games, without bringing the discs to my other Xbox.

Ah no, they want it to be an all in one device, that does everything equally awesome.

Of course they're going to emphasize on the media capabilities cuz it's something new, also, not everyone is a gamer so MS is targeting it at a larger audience.

They did show off the gaming capabilities just as much, and proved how incredible it will be at gaming.

I don't understand how people cant fathom the idea that it's designed to do everything. Like they mentioned, to be the number one thing in your living room.

post-8424-0-16029100-1369198982.png

Not really, but gaming is for E3 and we already know it can play awesome games, it's a game console after all. They're focusing on new stuff and features.

Ah no, they want it to be an all in one device, that does everything equally awesome.

Of course they're going to emphasize on the media capabilities cuz it's something new, also, not everyone is a gamer so MS is targeting it at a larger audience.

They did show off the gaming capabilities just as much, and proved how incredible it will be at gaming.

I don't understand how people cant fathom the idea that it's designed to do everything. Like they mentioned, to be the number one thing in your living room.

Especially since the competition - specifically, Sony's PS3 - is used more as a BD player than anything else - including a gaming console. (And THAT shocking result came from a poll comissioned by Sony itself.)

Then there IS that price issue (which originally reared its ugly mug WITH the PS3) - with a price that high, gaming won't be enough to sell large quantities - especially to families. And that is even in a GOOD economy, which the current one is anything but. Games aside, XB ONE plain and simply thrashes what is out there today. (I don't own a console - therefore, I am taking no sides whatever.)

Until I have a better idea of content for both XB ONE and PS4 (which won't be until E3) and price (same deal applies), Sony, you are on the clock.

I can switch games instantly without switching disc, I can go upstairs and play any of my games, without bringing the discs to my other Xbox.

If you really can switch games without switching discs that explains the used games fee.

Honestly I don't mind this happening at all, I don't lend games or borrow games from friends anyway.

After a quick skim of the Architectural roundtable thing after the event they said that the GPU does 768 operations per cycle. The leak that came out a couple of months ago which got all the PS4 specs right said that the X1 GPU will be 12CU with a combined 768 shader threads.

Which means the X1 will have a GPU that is 50% weaker than the PS4 GPU.

Microsoft has made a terrible mistake banking on the media functions that will only work in the US at launch with weak specs to bring the price down so they can bundle kinect in the box.

I was hoping it wouldn't be true but like this gen with the PS3 dragging the graphics down for multiplatform, the X1 is going to do it next gen.

If only the ops per second was the ony thing affecting graphics performance, but lets ignore the other parts of the console that may offset this. As well as the cloud computing.

Yeah lets move those goalposts.

They can't have cloud computing supplementing the graphics, not everyone will have an online xbox, can you imagine the sh*tstorm if they allowed cloud connecting Xbox to have better graphics.

As for "other parts" none of which were talked about in the Architectural briefing, no move engines, no secret sauce. Having a tiny pool of fast memory isn't going to offset the graphics power.

If only the ops per second was the ony thing affecting graphics performance, but lets ignore the other parts of the console that may offset this. As well as the cloud computing.

What 'other parts'? Don't tell me you still beleive things like those so called 'move engines' that were mentioned in the leaks will somehow magically make a significantly weaker gpu able to compete with the ps4.

I think, for the answer to that we'll have to wait until there's some actual real world data and not just pure hyped numbers and rumored numbers that are in essence meaningless.

• Like 2