PS4 or Xbox One?

Xbox One or Playstation 4?  

321 members have voted

1. 1. Based on what we know, which console are you looking to purchase?

There was an edit of some sort, for sure. I've voted none (PC FTW!), but after checking a few ago my vote was under both. Had to delete my vote and select none again.

Same.

Well I officially cancelled my XBox One Day 1 preorder.

XboxOne-CANCELLATION.jpg

I may very well pick one up at some point, just not at launch anymore. I just feel like if I am going to talk to talk, need to walk the walk as well.

Also when I really look at things, I am just getting old and either simply do not have enough time to play games like I once did and/or I am also not as enthusiastic about playing games as I once was. As such I am also trying to be responsible for once as well. No need to own every single new gadget that comes out just because I can. And again, it is about supporting two very different approaches and philosophies as to what a gaming console can and should be. My own person belief is much more in alignment with Sony's vision and not MS's.

• Like 2

What about the Wii U guys?!

I honestly LOVE internet discussions. Everyone bitched at how 'featureless' the original PS4 preview conference note was, bashing 'share' button and social media improvements and lack of game titles/previews. But once MS dropped the ball, showing their innovative DRM solutions and boasting TV as a console feature, everyone praised Sony for not making these kind of improvements and will adopt their system.

Did the poll just get edited? Some people who voted none (and commented as such) are now showing as both, myself included.

It looks normal to me. It shows you under "None". Also, we can't change who votes what when editing. The only options are to add/remove questions and/or change the poll title and question/choices.

Yup it did. I went from "None" to "Both". I don't know, what happened (deleted mine and changed to None again).

I may very well pick one up at some point, just not at launch anymore. I just feel like if I am going to talk to talk, need to walk the walk as well.

Also when I really look at things, I am just getting old and either simply do not have enough time to play games like I once did and/or I am also not as enthusiastic about playing games as I once was. As such I am also trying to be responsible for once as well. No need to own every single new gadget that comes out just because I can. And again, it is about supporting two very different approaches and philosophies as to what a gaming console can and should be. My own person belief is much more in alignment with Sony's vision and not MS's.

My thoughts are similar, DL. I may get an X1 in the future, but only if there is a truly compelling, gaming reason to do so. And it would have to be big for me to overlook the restriciton policies that I wholeheartedly disagree with.

I like what Sony has shown, but I think I may wait a bit to get a PS4. I don't game as much as I used to, so I don't feel like I need to have it day-1.

What Francis thinks. :rofl:

Love when at the end he says "I saw what you did with the Playstation + Fees, I'm on to your ****." Classic.

Changed my vote to X1 from both because based on what I know right now I don't need a PS4 yet. They haven't shown any games I want.

Will still get one later though.

Agreed, US and UK are not the only countries in the world, but I'm pretty sure i didn't hint at that either. I cant remember the source but i have read that MS are working with plenty of providers in many countries.

another angle to this as well, is now that gold subs can be 'shared' to a degree, meaning if i have gold then the rest of my family can use the online multiplyer and other stuff for free, this will save a load of people a load of money.

It's hard not to like what the PS4 offers but I'll probably end up with both.

It wasn't hard for me. Price doesn't matter since the Xbox One is still cheaper than the pre-order price. I didn't like the PS4 design. It's lower/thiner, but weird. Knack and Driveclub was the only exclusive I really liked, but on Xbox One I get Halo, Ryse, Forza, Titanfall etc. The user-upgradeable HDD is the only thing I really liked about the PS4, but hopefully MS will provide a USB3 HDD chassis to attach on the left side where you could connect your own HDD. The console is already huge so the extra inch isn't a problem ^^

I'm actually a bit dissapointed by both consoles, but will probably end up with both after a year or so.

I have to say, I was thinking about picking up both, but in no way am I getting a Xbox One until they lift all DRM/authentication. I don't pirate games I can purchase, and I don't agree with it at all, but putting DRM on your console is asking for people to screw you over. In my way it's losing another customer (speck of gain and all that) but other will crack the system and pirate it.

I've got my PS4 pre-ordered and looking forward to getting it later in the year. I know a few guys at my office have pre-ordered theirs as well who have never pre-ordered a system before. Sony really did everything right last night. Kudos to them.

