iPhone 4S getting hot and huge battery drain; solutions needed

Since a couple of weeks my iPhone 4S is getting hot for no reason and the battery drain is huge (10% in like 30 mins) just on standby.

I have not have any issues before.

I read somewhere that Facebook might be an issue here.... since their latest update.

I have not restored my iPhone to its factory settings. I am not very enthusiastic about this, because I don't know what happens with my data on it, emails, WhatsApp massages etc.

I run iOS 6.1.3. Might this be (the) problem here?

And/or will an update to 6.1.3 for iPhone 4S be announced - and rolled out - soon? I think iOS 7 will take a little longer than that (probably Sept/Oct I guess,,,)

Can it be carrier related? I'm on Vodafone Netherlands. Or SIM-card related (damaged or so)?

What can I do to stop my phone from getting hot and draining like h***?

Turn everything off (flight mode on, location services off, etc.) and close all running applications and see if it still happens.

If it does... That's not a very good sign, hot battery is one of the first signs that it's shorting out.

"Since a couple of weeks my iPhone 4S is getting hot for no reason and the battery drain is huge (10% in like 30 mins) just on standby."

Sounds like the battery needs to be replaced by what you've explained.

The only other thing i can think of that would explain that drop in battery that fast would be to have everything running. Bluetooth, Wifi, 100% screen brightness, etc

as n_K has pointed to.

My wife's 4s is doing the exact same thing!! She keeps asking me about it all the time and I say, I don't know we will have to take it to the Apple store.. Problem is the closest Apple store is 2 hours away.. Funny thing is I told her I bet it was facebook doing it, but she swears its not.

BTW, Bluetooth is always off, brightness is at 30% Wifi is only connected when she is home.

I had the exact same thing happen with my 5. I did a wipe then restored from icloud but it still didn't solve the problem. I had to pretty much start from scratch. Go back to factory and setup as a new phone for the issue to go away. The Apple store told me it's likely a corrupted app that keeps hitting your battery every few seconds and causing drain. It's kind of a crappy solution but it worked for me.

Bluetooth is off in my case, wifi is turned on always and makes connection with known networks. Brightness is about 45-50%.

Facebook might be the case, or maybe another faulty app, although I now have charged again to 100% and in 1,5 jours now a 1% drop (so that's good). But this can change drastically tomorrow.

Maybe a future update of iOS might solve this problem. I really don't know if a reset is the solution to this matter....

On the faulty app - or update to it; how can I find this out. I have not a jailbrake iPhone.

Did you remove Facebook. I read the same story and you have mentioned it twice. Remove it and see if it gets better. All a reset is going to do is erase the app as well.

It's an app, which one is hard to say. I've seen this happen with my phone many times, I'll pull it out of my pocket and it's warm and half the battery is gone, but any other day it will be running fine with no unusual battery loss. Seems like most of the time it's Facebook getting stuck and chewing up resources in the background.

It's an app, which one is hard to say. I've seen this happen with my phone many times, I'll pull it out of my pocket and it's warm and half the battery is gone, but any other day it will be running fine with no unusual battery loss. Seems like most of the time it's Facebook getting stuck and chewing up resources in the background.

Have you uninstalled and reinstalled the Facebook app (possibly multiple times)?

And did that made a difference; on short and/or long(er) term with the battery life and hotness of the Phone?

Have you uninstalled and reinstalled the Facebook app (possibly multiple times)?

And did that made a difference; on short and/or long(er) term with the battery life and hotness of the Phone?

No, I suspect uninstalling / re-installing doesn't make a difference. It's an issue with the app (when it happens), and until they update it, it will keep happening.

Mind you, I'm not singling Facebook out on this one, I've also had it happen with some camera apps and others, but it's not the first time that I've seen Facebook crush the battery life and crash when you try to reopen it.

Also, I've had an iPhone battery die before, and it never got hot, over time it would just lose the first x% of its life very quickly, i.e. one day it would take an hour to get to 90%, another day one hour would have it at 75%, then 60%, etc.

google's app now has google NOW and i notice my location services always on...disabled location for that app...google now was updated very recently

have you tried stopping all the apps that run when you double tap the home button?

also, adding turn off location services for google now - that was eating battery for me

Google Earth and Maps use Location services. Rest of Google apps is disabled.

All apps are closed down by double tapping the home button.

It looks now my battery drain is kinda average... but like I said, this can change all of a sudden later today or next week.

EDIT: I have just deleted Google Maps

• 3 weeks later...

I had a very similar issue with my iPhone 4 and there is a lengthy thread on that here: https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1056436-iphone-4-is-running-hot-and-battery-draining-faster-than-normal/

From what I recall, I basically had to start all over by wiping the iphone, installing the latest firmware, and not restore from a backup... i think... idk, i remember trying everything and eventually I think that was the only thing that worked.  I also added 1 app at a time and tried it out for a day before moving onto the next app.  It was kind of a pain and there was some weird Mexican cell tower signal just before all that started (granted, I was next to the border).  Could have been a coincidence or maybe not.  Craziness.  Never had the problem again since...