CBC picks up 'Ruby Skye P.I.

cbc-picks-up-ruby-skye-p-i--web-series.jpg

A popular Canadian children's web series has been acquired by the CBC for broadcast on the channel itself and on its children?s website.

'Ruby Skye P.I.' will begin airing on the network's Kids' CBC website this winter. Ten episodes in all have been licensed, with each episode scheduled to air in five to six minute segments on the website.

That is the first step in a bigger cross-platform picture. The CBC signed the program to a digital-first deal, one that will eventually see it broadcast on television as well.

The plan is to air a one-hour episode of the program on the CBC network after the mini episodes have aired on the website.

The series focuses on teenage detective Ruby Skye, who is played by Madison Cheeatow. She is joined by Haley Skye, her technically-inclined sister played by Marlee Maslove. Together they try to solve crimes in their neighborhood.

Two seasons of the show have been produced already and can be seen on the Ruby Skye website here. The first season consisted of 12 episodes while the second had nine.

No word yet on which of the two seasons will be broadcast or if future seasons of the show will be brought over as well.

Here is a video of the first episode of the franchise, titled "Animal Farm."

?CBC is quickly emerging as a front-runner in digital innovation,? said Kim Wilson, CBC's creative head of children?s and youth programming. ?We?re proud to be contributing to innovative new multi-platform initiatives with the incorporation of web-based Ruby Skye P.I. to Kids? CBC.?

The CBC also recently announced a separate deal to air seven-part comedy web series 'Everyone?s Famous' as a 45-minute TV special.

Will this trend continue?

http://www.tvrage.com/news/7141/cbc-picks-up-ruby-skye-p-i--web-series