RUMOR: Microsoft Under Clocking Xbox One By 100-200mhz

If microsoft was too afraid to talk specs at that joke they called a reveal, what makes you think they will at e3?

In what way was the reveal a joke? Spec list, console kinect and controller, xbox live preview etc...

What did you expect? >.<

• Like 2

Well to me just because the cpu and gpu are similar does not really say a whole lot. How much some SHOULD theoretically be more powerful just never shows that much in the real world. I mean im sure both cpus are customized to meet the different needs even though they are based off the same chip. Different motherboards and what not as well. So i would think a lot is going to depends on how all the hardware and software ties together and whose development kits are easier to use. I mean its kinda like how me and my friend recently upgraded our pcs and pretty much used the same cpu and same nvidia gpu though the brand was different and we used different motherboards and same amount and kind of memory but different brands and we put different operating systems on them. Crysis runs 20 frames higher on my pc for some reason even though really the gpu on his is a 680 like mine it had more memory on it and should have been faster but its not.

You know, the whole cloud thing was never about realtime processing of scenes. They made that pretty clear from the start, I don't get why some are still fixated on that bit when MS has said it won't be used for that in SP. The benefits on the MP side are limitless though, and why not take advantage of that for any type of game that has most of it's bits online anyways?

Still, that doesn't mean you can't use the cloud to load things in the background for the next scene/level in a game for SP as well. stream processing is basically doing that in games now really, the only way you know it's going on is that your disc drive starts to spin up when you're in the middle of some level, unless it's installed to hdd. This would be no different, before you're quick to knock it why not wait till the 26th when they'll talk about it at BUILD for sure and show working demos.

• Like 2

Same 1.6GHz AMD Jaguar 8 Core CPU, same AMD Southern Islands 7xxx series GPU. 12CU/768 shaders vs 18CU/1152 shaders, go look up 7750 vs 7850, that's the kind of performance gap they will have.

You're making the assumption that these consoles will be bottlenecked right out of the gates. You have to consider that consoles don't process the same way as PCs, so a little bit of power can go a long way. Sure maybe the PS4 looks to have the highest "potential" on paper, but it likely won't matter a bit unless games start to push the limitations of the hardware.

I could have quad SLI GTX Titans in my PC, but all it would do is heat up the room, increase my electric bill, and give me no performance gains. Who's to say that the PS4 isn't simply over-powered and will be wasteful? The 360 doesn't exactly have brutal specs by any means, but it outputs pretty impressive performance. The X1 is a huge step up from that.

• Like 2

Interesting rumor. But regardless of what some people keep saying how underpowered the Xbox one is compared to the ps4 (based off only rumors), e3 is right around the corner so rumors like this I take with a truck load of salt. I'm sure we will be able to compare and contrast the screeners of fhe multi platforms titles at e3.

What's also interesting to me about this rumor is that Microsoft is having heating issues with such a bigasss heatsink and fan. If everything was at default clock speeds then proportionately that should've been enough to keep everything cool. So to me it's either they had overclocked or their heatsink and fan isn't efficient enough

Just came to post that. Not good news. Microsoft better not be putting their head in the sand regarding all the key issues. DRM, Always on, Used games, this underclocking etc.

They are still doing 1:1 interviews so it's not as bad as it sounds...

Interesting rumor. But regardless of what some people keep saying how underpowered the Xbox one is compared to the ps4 (based off only rumors)

Hardly rumours when the stream processor count for their GPU came out of their own freaking mouths.

It's because believing that the cloud is useful for realtime rendering, the ones clear weakness vs the ps4, is a laughable idea.

EVE Online already uses cloud rendering, and has been for the past few years.

Also, not sure if anyone else has realized but a couple industry friends pointed out to me something odd about the PS4's card, and that it doesn't have DX11. Could be wrong, but confirmation of that would be interesting.

They are still doing 1:1 interviews so it's not as bad as it sounds...

