It's Laughable That The Most Popular Version Of Android Is

Someone who wrote that is on crack.

I have 2 phones... 1 has ice cream sandwich... and other has jelly bean. nothing is wrong with these phones..

they are working fine and smooth so far...

I have 2nd generation iPod Touch that has iOS 3.x that is working fine.. the battery lasts 2 months now.

One reason I'm dumping android in a few months. Spent good money on a top line HTC device and it got "discontinued" within months. So if I hang around for the full length of my contract it'll be comically obsolete. Instead I'm buying out, ditching it (and my network) and moving on to pastures new.

Not most used, certainly not most popular.

You know, sometimes I feel you post just to troll :/ XP was at one time, most used even after Vista, it wasn't until 7 that XP use started declining hard. ( Not saying that it didn't during vista.)

Here is the main problem i have with this article. the word popular.

The version is has a large market share but not because users want it to. Manufacturers are notorious for not following one of Googles requirements to support devices with newer versions of android for the required amount of time. they just make newer devices and ignore the old ones. the problem with this is exactly what has happened you get a large market share of older devices with older version of android on it because people are locked into a 2 year contract without the ability to upgrade economically.

Popular, no, 4.1 and higher is VERY popular. it just does not as high of a market share.

That's the problem with all these third parties... having almost every day a new (flagship) Android phone and not caring about updating previous models...

Not most used, certainly not most popular.

It's been the most used for way more than 3 years though.

It took a while before Windows 7 was able to dethrone it. If i recall well it happened last year actually.

One reason I'm dumping android in a few months. Spent good money on a top line HTC device and it got "discontinued" within months. So if I hang around for the full length of my contract it'll be comically obsolete. Instead I'm buying out, ditching it (and my network) and moving on to pastures new.

if anything you should dump HTC, it isn't Androids (Googles) fault HTC dumped that phone

That's the problem with all these third parties... having almost every day a new (flagship) Android phone and not caring about updating previous models...

A lot of the problem in the US is the carriers.

The problem is the manufacturers take too long to update it with their custom interfaces and then most have to pass through the service providers too unless you're running an unlocked phone. Manufacturers also decide not to support their older phones too since they want you to get the newest phones they have even though most older phones should be able to run it if they don't have a memory limit issue for the update.

Quite a lot of old phones had their upgrade paths stopped at Android 2.3 but Android 4.1 onwards is a massive improvement. It's the same situation as with Windows XP, eventually it will start dying as people buy new phones.

The problem is the manufacturers take too long to update it with their custom interfaces and then most have to pass through the service providers too unless you're running an unlocked phone. Manufacturers also decide not to support their older phones too since they want you to get the newest phones they have even though most older phones should be able to run it if they don't have a memory limit issue for the update.

For whatever else the iPhone did right or wrong, not allowing iOS to be tied to a provider was indisputably the right call.

• Like 2

if anything you should dump HTC, it isn't Androids (Googles) fault HTC dumped that phone

They're all at it. Biggest disadvantage of android unfortunately

For whatever else the iPhone did right or wrong, not allowing iOS to be tied to a provider was indisputably the right call.

I agree. Everyone should do that.

You'll get that no matter what, with contract devices.

On this, there can be no dispute.

They're all at it. Biggest disadvantage of android unfortunately

Hardly, take a gander over at xda-developers, the biggest advantage of Android is it's open source, if your carrier/vendor won't release an updated version XDA Devs will. You can get 4.2.2 on most if not all modern Android phones that have been released in the past few years and they are bloat free and often have improved performance such as newer drivers.