Understanding manual settings

Hey,

So i have a Nikon D3100 i have been shooting with it for some time now on Auto and think it is time to branch out to Manual mode and learn about the various different options.

Are there any good sites online that explain the various settings, functions etc?

Rich

The digital field guides are a great reference for learning camera settings, and really handy to keep in your camera bag

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D3100-Digital-Field-Guide/dp/0470648651

http://froknowsphoto.com/ is a great site for getting off of auto on nikon cameras too, you have to pay for the video guides but they are good value.

Kudos for trying to branch out of Auto, you will find that your photography will be so much better.

As a starting point, I would learn what Aperture does and then stick on A mode. See the different effects by shooting wide open, in the middle, and almost closed. Changing the aperture in A mode allows a degree of control whilst letting the camera do the rest of the settings.

Similarly, S mode for shutter speed, practice with that, and let the camera do the rest.

Finally, manual mode where you can start pulling all this together and dialling them all in yourself.

Whilst I am happy in manual mode, I actually shoot in Aperture priority mode most of the time as I find it is only aperture I want to change most often with my type of shooting.

Let us see some results, if you have questions do feel free to ask and i'll do my best to help. It saddens me when people use DSLRs and keep it in automatic mode so I love seeing people branch out :)

The digital field guides are a great reference for learning camera settings, and really handy to keep in your camera bag

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/0470648651

http://froknowsphoto.com/ is a great site for getting off of auto on nikon cameras too, you have to pay for the video guides but they are good value.

Kudos for trying to branch out of Auto, you will find that your photography will be so much better.

As a starting point, I would learn what Aperture does and then stick on A mode. See the different effects by shooting wide open, in the middle, and almost closed. Changing the aperture in A mode allows a degree of control whilst letting the camera do the rest of the settings.

Similarly, S mode for shutter speed, practice with that, and let the camera do the rest.

Finally, manual mode where you can start pulling all this together and dialling them all in yourself.

Whilst I am happy in manual mode, I actually shoot in Aperture priority mode most of the time as I find it is only aperture I want to change most often with my type of shooting.

Let us see some results, if you have questions do feel free to ask and i'll do my best to help. It saddens me when people use DSLRs and keep it in automatic mode so I love seeing people branch out :)

Hey There,

Thanks for getting back to me, i have some of my work online you can see it here www.flickr.com/photos/podshine but i really want to get to know my camera better and the resources you have provided look really good and i will be sure to take a look at them.

I need to learn the "lingo" so that i know what people are talking about when they say F Stop, Aperture (i think this is how much light is let in) and the various modes, oh and ISO.

I would appreciate any advice you have

Cheers

Rich

Aperture is the amount of light that is let in by the lens diaphragm, ISO, is the sensitivity the sensor will have to that light let in by the lens... Those are really googleable terms if you ask me :)

http://lightism.co.uk/ is a very good read!

Hi Lilrich,

I'm learning just like you. Someone pointed me in this direction: http://www.lightandmatter.org/2011/general-photography-articles/learn-photography/the-three-basics-of-photography/

Go over the basics articles to learn what you need to know to get started. A good way of implementing it is to take photos with making a gradual change to either the shutter speed, aperture iso. Then going back and doing the same with one of the other two and then again with the final one. You'll learn how to control the light getting to the sensor and the trade offs you make by changing one setting rather than the other. Enjoy :)

I think that before getting into the technicalities it's more important to just improve your framing a little. I've had a look over your Flickr stream and noticed that quite often you cut off the wrong parts of your photos.

For example: http://www.flickr.com/photos/podshine/8870241797/ - Try to avoid cutting off feet. There is nothing of interest in the sky here, but you're lacking part of your subjects. Try to focus on them. A common mistake you make from time to time is to put the 'main' subject (for example peoples faces) in the centre of your photos. The rule of thirds is usually key, but there are more (like the golden ratio/spiral). Google them, it's a really good place to start.

After a while you start doing that automatically, like I did in the image below. If you use the crop tool in Lightroom you get some visual guidance like this:

tLcwPhL.jpg

And that is my tip 2. Shoot in RAW (or RAW+JPG) and use Lightroom (even just the trial to try it out). With Lightroom you can correct a huge amount of lighting issues, and it'll help you understand what was wrong with them in the first place. RAW gives you a lot of room to correct photos that are too dark or too light.

A demo of how much data you can recover from RAW shots - before (straight out of camera):

D5DBgWW.jpg

After:

GSZ5ySJ.jpg

Neither is a very good photo but you get the idea.

Don't bother with finetuning settings on your camera yet if you don't understand the effects completely, start out with composition and a tiny bit of simple editing. But mostly composition. And after that, as it has been mentioned before, try the A mode (aperture priority). Leaving the shutter speed of your camera on automatic is usually fine, you can fine tune that in Lightroom or something similar anyway, but the aperture controls how blurry the background gets in relation to your subject (and some other things ofc).

Good luck!

Ambross, Thanks for the tips i will be sure to take a little more time when shooting the shots to get the subject setup properly, i don't think i am doing *that* bad maybe just need to fine tune my skills.

After all i am just starting out and any advice is great.