That's good. I would be really worried if they didn't do any interviews.

In what way was the reveal a joke? Spec list, console kinect and controller, xbox live preview etc...

What did you expect? >.<

They didn't really give a decent spec list. What they said on stage was mostly vague and non-specific. As for why the reveal was kind of a joke, well, that should be self explanatory. Everyone went in expecting a games console, and instead they got a big tv remote box.

You know, the whole cloud thing was never about realtime processing of scenes. They made that pretty clear from the start, I don't get why some are still fixated on that bit when MS has said it won't be used for that in SP. The benefits on the MP side are limitless though, and why not take advantage of that for any type of game that has most of it's bits online anyways?

If it's not meant to help out the rendering, then people should stop trying to say that it's going to magically make up for the big difference in power between the two consoles when the big difference is in the rendering performance.

This is what I've been saying all along but apparently to some people I'm a fanboy and an idiot who knows nothing because Microsoft will have modified the GPU to plug the massive performance gap.

I doubt very much that we'll see any differences that pronounced. The X360 and PS3 had significantly different specs yet the end result was games with marginal differences in image quality and the occasional framerate drop on a particular platform. And I don't know where people get the idea that the PS4 will run games at 60fps, as most games?even first party titles like the new Killzone?will run at 30fps. Don't get me wrong, it looks like the PS4 may be more powerful (we don't know the impact of the Move Engines or ESRAM) and that might translate to better framerates / image quality but that remains to be seen in the real world. There are numerous other factors to consider. For instance, if the X1 outsells the PS4 then developers will assign more resources to that platform and that can negate any difference in specs. You also have to consider the development tools and support offered by manufacturers.

This discussion also assumes that a) this rumour is accurate, and b) Sony isn't facing the same issues.

• Like 1

You're wasting your time lol.

I doubt very much that we'll see any differences that pronounced. The X360 and PS3 had significantly different specs yet the end result was games with marginal differences in image quality and the occasional framerate drop on a particular platform.

Clearly.

Also, not sure if anyone else has realized but a couple industry friends pointed out to me something odd about the PS4's card, and that it doesn't have DX11. Could be wrong, but confirmation of that would be interesting.

Sony uses an OpenGL like LibGCM and PSGL. Makes sense that it wouldn't use Direct X.

Clearly.

Sony uses an OpenGL like LibGCM and PSGL. Makes sense that it wouldn't use Direct X.

In the defense of us Xbox "fanboys, PS3 was supposed to be twice as powerful as Xbox 360 (which was labeled as Xbox 1.5 by Sony IIRC) so we still have some hope. :rofl:

In the defense of us Xbox "fanboys, PS3 was supposed to be twice as powerful as Xbox 360 (which was labeled as Xbox 1.5 by Sony IIRC) so we still have some hope. :rofl:

I can understand your reservations but the architectures between PS3 and 360 weren't even remotely the same. 360 CPU had three multithread cores, PS3 had a single core single threaded cpu but 7 SPEs (vector units, one reserved for the OS), 360 had unified memory, PS3 had split memory with performance drop for GPU to dip into system memory, 360 had a GPU with unified (pixel/vertex) shaders with a cache of EDRAM, the PS3 GPU had fixed shaders.

They are much more closely matched this time round, nearly identical, which is why it's easier to do a baseline comparison.

The only new thing they gave at the briefing was the CU count. There are still many missing pieces. I also find it funny that people are willing to trust the CU count but not the "power of the cloud" thing (both coming from the same team).

The cloud will only help with things such as baked lighting, pre-rendering, etc. Things such as dynamic lighting, real-time AI, shaders, etc, things that are directly affected by the lower clock speed is what's the big issue here. There's no point in scenery that looks like the settings are on high, but actors and shaders that look like they're on mid/low settings. It'll look really weird.

it does, but you sort of need Windows to do DirectX.

On the argument that if the Xbox One is overheating then the PS4 with similar specs should be overheating too: Sony has a gigantic amount of experience when it comes to engineering systems that can be cooled efficiently.

