PS4 hard drive is user replaceable

Yeah try it in a PS3 then tell me. Stop acting like you know stuff when you are clearly talking out of your back side. He is not arguing that it won't account to better performance but merely that it won't be visible for end users, as with the PS3 (Which I incidentally have experimented with).anyone that thinks popping an SSD in a console is going to magically make everything faster- think again. HDD speeds are EASILY fast enough to handle OS and game start ups with the amount of direct RAM bandwidth and storage they are getting and this is coming from an SSD "fanboy".

Do you know why that is? The PS3 does not support SATA 3. It has a SATA150 controller. The SATA 3.0 is backwards compatible though. So by by installing a SATA III 6.0Gb controller, you will be limited to SATA 1; 1.5Gb speeds. This means that the SDD will be limited in it's performances.

The PS4, however, DOES support SATA3. So the speed will not be bottlenecked as like with the PS3. So you should see faster loading time etc. for games.

Do you know why that is? The PS3 does not support SATA 3. It has a SATA150 controller. The SATA 3.0 is backwards compatible though. So by by installing a SATA III 6.0Gb controller, you will be limited to SATA 1; 1.5Gb speeds. This means that the SDD will be limited in it's performances.

The PS4, however, DOES support SATA3. So the speed will not be bottlenecked as like with the PS3. So you should see faster loading time etc. for games.

What this guy said. Put it more in depth than myself, and arguing against this is silly.

Two things:

1: You're on crack.

2: You're on crack.

If I put a SSD in my PC, I increase two things, windows startup. never shut down, and loading of primarily games (programs already load fast enough) and this would primarily affect MMO's though they stream load anyway. At this moment in time, while SSD's are neat, they're not worth it for the few times I see decreased loading times for me. I would rather have actual increased performance in my rendering, be it game or in 3DSMAX, that's GPU and CPU.

They just keep going and going too...

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet

PS3 was also "supposedly" region free. doesn't stop the developers from not making it region free.

while an SSD could improve loading times on the PS4 somewhat, chances are the designers of the PS4 has balanced the system out well enough that you won't notice much of a difference and they used tiered caching to reduce loading times anyway.

after all, didn't you guys already brag about how the designers and developers said the PS4 was perfectly balanced, with NO bottlenecks ? ;)

after all, didn't you guys already brag about how the designers and developers said the PS4 was perfectly balanced, with NO bottlenecks ? ;)

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the 500GB SSD costing as much as the whole system otherwise!

and this would primarily affect MMO's though they stream load anyway.

For you perhaps. For me...

I have three SSDs already. I only have an HD in here at all to not keep any junk data (backups, downloads, etc) on them.

Chances are due to the design of the console adding a SSD will be a waste of money and you won't get any actual increased performance of it, well SSD don't actually increase performance anyway, but chance are you won't get the perceived increased performance of faster loading times either.

Wut?

Putting a SSD on a PS3 has been proven to be a waste of money since it's SATA-II and it doesn't make a noticeable difference in load times. GT5 loaded a few seconds faster, MGS4 was 2 or 3 seconds faster.

Now, if the PS4 supports SATA-III, I'll wait until TomsHardware or something does some tests. I already own a 1TB PS3 and would certainly a 1TB SSD PS4 :D

HAHAHAHAHA you have got to be joking right? EVEN if it was a massive bottleneck that rendered it useless, SSDs have other things going for them.

Like what, price and capacity?

Now that I think about it, does the PS4 even support TRIM, natively or otherwise, in order to allow for extended use of an SSD? :unsure:

Well that escalated quickly.

As for the HDD situation, it's great news that it's replaceable. I'd rather a replaceable HDD than an external one like the X1 will get, but that's just my preference.

I also think that since the PS4 runs with USB3, SSDs should make a significantly larger difference in performance this time around. Though, i'll wait for professional reviews on such before I buy a large SSD for it.

Hopefully SSDs do speed things up a bit, though don't see myself forking out the extra cash to throw one in there. Would rather pop in a 7200rpm 1TB (or larger if possible) for the increased storage space without costing more than the console itself.

Now that I think about it, does the PS4 even support TRIM, natively or otherwise, in order to allow for extended use of an SSD? :unsure:

Most SSDs come with some form of Garbage Collection (which to my understanding is built into the controller).

PS3 was also "supposedly" region free. doesn't stop the developers from not making it region free.

lol...outside of Persona 4 Arena, tell me which disc based games weren't region free. Feel free to take as long as you like on that.

Great news indeed! Looking forward to some hardware sites slapping an SSD in the PS4 and running some tests!