Official - Xbox One Needs To Connect To The Net Every 24Hrs For Gaming

Not everybody has a mobile that is capable of tethering. Most people don't even know wtf that is.

Bottom line is, there are countless scenarios where this has the very real potential to deny people access to the games they have paid for.

Not everybody has a mobile that is capable of tethering. Most people don't even know wtf that is.

Bottom line is, there are countless scenarios where this has the very real potential to deny people access to the games they have paid for.

Bottom line is, no there isn't. You're blowing a minimal number of potential situations way out of proportion.

Remember, Microsoft has a 50 million XBL member user base that they've been collecting data from for years about online connectivity. I'm sure they're aware of exactly how often everyone connect to the internet and when they've played games while not connected to the internet. This isn't a big deal for the vast majority of people

Dude, if someone doesn't have internet at all or internet that can be on online once a day then the Xbox isn't for that person.

Bottom line is, no there isn't. You're blowing a minimal number of potential situations way out of proportion.

Remember, Microsoft has a 50 million XBL member user base that they've been collecting data from for years about online connectivity. I'm sure they're aware of exactly how often everyone connect to the internet and when they've played games while not connected to the internet. This isn't a big deal for the vast majority of people

This! ^

I only posted this an hour ago, and there have already been a bunch of genuine scenarios given. And thats just from the minuscule amount of people that have seen/replied to this thread.

50 million XBL users? How many consoles have they sold?

You are right, xbox one is not going to be for some people, a lot of people.

And it's not just a matter of not having an internet connection to begin with, but also when something goes ###### up with it your normally super fantastic connection, it shouldn't lock down all your games with it.

That's the same bull**** response that got that dude fired.

Why should I need an internet connection to play single player games? One of the first things I would turn to when my connection goes down, is my console.

It's just DRM, and it's ********.

The digital rights management is to stave off pirates and to make sure that every copy and every console are legitimate. I personally don't have an issue with this, anyone who wants to have an issue that's really their problem.

I welcome a safer online experience and environment.

I wonder what's going to happen when more and more publishers start requiring check ins for their digital bits

I only posted this an hour ago, and there have already been a bunch of genuine scenarios given. And thats just from the minuscule amount of people that have seen/replied to this thread.

50 million XBL users? How many consoles have they sold?

You are right, xbox one is not going to be for some people, a lot of people.

And it's not just a matter of not having an internet connection to begin with, but also when something goes ###### up with it your normally super fantastic connection, it shouldn't lock down all your games with it.

Yes, 50 million active XBL accounts, out of about 75 million consoles sold. It's pretty impressive. And you can be rest assured they've been collecting plenty of data that has helped shape the next generation.

Edit - I take that back, they reported 40 million active accounts back in early 2012 by a quick search. Still enough people to get solid data off of.

The digital rights management is to stave off pirates and to make sure that every copy and every console are legitimate. I personally don't have an issue with this, anyone who wants to have an issue that's really their problem.

I welcome a safer online experience and environment.

I wonder what's going to happen when more and more publishers start requiring check ins for their digital bits

And the day it gets cracked wide open, I will probably cough up a lung from laughing so hard. While honest users continue to get the ****ty end of the stick.

Same old story, rinse and repeat.

Yes, 50 million active XBL accounts, out of about 75 million consoles sold. It's pretty impressive. And you can be rest assured they've been collecting plenty of data that has helped shape the next generation.

Edit - I take that back, they reported 40 million active accounts back in early 2012 by a quick search. Still enough people to get solid data off of.

So, if we are being stupid, we could say that's 35 million lost sales?

And the day it gets cracked wide open, I will probably cough up a lung from laughing so hard. While honest users continue to get the ****ty end of the stick.

Same old story, rinse and repeat.

So, if we are being stupid, we could say that's 35 million lost sales?

Not really, just 35 million that didn't sign up for XBL because it was never required. You are being stupid if you're assuming it means 35 million lost sales.

I agree, it is a stupid conclusion, and I don't have the ability to work out the statistics in any meaningful way.

So I am only left with my opinion... This is going to ****ing suck for a **** load of people, from day one, and at some point, will bite a **** load more people in the arse.

Microsoft also gave us an internet speed target: "For an optimal experience, we recommend a broadband connection of 1.5Mbps."

http://kotaku.com/ca...erien-511780190

Well that's going to suck for a lot of people. And yes. It will. Not everyone lives in a major city... those small town folk like me are going to struggle getting online with the Xbox One could spell disaster.

The news was almost all bad.

Here's a recap:

• The console must connect to the internet once every 24 hours in order for you to play games. For many people, from military personnel to students, that's an inconvenience, maybe even an impossibility. Never mind what happens to everybody's console if Microsoft's servers ever come down.
  • The Xbox One will allow the sale of used games, at "participating retailers", but only if the publisher allows it. Publishers being the very people opposed most fiercely to used video game sales.
  • There are restrictions on how you can "give" and "loan" your games away. What's more, lending won't be available at launch, with Microsoft still "exploring the possibilities with our partners".

Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

http://kotaku.com/xb...-ever-511754913

Shoot+yourself+in+the+foot.jpg

I agree, it is a stupid conclusion, and I don't have the ability to work out the statistics in any meaningful way.