For example, the Vaio Z series. The 2009-2010 models had a full-voltage i5, dedicated nVidia graphics fitted in an ultrabook-sized thin and light 13" laptop (with a DVD drive). Talk about engineering efficiency. I actually have one of these and even with a 40% overclock on the GPU it still runs perfectly fine. Last year they managed to put a full-voltage Sandy Bridge quadcore in this 13" laptop (which is extremely thin and light):

Sony-VAIO-Z-Series-Laptop-Side.jpg

So you could say that Sony has the edge on the hardware side. Microsoft still is mainly a software and services company.

• Like 2

So, another day another X1 rumor. God E3 can't come soon enough so we can put most of these to rest finally.

Same here. Waiting on e3 to see what games and exclusives to look forward to. I know I'll definitely will be getting the xO even just for the fact that I can through away one of my remotes (I have a tv remote, a cable box remote and a controller/remote for my xbox360)

My girl is also looking forward to it her asss was all excited when Microsoft was announcing at the reveal. Lol she practically screamed when Microsoft called up the channels by voice and switch to different apps. All in all it seems like it will fit in my life pretty easy and well.

I don't want to turn this into another y vs z post but its a simple extrapolation from the specs that Microsoft gave out at the architectural briefing.

You go right on ahead man, you're winning with Sony they'll definitely pay you some of tht cash for all your hard work in promoting their wares. Lol.

I don't know what the specs are and how they will affect the games for the system so all in all we will see how it all turns out. Because right now it's all guessing and nothing else. So you go right on ahead, Sony will pay you.

CU count is quantifiable, the cloud is nebulous. If you know the number of stream processors you can extrapolate the number of CUs and since we know both are using AMD GCN architecture you can do a very real baseline comparison.

The 300,000 server number is silly, I'd wager they are virtual servers on a smaller number of actual hardware.

There is an article with source in toms hardware that says XBO with Cloud can be 3 to 4 times more powerful than just XBO.

No, those are actual hardware. Source: MJF.

There is an article with source in toms hardware that says XBO with Cloud can be 3 to 4 times more powerful than just XBO.

No, those are actual hardware. Source: MJF.

I keep seeing people make these claims but I've yet to see an actual use case set out that isn't implemented as such "because we can".

Hardly rumours when the stream processor count for their GPU came out of their own freaking mouths.

Was I talking about stream processors or I was talking about the rumors of heating issues? Reading comprehension?

I know I'll definitely will be getting the xO even just for the fact that I can through away one of my remotes.

You go right on ahead man, you're winning with Sony they'll definitely pay you some of tht cash for all your hard work in promoting their wares. Lol.

I don't know what the specs are and how they will affect the games for the system so all in all we will see how it all turns out. Because right now it's all guessing and nothing else. So you go right on ahead, Sony will pay you.

Simply stunning lol. A guy who will gladly buy a $400 system just because it can replace a remote berating someone saying they've been paid off. You couldn't make it up.

it does, but you sort of need Windows to do DirectX.

I'm a bit confused. It has DX11, or something equivalent? That or the PS3 is running windows? Regardless, if they don't have DX11 that is a pretty big standard they'll be missing. Although I don't think that will necessarily be a big hit depending on what they are using.

Simply stunning lol. A guy who will gladly buy a $400 system just because it can replace a remote berating someone saying they've been paid off. You couldn't make it up.

Lol damnn right. It's not just because of the remote, it's also multitasking, instant switching, I wouldn't mind playing my game on one side of the screen while my girl watches tv on the other side (here's to hoping it can do it that way) I have a really big tv so this would be good for me (even if not for everyone else). There's other things too but this is not the time. I will enjoy whatever console I buy and I hope you enjoy whichever you buy.

Also I wasn't saying he's actually getting paid. I was just simply saying with all the "promoting" he's doing Sony should pay him because he's doing a fine job.