Windows 8 / 10: Shutdown Hibernation hybrid : Consumers confused.

You have shown, that in your mind people who don't understand the things you do, are "idiots".

they are, there is nothing wrong with that word. they are computer idiots. they know what they need to know to do their limited computing. They use computer daily, but they're computer idiots, just like I'm a car idiot, or plumbing idiot, despite using the plumbing in my house many times every day.

I wouldn't say  it boots faster than Windows 7. Because that implies it's actually doing a full boot, which it technically isn't doing. :D

again you are wrong, as long as the power is fully off, as it is in hibernation it does a full "boot" as that merely refers to the boot strap. ;)

Good point, but at the same time that's only because it's still plugged in. If you were to unplug it then then it would be consuming no power, other than the CMOS batter.

Well, yes, obviously, but (the majority?) of average users don't know that; me and you do. :shiftyninja:

I wouldn't say  it boots faster than Windows 7. Because that implies it's actually doing a full boot, which it technically isn't doing. :D

If you want to go literal, how the OS starts is not part of the boot process. The "full boot" in pre-Windows 8 includes hardware detection, which is part of setup/install and shouldn't be in simple boot.

Below is a mockup of a power menu would inform the user what is going on.

Your suggestion is like:

ma-31824080-WEB.jpg

PS_0263W_NOT_DRILL_PIC2.jpg

There is absolutely no reason to label "shutdown" as "this is not a restart" when it's right next to the text button "restart". Doing so is just admitting defeat and giving up on humanity. It insults the user's intelligence.

Maybe they should rename Internet Explorer and Spartan to "This is not Google Chrome" and rename the window close button to "this is not the minimize button" button.

There is absolutely no reason to label "shutdown" as "this is not a restart" when it's right next to the text button "restart". Doing so is just admitting defeat and giving up on humanity. It insults the user's intelligence.

Maybe they should rename Internet Explorer and Spartan to "This is not Google Chrome" and rename the window close button to "this is not the minimize button" button.

That's a bad example because in this case people are actually thinking Internet Explorer is Google Chrome.

That's a bad example because in this case people are actually thinking Internet Explorer is Google Chrome.

Whaaaat?

man sometimes you go off on weird tangents in this discussion and I'm not sure you even remember what your original argument was as you keep deflecting it with weird off topic tangents. 

Whaaaat?

man sometimes you go off on weird tangents in this discussion and I'm not sure you even remember what your original argument was as you keep deflecting it with weird off topic tangents. 

It was a bad example. ... he said

When I said people think internet explorer is Google chrome, I mean that as the way use was using it as an example. As if to say People do think Shut down is a restart, so putting "This is not a restart" next to it wouldn't be retarded because they DO think its a restart.

I have found this thread to be an interesting read, when done, I hit shut down on my win 7 machine, I like to think it's fully powered off and will go cold, Of the few times I've tried 8 and 8.1, I never noticed a hybrid shutdown and it would take almost a minute booting to desktop from pressing the power button.

Now I'll admit I didn't know about the shutdown isn't a shutdown in 8 and up.

I have found this thread to be an interesting read, when done, I hit shut down on my win 7 machine, I like to think it's fully powered off and will go cold, Of the few times I've tried 8 and 8.1, I never noticed a hybrid shutdown and it would take almost a minute booting to desktop from pressing the power button.

Now I'll admit I didn't know about the shutdown isn't a shutdown in 8 and up.

Is the feature enabled?

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6320-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

• Like 1

I have run computers WITHOUT a single restart for over a year; yes, uptime over a year. Didn't face any issue.

May be you should get your facts checked.

aye same:

FreeBSD mortalkomb.at 8.1-STABLE FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE #4: Sun Oct  3 22:26:58 EDT 2010     root@gunit.illusionrunwild.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/gunit.kern  amd64

4:30PM  up 788 days, 11:36, 7 users, load averages: 0.10, 0.19, 0.16

Had a call from a an older woman tonight, Who had Windows 8.1. Her computer could no longer connect to the internet on wifi. It would connect to the wifi but IE would just show a white page. She called the ISP tech support and try tried a bunch of stuff but couldn't get it to work. So I talked to her over the phone.

