Indie Developers Won

I like the stuff that comes out of the "indie" scene, so this might be the biggest reason I go for the PS4 instead of the Xbox One.

Or maybe I'll just get a new PC.

I personally don't think INDY games will make or break any of these consoles. Microsoft isn't blind to the popularity of games but they also know they need to publish quality content or they dilute the brand. Steam doesn't necessarily have to worry about that since they're clearly self publishing systems.

Does sony want to do with that? maybe.. If Sony pushes hard, Microsoft will push back. That's the beauty of competition.

I personally don't think INDY games will make or break any of these consoles. Microsoft isn't blind to the popularity of games but they also know they need to publish quality content or they dilute the brand. Steam doesn't necessarily have to worry about that since they're clearly self publishing systems.

Does sony want to do with that? maybe.. If Sony pushes hard, Microsoft will push back. That's the beauty of competition.

Well steam has some very extensive vetting of "indie" games before allowing them on the store. And the ones that make it through rarely qualify as indie games anyway, they're generally rather smaller games by smaller dev studios without a publisher because they think they make more money without them. Just because you're a small tea or even a one man operation who chose to it have a publisher doesn't make you "indie" the term is so watered down and overused as a marketing term it's useless now. The only places to see true indie games is on the indie games section on the 360 and on the pc from the developers own web pages. And these games are rarely any good.

Of course marketing abuse of indie because hipsters think indie is cool has lead everyone to think small/"arcade" games are indie.

Either way, we don't know what MS will do with indie yet, probably there will be an expansion of the indie channel and open it more up for more regions and more power and control to the devs

Uhhh Braid developer has talked openly about MS wanting things timed exclusive on XBLA

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/126427/Interview_Jonathan_Blow__Xbox_Live_Arcade_A_Pain_In_The_Ass_For_Indies.php

Of course they do... Kind of like how Sony has several exclusives on PSN...

And the ones that make it through rarely qualify as indie games anyway, they're generally rather smaller games by smaller dev studios without a publisher because they think they make more money without them.

Um, that is the definition of 'indie', Independent Developer, creating games without the financial help of a publisher.

Actually there's a lot more to it than that, the difference is that these new "indie" games have dev budgets that put them outside of what should be indie. Indie used to be games that wouldn't be supported by a publisher, hence they had to be indie. Today games that would have no trouble finding a proper publisher is being released as indie for pure marketing reason. Simple smaller arcade games sell better to he hipster crowd if you call it indie.

• 4 weeks later...

Sigh, if you're just going to make up BS FUD like that, please stick to your Sony forum.

am I just going to go around and claim that sony only allows self publishing if you sign a 2 year deal and 80% of the profits to Sony ? it's about as well sourced as that stuff you posted there.

Simply because people like to tell me I post FUD and don't do research, here we go right from the mouth of a developer.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/194311/Video_Shipping_Retro_City_Rampage_on_17_SKUs_at_once.php

Watch @ 5:45 for MS specifics. /bow

since I have no interest in watching the video what's the tldr.

Whatever it says I don't' see what the relation is since we're half a year from launch, and MS, you know the guys who make the console and software and policies, have said they have  system in place for small/indie developers who self publish. 

I think MS knows more about what they're doing. 

since I have no interest in watching the video what's the tldr.

Whatever it says I don't' see what the relation is since we're half a year from launch, and MS, you know the guys who make the console and software and policies, have said they have system in place for small/indie developers who self publish.

I think MS knows more about what they're doing.

I'm sure you have no interest in spending 1 minute to watch a video in your web browser. You love trying to prove people wrong on here, especially me, so I assume you've watched it and rightfully so have no counter argument to the 360 publishing comments made in this topic.

I generally dislike the whole "everything must be on a fricking video on the internet" thing. I prefer reading my stuff on the internet, be it news, interviews or tutorials or whatever. I can't very well watch a video on the internet while watching TV or such, with a well written article I can focus on it as I please and I Don't have to go hunting for timecodes, I can just quote stuff. 

it's probably a result of horrible modern education and that most modern "journalists"(read: bloggers(read: basement dwellers with attention needs)) that can't write anymore. 

So no I haven't watched it. 

Also if it's about the 360. what does it have to do with the Xbox one ?