Jony Ive

jonyive090122.png?w=618

We?ve known for a while that Apple design guru Jony Ive would be bringing his own distinctive stamp to iOS 7 and now we?re getting some more details about what that stamp might look like. One of 9to5Mac?s sources describes the new version of iOS as ?black, white and flat all over,? meaning that there will be fewer heavy textures and more interface elements that come in plain black and white.

What sort of specific changes does this entail, then? According to 9to5Mac, one obvious change will be to the iPhone?s unlock screen, which ?will drop the shiny, transparent time bar on the top of the Lock screen in exchange for a shine-free, black interface.? 9to5Mac also says that Ive has ?inspired the iOS design team to replace many of the linen and leather textures found in iOS? with flat white and black coloring,? so it seems that textures on major iOS apps will be significantly simplified and will have less gloss.

One key piece of iOS will remain largely unchanged, however: The home screen. 9to5Mac?s sources indicate that the only major change to the home screen will be that app icons will ?lose shine, shadows and gloss? but will still be ?round and just as tappable.?

Given that Ive has made his name employing simple, minimalist designs for Apple?s hardware, it?s not surprising that he wants to bring a similar type of aesthetic to Apple?s software. On the other hand, as 9to5Mac notes, the current design of iOS has been wildly successful and Ive could have a challenge on his hands in getting some users to accept some of the changes he?s made to an operating system that has mostly looked the same since its outset.

http://bgr.com/2013/05/24/jony-ive-ios-7-design-rumor/

so the followed has become the follower?

I believe they follow others for several years now. Always behind other better phones on the market.

I believe they follow others for several years now. Always behind other better phones on the market.

I'm talking about the UI graphics not all parts of the phone, everyone wanted to copy apple, now its like apple is looking at google and MS and saying oh flat ah ha!

Black and white? Is color not hipster enough anymore?

well the UI will go black and white, but to make up for it your iPhone will be available in 16 colors, each taking another 4 months to roll out due to "mfg issues"

I'm talking about the UI graphics not all parts of the phone, everyone wanted to copy apple, now its like apple is looking at google and MS and saying oh flat ah ha!

Just like when Apple/iOS was number one and everyone wanted to copy them to get market share, now Apple looks at Android which is number one and copy them.

This is the problem with Apple, instead of keep being innovative over the years they just made relatively small changes compared to Google for example. Now they are paying for it by loosing market share.

Apple have been steadily draining the colour out of OS X. I knew it was only a matter of time before it went back to the old monochrome days. Guess iOS has beaten it to it. Unless they have something for 10.9...

main.gif

Apple have been steadily draining the colour out of OS X. I knew it was only a matter of time before it went back to the old monochrome days. Guess iOS has beaten it to it. Unless they have something for 10.9...

main.gif

OS XI will introduce a whole new memory saving feature, called 1bit video, you can store over 30x more data into 1bit video then you can in 32bit video

It will revolutionize the industry... and with retina displays, that dithering will look just like gray to your eye

I'm really curious to see this revamp... Not sure why, as I don't use an iPhone, but I'm just really curious to see what they come up with...

• Like 1

In all fashion, that which was old, becomes new again.

gawd I sure hope the pages of animated GIF's colors that don't match and horrible comic sans font sites don't come back

• Like 2

I'm really curious to see this revamp... Not sure why, as I don't use an iPhone, but I'm just really curious to see what they come up with...

Same here, not using an iPhone but i do want to see what will happen. The reason being is that i believe that if iPhone 5S/6 + iOS 7 wont be something truly different and amazing it will for sure be the beginning of the end of the iPhone. Android is taking most of the market share this year anyway and with that Apple will loss big.

i am not really sure why everything i moving to the flat theme however, i have always loved a flat minimalistic UI for everything.

Black and white? Is color not hipster enough anymore?

Apple may as well do it before MS does in their next UI. Going back in time seems to be in these days.

black & white

now, if his picture were put in black & white gradient,

he does look like steven sinofsky siblings,

ironicaly this was pointed out by peoples who disagree with them.

jonyive090122.png?w=618

EiP1pl0.jpg

Mark my words, 2014 will be the year of flat Linux.

Heh. My linux has been flat for ages. With black background. And white text. And a hell lot of typing.

It won't.

You seem sure about that. There are literally hundreds of rumours that don't actually happen every year on tech sites.

1) I'm not feeling the black and white

2) By the time iOS 7 goes flat, and MS gets Modern UI fixed, flat will no longer be cool. :/ Then what?