I asked her have you restarted the computer? She said yes a bunch of times, it hasn't helped. I asked her by restart, do you mean you clicked restart or you just turned the computer on and off. She said she turned the computer on and off a bunch of times it hasn't helped. Then, I take a deep breath, and go into the explanation on why she should restart and not shut down.

Then she asked me "Well if I can't turn it off and back on how am I suppose to restart?" .. I then tell her again you click on power and select restart instead of shut down. After she restarted her internet worked without issue! :)

• 11 months later...

After just finishing a call from a customer who's internet wasn't working .. asked if they've restarted the computer they tell me they shut it down every night, blah blah blah, restart fixed it.

After reading through this thread start to finish, something occurred to me. I think I was going at this argument the wrong way. I realized that in every sense of the word, windows 10 and Windows 8 machines are in fact shutting down. So everyone is correct about that.

The difference is what happens when you turn it back on.

When a person shuts a computer off they assuming 2 things. First most people assume that by selecting shut down they are turning off the computer. In that assumption they would be 100% correct, the computer is completely off, they can even unplug it if they want.

The second assumption is that when they turn the computer back on it's going through it's regular startup process. That part would be incorrect. Most people assume that when you turn something off and turn it back on it goes through every phase of the boot up process.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Not 

12 3 910

Someone mentioned DVD players and how when you "shut them off" or hit the off button they aren't actually off but asleep. They are also correct. Accept for when you unplug it. Plug it back in and it "restarts".

I'd also like people in this thread to ask 3 people  (friends and family ) the following question(s)

"If your computer is not acting right do you restart the computer or do you turn the computer off and back on"

If they answer no they restart it. then ask them

"Whenever you turn the computer off, when you turn it back on is it restarting the computer?"

All 3 of them are friends

1st person (slightly Younger than me)

24196014203_72b672e631_b.jpg

Not only was that the very first person asked, but she's also going to college for some profession in computers.

2nd Person (slightly Younger than me)

24195866064_d822c1f112_b.jpg

3rd person (around my age)

24197203963_be72c19f9f_b.jpg

1 hour ago, warwagon said:

After just finishing a call from a customer who's internet wasn't working .. asked if they've restarted the computer they tell me they shut it down every night, blah blah blah, restart fixed it.

After reading through this thread start to finish, something occurred to me. I think I was going at this argument the wrong way. I realized that in every sense of the word, windows 10 and Windows 8 machines are in fact shutting down. So everyone is correct about that.

The difference is what happens when you turn it back on.

When a person shuts a computer off they assuming 2 things. First most people assume that by selecting shut down they are turning off the computer. In that assumption they would be 100% correct, the computer is completely off, they can even unplug it if they want.

The second assumption is that when they turn the computer back on it's going through it's regular startup process. That part would be incorrect. Most people assume that when you turn something off and turn it back on it goes through every phase of the boot up process.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Not 

12 3 910

Someone mentioned DVD players and how when you "shut them off" or hit the off button they aren't actually off but asleep. They are also correct. Accept for when you unplug it. Plug it back in and it "restarts".

I'd also like people in this thread to ask 3 people  (friends and family ) the following question

"If your computer start is not acting right do you restart the computer or do you turn the computer off and back on"

All 3 of them are friends

1st person (slightly Younger than me)

24196014203_72b672e631_b.jpg

Not only was that the very first person asked, but she's also going to college for some profession in computers.

2nd Person (slightly Younger than me)

24195866064_d822c1f112_b.jpg

3rd person (around my age)

24197203963_be72c19f9f_b.jpg

Anecdotal. Everyone I know reboots it. 

13 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Anecdotal. Everyone I know reboots it. 

True, but if you then ask them,  "Whenever you turn the computer off, when you turn it back on is it restarting the computer?" .. what would they say?

2 minutes ago, warwagon said:

True, but if you then ask them,  "Whenever you turn the computer off, when you turn it back on is it restarting the computer?" .. what would they say?

Why would it matter what they call it? Nobody I know turns their computer off and back on to restart. 

• Eric locked this topic