So I am only left with my opinion... This is going to ****ing suck for a **** load of people, from day one, and at some point, will bite a **** load more people in the arse.

At some point? Last I heard, the internet is expanding to more and more market, not contracting, so the logical direction is that it will matter even less than it does already to even fewer people as time goes on.

I'm not arguing your opinion - I wouldn't expect everyone to be all happy about this, but its not the end of the world and really will be just fine for most people.

<snip>

You do know the last four bullets there all apply to the PS4 as well - they're all publisher controlled.

Wasting taxpayers money and taking a break from murdering people.

My on topic comment is: Hawkman says no. Rumors are baseless drivel so this can't be true :)

Off Topic: Jakem, I'm a peace lover like you. but I doubt the bad elements in US forces (yes, there always are. armies are made up of regular people with flaws and psychosis which often comes out with power over others) have murdered, stoned, raped more than the Taliban in Afghanistan. And that's not counting terror victims, their own native people particularly women. So please, let's put our peace loving in perspective. Our presence has without a doubt saved and freed many many more than it has harmed. No doubt about that at all.

Because I live in the real world where, you know... **** happens?

There have been times when it has been down for a week or more. This has been in different locations, and different ISP's

Honestly, i'm sure Microsoft has data on how often this happens and will have leniency in the system to allow for such..

When I say "at some point in the future", I'm referring to the inevitable moment when somebodies internet goes out for more than 24 hours.

If I could be arsed, I'd go checking a bunch of ISP forums to get some idea of how much that happens.

My point is, having access to my collection of games denied, which could easily be in the ?1000's, for even 1 day, is not acceptable.

Resist while you can. When/If Sony jumps on board, it's over for the consumer.

I can't understand why some people are defending this move, even if it doesn't directly affect you, can you not see it's in no way

for the benefit of the consumer, and only restricts you from using content you purchased.

I'd like to see some reasons as to why this is good for us....

EDIT: And for the people saying MS has data on this, I sure hope it's not the same data collectors that said nobody wants a start button.

I can't understand why some people are defending this move, even if it doesn't directly affect you, can you not see it's in no way

for the benefit of the consumer, and only restricts you from using content you purchased.

I'd like to see some reasons as to why this is good for us....

EDIT: And for the people saying MS has data on this, I sure hope it's not the same data collectors that said nobody wants a start button.

If my connection is working fine and the Xbox One is checking in every so often how is it restricting me from my purchases ?

If my connection is working fine and the Xbox One is checking in every so often how is it restricting me from my purchases ?

Let's theorise for a minute and say your connection isn't working properly or there is a routing issue preventing people in the UK from authenticating with the xbox servers

Now, tell us how is this NOT restricting you and how it's in your best interest that you not be allowed to play it offline.

• Like 2

So what happens if MS authentication servers are down? Am I now no longer able to play games, something I'd like to know considering there's been instances where Live was down for extended periods (ie. longer than 24hrs).

• Like 2

Let's theorise for a minute and say your connection isn't working properly or there is a routing issue preventing people in the UK from authenticating with the xbox servers

Now, tell us how is this NOT restricting you and how it's in your best interest that you not be allowed to play it offline.

Nope sorry you never mentioned lack of internet access in your post.

If my connection is working fine then there's absolutely no way it's restricting me from my purchases. You can go down "what-if" scenarios all day.

The only time I can remember Live being down for longer than 24 hours is a couple of years ago.

I mean.. do people want Microsoft to design it so people are able to throw a few AA batteries into the console so an electricity cut doesn't restrict them from their purchases?

• Like 1

Microsoft made it a requirement that your Xbox needs a broadband connection in order to connect to Xbox Live. People moaned about it. People got used to it as a majority of people were able to get broadband over time. This is the same thing. I'm not saying it's a great thing, but in actuality, 5 years from now, I do believe the world will be more connected. The people that this will affect will be lower than it is now. I do agree that if you have the disc, you should be able to play the game, but this is how things are going.

Nope sorry you never mentioned lack of internet access in your post.

If my connection is working fine then there's absolutely no way it's restricting me from my purchases. You can go down "what-if" scenarios all day.

The only time I can remember Live being down for longer than 24 hours is a couple of years ago.

I never said LIVE was down, I said your ability to connect to it was affected.

And if you only want to go exactly what was said in the one post your replied to, then tell me how it's a benefit for the consumer.

I know one thing that wont happen 20-30 years from now, there wont be any excited geeks that found an old Xbox one and a box of games in grandmas attic, like they do with old Nintendos

or other gaming machines

So what happens if MS authentication servers are down? Am I now no longer able to play games, something I'd like to know considering there's been instances where Live was down for extended periods (ie. longer than 24hrs).

If it's exactly as stated, even with the disc in the drive, then you're SOL, you basically own and can play nothing at all.

I never said LIVE was down, I said your ability to connect to it was affected.

And if you only want to go exactly what was said in the one post your replied to, then tell me how it's a benefit for the consumer.

I know one thing that wont happen 20-30 years from now, there wont be any excited geeks that found an old Xbox one and a box of games in grandmas attic, like they do with old Nintendos

or other gaming machines

They're a business and part of that is making a secure platform that publishers will want to be on.

• Like 1