Spam honeypot

I have a little forum i have sitting in a non used part of my webspace

I first set it up as a test forum then it started collecting spam so i left it there to do so

I am now getting around 600 new registrations a day

I had 9500 yesterday and this morning around 10100

It started out just as an experiment to see how many i could collect

The thing i want to know is, is there anything worthwhile i can do with over 10k spam email addresses lol

You should try wordpress with no akismet :p.

Without risking getting a warning, I can't really suggest much :laugh:

There are extensions you can use to filter out the spam registrations, we use two at Neowin: the honeypot extension, and antispam database for IPB.

btw that';s insane! We get around 50-60 registrations a day, and before the antispam stuff it was double that.

Sorry i think i need to explain it better lol

I am using the forum setup to harvest spammers emails lol

I wondered if there was a list that people use that i could submit them all to

I am going to so a little analysis on the emails too

AH! I see.... Yes, here's a website with a database of usernames, emails and IP addresses which are reported as spam:

http://www.stopforumspam.com/

Click the Add Spam Data button at the top to add the data. Gunna be a painful journey with all those thousands to do though ;)

• Like 2

Hello,

That is very interesting. Thank you for sharing your dataset with us.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

cool

it does not take long to get 10k registrations so i think i may do it every 10k to see if it changes much

• 2 weeks later...

Well two weeks since i did this and have another 10k registrations lol

so might wel do the same again

gonna have to find some way of pruning though as i am running out of database space lol

Put ads onto the registration form and see if can make any money out of it :D

sounds like a plan lol

Make a page on the forum with all the emails listed then they can harvest them and spam one another to hell

Looking at your dataset, confirms my plan when I set up my mail server.  I run mailscanner to filter out crap, and have seen alot of .ru, .in, etc addresses.  My solution: block every domain suffix from countries I don't want, then block entire country ip ranges for the rest.

not sure i loked at google ads but they refused due to the site not being within there guidelines?? lol

I have taken the forum offline just now

these are the stats

more so just the total users/post etc as i reset the board start date so i knew when i last filtered the results lol

post-229387-0-32516900-1371805494.jpg

As I understand the basics of forum spam software like xrummer there's no real e-mail addresses. The software tool fills in all the necessary fields of the registration form and then catches a message from your mailserver to create the right answer.

So the ideas of publishing the spammer e-mails is a kind of utopia. They are almost useless.

There needs to be an email address for the registration email to go to

and if the "Tool" they use manages to catch the email then the email address again has to be valid

also if you read about Xrumer you would see that 

As per the latest update to XRumer 7 the software is able to automatically register e-mail accounts on mail.ru (Russian IP addresses only) and Gmail