McDonald's CEO: I Lost Weight by Being More Active

NEW YORK (AP) -- They might start calling it the McDiet.

McDonald Corp.'s CEO Don Thompson revealed at an analyst conference this week that he shed about 20 pounds in the past year by getting his "butt up" and "working out again." But he said he hasn't changed his habit of eating at McDonald's "every, single day."

Thompson, who has been on the job for less than a year, was responding to a question about how the world's biggest hamburger chain is adapting amid growing concerns about obesity.

Thompson said that he lost the weight by getting active again. He noted that Europeans walk a lot and that it's rare to see Europeans that are "very, very heavy."

"And so I think that balance is really important to people," he said.

Thompson did not provide any other details about his weight or diet. A representative for McDonald's did not immediately respond to a request for more details.

The remarks come as fast-food chains and packaged food companies face criticism about making products that fuel obesity rates. Coca-Cola Co., for example, recently started a campaign seeking to highlight its healthier, low-calorie drinks as well as the importance of physical activity in a balanced lifestyle.

For its part, McDonald's in recent years has boosted its marketing to highlight healthier menu options, including salads, chicken wraps and egg white breakfast sandwiches.

more

• 4 months later...

Yeah its absolutely rediculous, i remember there was a member on here saying how he tried all the diets but the best thing that worked was when the DOCTOR told him to excercise more and he lost lots of weight... i mean come on do you really need a doctor tell you that, you got be thick as hell. You can take all the diet tablets you want if you sit on your arse doing nothing its not going work. I think people these days want everything to come easy to them... oh im fat but i eat takeaways all the time and the only excercise i get is when i goto the toilet. I find annoying tbh

:( I admit I am a bit .... heavy.  Thing is though .... I hate Gyms .... something about them ins't right, I can't explain it. :(  I did lose weight once, took a 45 min walk every morning and every night for a year :D and these walks got me off the Fizzy drinks for good.  Not had a single fizzy drink in about 4 years, and now drink water, milk and juice instead.

:( I admit I am a bit .... heavy.  Thing is though .... I hate Gyms .... something about them ins't right, I can't explain it. :(  I did lose weight once, took a 45 min walk every morning and every night for a year :D and these walks got me off the Fizzy drinks for good.  Not had a single fizzy drink in about 4 years, and now drink water, milk and juice instead.

Gyms can be intimidating, and also frankly it's a real chore dragging yourself to one several times a week. Walking is a great way to keep healthy though - find some podcasts you like, or just some good music you love and go for an hours walk. 

Also have to reccommend fizzy water - gives you the sensation / belief that you're having a nice fizzy drink but it's really just water. I rarely ever drink stuff like Coke and actually prefer a fizzy water these days. Can't say the same about beer though ;) 

Yep, exercise is the key to it all. It doesn't matter how healthy you eat if you don't exercise.

That's why I'm soon changing my job - I'm tired of being seated at a computer for hours. I want something where I'm out in the sun for half the day and active.

Gyms can be intimidating, and also frankly it's a real chore dragging yourself to one several times a week. Walking is a great way to keep healthy though - find some podcasts you like, or just some good music you love and go for an hours walk. 

Also have to reccommend fizzy water - gives you the sensation / belief that you're having a nice fizzy drink but it's really just water. I rarely ever drink stuff like Coke and actually prefer a fizzy water these days. Can't say the same about beer though ;)

I can't even take a sip of anything fizzy it makes me feel sick :D

Thompson did not provide any other details about his weight or diet. A representative for McDonald's did not immediately respond to a request for more details.

Of course not. This is ###### PR.

If he was being honest he'd admit that there is no good or healthy reason to eat fast food at all. But he isn't concerned with your health, he is concerned with making McDs look good.

• Like 1

That's why I'm soon changing my job - I'm tired of being seated at a computer for hours. I want something where I'm out in the sun for half the day and active.

I envy you. I am tied to a desk for most of the day. After work I do go to the park and walk, usually somewhere between 3-5 miles. But it's not like being active all day long.

Of course not. This is bull**** PR.

If he was being honest he'd admit that there is no good or healthy reason to eat fast food at all. But he isn't concerned with your health, he is concerned with making McDs look good.

Hard to disagree with this.

I'd like to take it a step further and blame the FDA. There are far too many "additives", "sanitizers", "preservatives", "flavors", and others that amount to downright physical decline and imo, cancer, cancer, and more cancer.

The FDA is supposed to protect the public but in reality it is directly authorizing the use of low quality products, many of which aren't even real foods. This seems to get worse every year, despite more and more focus on it.

It's all a rotating system. You can't make billions off medical unless you have sick people to treat.

When it comes down to it, it's up to you to be the smart consumer and be aware of what you are putting in your body.

"Your body is your temple." If you can't find reason to agree with that age-long quote, I have to assume your not a fan of your temple.

Might be time for a redesign.

My previous job was retail so I was on my feet all day. This + the combination of the gym and eating well led me to being in some of the best shape ever. Now I am working a desk job and trying to compensate for being less active. I'm thinking of making a stand up desk or even on of those new treadmill desks