Thanks everyone :)

Rich

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By eRajesh
      Huawei again caught passing DSLR photos as being shot from its own smartphones
      by Rajesh Pandey

Back in 2018, Huawei was caught passing off some photos taken from its mid-range Nova 3 when they were actually shot using a DSLR. The company had been caught using similar unethical tactics before as well with its P30 series. Fast forward to a couple of years later and Huawei has again been caught doing the same thing.

Huawei recently ran a photography contest on China's Weibo platform and shared some of the photos submitted to it with the "taken with Huawei smartphones" tagline in a video. However, it was soon discovered that some of the photos select from the competition were taken with DLSRs. The issue was first discovered by Jamie-hua after he thought the photos shared in the video from Huawei looked familiar and eventually he found one of the photos on 500x which was taken from a $3,000 Nikon D850 DSLR and not a Huawei smartphone.

The image in question/ Credit: Su Tie After being called out, Huawei issued an apology saying it was an "oversight" by the editor who "wrongly marked" the photos. The company has since then already updated the original video to remove mention of the photos being taken from a Huawei smartphone. The company claimed that the competition rules did not prohibit users from posting photos taken from other non-Huawei devices.

Huawei smartphones are known to have impressive cameras, so it's unclear why this phenomenon of passing DSLR photos as ones being shot from its phones keep occurring.

Source: SCMP

• By Usman Khan Lodhi
      All online classes on Nikon School are free this month
      by Usman Khan Lodhi

Image credit: Edgar Varjapetyanvia (Wallpapers Wide) In an attempt to keep its customers "inspired, engaged and growing," Nikon USA has made its entire curriculum of online photography classes free of cost this month (via The Verge). Until the end of April, all 10 classes, which cost between $15 and $50 each, can be streamed for free. The company wrote on its website:

The ten classes, which are taught by professional photographers and often Nikon ambassadors, range in length from 15 minutes to over an hour. Several of these classes cover Nikon-related products while others teach the basic know-how of photography. Even if you are not a Nikon camera owner, you still might learn something from these classes.

If you're interested in streaming for the courses, you should visit Nikon's official website. After signing up using your name and email address, you will be able to view the classes. There is also an option to opt-out of receiving marketing emails.

• By News Staff
      Free Download: CEO Fraud Prevention Manual
      by Steven Parker

CEO fraud has ruined the careers of many executives and loyal employees. Don't be one of them.. Claim your free manual today, before the offer expires.

What's it about?
      CEO fraud has victimized more than 22,000 organizations and is responsible for over $3 billion in losses. Despite these statistics, CEO fraud remains a blind spot for many C-level executives who quickly learn the consequences of a weak cyber-risk assessment.

In Part I, the manual provides a thorough overview of how executives (especially Finance) are compromised, how millions are siphoned off and the likelihood of recovery. Part II covers how to prevent such an attack and what to do if you become a victim.

You will learn more about:

✔ What is CEO fraud?

✔ Who is at risk?

✔ How can it be prevented?

✔ Resolution and restitution options

✔ Checklist for CEO fraud response and prevention

Find out how you can proof your organization up against this type of sophisticated fraud and create a human firewall.

How to get this free resource:
      Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive it. If you have previously made use of these free offers, you will not need to re-register. While supplies last! Please ensure you read the terms and conditions to claim this offer.

>> Download: CEO Fraud Prevention Manual <<
      Offered by KnowBe4, view their other free resources. Limited time offer.

Not for you?
      That's OK, there are other free eBooks on offer you can check out here, but be aware that these are all time-limited offers. If you are uncomfortable sharing your details with a third-party sponsor, we understand. Or via our preferred partner:

How can I disable these posts? Click here.

Disclosure: A valid email address is required to fulfill your request. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this offer. By submitting a request, your information is subject to TradePub.coms Privacy Policy.

• By Draconian Guppy
      Will only last 18 hours

Nikon D7000 16.2 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens (Black) 
      $649.95

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Megapixel-Digital-Camera-18-55mm/dp/B00OJNTBGI

Also there, holiday bundle:

Nikon D7000 with 18-55mm and 55-200mm VR Lens Holiday Bundle 
      Price: $796.95 &  
    • By Draconian Guppy
      Nikon has opened the doors to entries for the company's annual photo contest, and is offering a top prize of 1m Yen (approx. $9200/?5600/?7100) in equipment with 500,000 Yen cash for the overall top prize. Running since 1969 the competition this year will feature 7 categories including a new 'Home' theme and a 'Generation N' section for 10 entrants aged 19 and under. With themes that include work in video as well as stills, Nikon has for the first time opened the competition to digital images captured on any digital imaging device ? including smartphones, camcorders and medium or large format cameras.

Scanners are once again not classed as 'digital devices', so images captured on film will not be eligible for entry, despite that Nikon F6 and FM10 film cameras are listed as current products on the company website. 
      The panel of 17 judges will be led by Stephen Mayes, the Executive Director of the Tim Hetherington Trust and Secretary to the World Press Photo competition, who will head the photography categories. John C Jay, who was voted among the top ten most influential Art Directors of the Past 50 Years by the readers of Graphic Design USA, will head the judging panel for the video categories.

Open to professional and amateur photographers around the globe, the competition attracted 99,339 entries from 153 countries last year. You have until 15th December 2014 to enter. 

For more information visit www.nikon-photocontest.com/en