Opera Next - Anyone else using it?

Just downloaded and installed Opera Next, liking so far, just wondered if anyone else was using it and what your thoughts was?

So far I'm kinda liking the Speed Dial :) Although I do miss the traditional bookmarking.

I'm waiting until more features are added. This release is just an alpha/tech preview so its basically a basic shell with a chromium renderer. I'm sure it will get much better. I really hope they add opera's awesome smooth scrolling, chromium's smooth scrolling sucks :p

I am using it on my android though. I don't need many features out of a browser on android and I really love the new opera's UI on android, much better than chrome's which gets very cramped fast.

it's missing so many features that its unusable. userjs and usercss? bookmarks? customizable ui? sidebar? resizable speeddial? wand? advanced (or any) options? adblock? rss? this list goes on endlessly, just look at the comments in the dekstopteam blog. its nothing like opera was before. they shouldn't have released it in its current state. i just hope a lot of the features find their way back into the final release.

it's missing so many features that its unusable. userjs and usercss? bookmarks? customizable ui? sidebar? resizable speeddial? wand? advanced (or any) options? adblock? rss? this list goes on endlessly, just look at the comments in the dekstopteam blog. its nothing like opera was before. they shouldn't have released it in its current state. i just hope a lot of the features find their way back into the final release.

agreed.. its just not a product right now.. I could have done this..

Well missing features can be expected at this stage.

Adblock does exist though as I have it installed :)

No reason to use Chropera at all. If you really wanted that stupid WebKit engine, Chrome would suffice. Or, if you're so paronoid about El Goog, Yandex browser (a lesser evil?).

I had hoped that Opera would at least improve those horrible fonts, but alas.

I'll stick to using IE10 and Opera (12.15)/ FF on Gentoo, will probably have to mask '>=opera-15'.

I could have made it... Waiting for a proper beta/final build before I judge to heavily though :D

It's just a beginning. I'm sure it will get better in time as things are added in. Glad they separated out mail. It's pretty damn fast.

they shouldn't have released it in its current state.

Are you aware of what an alpha release is? Because what you are saying is that they should not have released an alpha that is incomplete and missing features, when that is exactly what an alpha/tech preview is.

People need to stop treating this a finished product because it is *not*.

People need to stop whinning lol.

When the news was released that they will adopt chromium, you should have expected this.

nonetheless, i wonder how long it will take for them to get all the features back.

- Panels were cool. (I doub it it will be back since theres no API)

- The old keyboard/mouse shortcuts/handling

- Detaching/re-attaching tabs

- Old Bookmarks manager

- specific site preferences

some features that will not be back will most likely be userjs, site blocker etc...

I've tried it.

It's a skinned version of Chrome.

The user interface is totally rewritten, so it is anything but a skin. Why are you claiming that as soon as someone releases a simple browser, it's Chrome? Is Chrome suddenly a synonym for "simple browser" now?

Of course it's simple and basic. It's the first version after a major rewrite.

No reason to use Chropera at all. If you really wanted that stupid WebKit engine, Chrome would suffice. Or, if you're so paronoid about El Goog, Yandex browser (a lesser evil?).

So why Chrome or Yandex but not Opera? What if you want Off-Road, Speed Dial with folders or Stash? Any particular reason why you're raging?

Tried Opera Next and immediately dumped it once I realized they're once again going with their own custom interface rather than using OS X default. Too bad.

It's faster than the current Opera. +1 For that!

Unfortunately, the main features are missing: Thumbnail tabs, panels (and its contents), speed dial customization, etc....

It's holding me from using it.

Tried Opera Next and immediately dumped it once I realized they're once again going with their own custom interface rather than using OS X default. Too bad.

The UI is supposed to be native. How is it different from "OS X default"?

• 2 weeks later...

I won't be using it until they re-implement at least bookmarks, private tabs, tab stacking and the custom event listeners for extensions. May even wait until they sort out other things like selecting text thats part of a link or double clicking the to right of tabs opens a new one instead of just un-maximising the window.

It's Opera, always has been a horrible browser, even if it's just a reskinned version of Chrome

It's Opera, always has been a horrible browser, even if it's just a reskinned version of Chrome

Indeed... They took Chrome and they managed to make it even worse, lol...

• 3 weeks later...

How do you manually update this thing? It does not have Chrome's autoupdate (checked the Task Scheduler, etc.), nothing. No option on the settings as well or maybe I'm just missing it.

How do you manually update this thing? It does not have Chrome's autoupdate (checked the Task Scheduler, etc.), nothing. No option on the settings as well or maybe I'm just missing it.

It automatically updates itself, no user intervention needed. I haven't been to able to find any options regarding updating like the ability to turn off auto-update, but it happens automatically though.

I like it. It's a hell of a lot better than any other version of Opera :woot:

So basically, you like using half baked, dumbed down, uncustomisable junk that is totally unsuitable for desktops.