Asking someone if they want a PS4 or Xbox One is like asking do you want to live in a walled in town or a town without a wall. I'd prefer to live in a walled in less town!

Asking someone if they want a PS4 or Xbox One is like asking do you want to live in a walled in town or a town without a wall. I'd prefer to live in a walled in less town!

Or if they prefer Titanfall or Killzone. Or if they prefer having Kinect or not.

Seriously, there's more than one distinguishing feature of both consoles.

Well, Sony has very cleverly capitalized on the discontent caused by Microsoft's policies. Their entire announcement was "we have less restrictions than Xbox One" and it looks like people are buying it. This is all very new information but when the dust settles, it's not clear that PS4 will be so much less restrictive than Xbox One. As far as we know, publishers will have free reign to implement all the DRM schemes they want, and if the console in itself fails to provide some level of security then what we might see is a variety of more or less intrusive DRM methods on PS4, versus a single obvious one on Xbox One.

The lack of mandatory camera is perhaps an advantage in terms of buyer freedom, but a disadvantage for game developers who cannot assume the device will be present and have to design games around its absence first and foremost. We should see much more consistent and innovative use of camera on Xbox One.

What's definitely clear so far is that the PS4 is somewhat less expensive and also somewhat faster, but at this level of graphical power, it's easy to slightly dial back on settings and make extremely similar looking titles so I don't think the performance difference will be a big deal. People are making of big deal of the fact that Xbox One has ESRAM but Xbox 360 was similar and considered easy to program for by developers. PS4 could be slightly easier even but it's not a huge difference. Both devices will be the most developer-friendly gaming hardware ever made.

I'm not a "fan" or "hater" of any console, actually I've never owned any and will probably stick to PC as I've always did. However, I think the current bias towards PS4 is largely based on marketing perceptions rather than reality. Here's hoping for some more nuanced analysis in the coming weeks to rectify the situation.

• Like 2

Is it likely for XBOX to back track at all??

The internet is going crazy, the console war is over, it's not fanboys, Microsoft really have had their arse handed to them..

Has anyone come up with a definitive list of games (and exclusivity of them) that have been announced?

That will ultimately decide what console(s) that I go with.

Jack tretton just announced that DRM is up to publishers, which means EA can easlily tie the game to your origin account and make sure u cant lend it to anybody. So its not completely good news.

You can not say they wont do it, because then it doesnt make any sense, you have the Xbox which protects developers from used games, and you have PS that doesnt

So you will save money on one console, and lose it on another, which is completely ridiculous

The lack of mandatory camera is perhaps an advantage in terms of buyer freedom, but a disadvantage for game developers who cannot assume the device will be present and have to design games around its absence first and foremost. We should see much more consistent and innovative use of camera on Xbox One.

We already saw Mass Effect 3 and Skyrim use Kinect for voice commands so I expect that to continue from EA and Bethesda at least.

And I think MS has an OS advantage in being able to add win8 apps/games and being able to deliver a NUI experience so you don't have to wade through submenus to get what you need (at least I expect that based on what I saw of it.)

Still don't know if Sony will be able to do multiple apps onscreen at once, but I expect them to be a more traditional console experience. We shall see though.

If it isn't too late, Microsoft needs to remove this DRM and Online thing.. Facebook and Twitter are going nuts about how the xbox one is already a failure..

If it isn't too late, Microsoft needs to remove this DRM and Online thing.. Facebook and Twitter are going nuts about how the xbox one is already a failure..

Xbox has 48 million subscribers on live, how much would be needed to take a dent? I am asking, cause i dont think they will lose THAT MUCH. I dont mind the xbox one much, that family plan game sharing things sounds great

Jack tretton just announced that DRM is up to publishers, which means EA can easlily tie the game to your origin account and make sure u cant lend it to anybody. So its not completely good news.

You can not say they wont do it, because then it doesnt make any sense, you have the Xbox which protects developers from used games, and you have PS that doesnt

So you will save money on one console, and lose it on another, which is completely ridiculous

Protecting developers from used games... You mean, that thing that's been going on for ages was a problem? :huh:

Well, that's news to me.