PS4 or Xbox One?

Xbox One or Playstation 4?  

321 members have voted

1. 1. Based on what we know, which console are you looking to purchase?

Here is an interesting attempt to compare the two on features across the board, awarding points to each one as it goes:

http://www.amazon.co...Mx1NM1QZS27GAW6

Quoting from this comparison:

WINNER IS>>>

Xbox One = 8

PS4 = 15

It just seems PS4 is the better console (so far) this generation. This is all based of what we know... But what actually happens, and what sells the most?

I guess that'll be left up to the consumers :-)

Xbox has 48 million subscribers on live, how much would be needed to take a dent? I am asking, cause i dont think they will lose THAT MUCH. I dont mind the xbox one much, that family plan game sharing things sounds great

It sounds like a lot of people are going to to way of PS4 so far.. Xbox One is getting a lot of flack.. I stil plan on getting both at launch.. if the xbox ****es me off.. I'll ebay it

Xbox One won't be a failure due to DRM, it's been blown way over the top. However the negative perception along with the price and little if any benefit it seems to have gaming wise will probably put the PS4 ahead in terms of sales. If the Xbox One was the same price or less and they dealt with the DRM announcement better the Xbox would probably have the lead in the UK or be equal.

Protecting developers from used games... You mean, that thing that's been going on for ages was a problem? :huh:

Well, that's news to me.

Sorry im not understanding if thats sarcasm or not lol, but what i meant it isnt a problem,im just saying people are quick to say ps4 has nothing when any publisher can put a heavy restriction.

Heck if i made a game, i can say, you can lend this out to anybody, skys the limit witht the ps4

The only thing MS has to do is actually give us more details about how things work, like sharing your library with up to 10 friends, that's pretty much how you lend games to people now, no need to pass around a disc. Also how used games will actually work, because they will work it'll just be a bit of a pain for those who liked to ebay their stuff unless (and this could happen), some middle man shows up that has access to the Xbox game authentication system like game retailers will, and for a small $2-3 fee they can deauthorize your copy so you can easily sell it off on your own after that, heck, new business opportunity right there if possible.

The thing they can change now, and I think they should, is the 24hr check. I think there should be a check but ONLY if you're playing right off the HDD without the disc for the game in the drive. If you don't have a internet connection the system should ask for you to put in your game disc. Simple, and I don't see why it's not possible to do.

The last thing will just be game rentals, but I think those can be digital for those who have a good connection, and for people who use gamefly and redbox etc, I think they can just use the same system that used game shops will use to deauthorize your game when you return it to them and get it ready for the next person to rent it. All of the above is possible and we have a long time till November, if the internet rage holds up, which it probably will, then they'll react.

As for the price, I think, and someone else said this as well, that MS will have deals in place with cable providers to offer the system to you as the setop box itself, maybe with a custom little box on the side that handles the initial cable wire to hdmi stuff. If so they can put it on sale for lower easy, even $299 since they're going to get you on your cable subscription anyways.

Here is an interesting attempt to compare the two on features across the board, awarding points to each one as it goes:

http://www.amazon.co...Mx1NM1QZS27GAW6

Quoting from this comparison:

Sony announced 19 PS4 exclusives? ("in the making" doesn't count)

The only thing MS has to do is actually give us more details about how things work, like sharing your library with up to 10 friends, that's pretty much how you lend games to people now, no need to pass around a disc. Also how used games will actually work, because they will work it'll just be a bit of a pain for those who liked to ebay their stuff unless (and this could happen), some middle man shows up that has access to the Xbox game authentication system like game retailers will, and for a small $2-3 fee they can deauthorize your copy so you can easily sell it off on your own after that, heck, new business opportunity right there if possible.

The thing they can change now, and I think they should, is the 24hr check. I think there should be a check but ONLY if you're playing right off the HDD without the disc for the game in the drive. If you don't have a internet connection the system should ask for you to put in your game disc. Simple, and I don't see why it's not possible to do.

The last thing will just be game rentals, but I think those can be digital for those who have a good connection, and for people who use gamefly and redbox etc, I think they can just use the same system that used game shops will use to deauthorize your game when you return it to them and get it ready for the next person to rent it. All of the above is possible and we have a long time till November, if the internet rage holds up, which it probably will, then they'll react.

As for the price, I think, and someone else said this as well, that MS will have deals in place with cable providers to offer the system to you as the setop box itself, maybe with a custom little box on the side that handles the initial cable wire to hdmi stuff. If so they can put it on sale for lower easy, even $299 since they're going to get you on your cable subscription anyways.

Bingo. They just have to replace the complicated licensing system with a simple disc check and I am on board (well not really but with Halo 5 possibly...also means no 24hr check required).

The PS4 doesn't have eSRAM so he's already wrong and I just started reading. I'll pass on the rest.

Sony announced 19 PS4 exclusives? ("in the making" doesn't count)

Maybe you could put together an accurate list? I don't know what is accurate. I just read that Amazon post.

Sorry im not understanding if thats sarcasm or not lol, but what i meant it isnt a problem,im just saying people are quick to say ps4 has nothing when any publisher can put a heavy restriction.

Heck if i made a game, i can say, you can lend this out to anybody, skys the limit witht the ps4

It's all good, I'm just getting pestered with comments where people are acting as if they need to buy games that implement awful DRM. Apparently, choosing not to waste your money on a locked down game is a difficult procedure for some... I don't even.

I think if they remove or alter the check in, and show how you can lend games to friends EVEN DIGITALLY, then xbox one will be ahead of PS4 only because no disc and you have 10 people to share it with, unlike PS4 where u have to give the disc to a friend, and with a third party DRM there is no guarantee itll work, where as the xbox has this already there, so no need for EA to play some more with DRM since xbox is doing it EA can be more restrictive on PS

Maybe you could put together an accurate list? I don't know what is accurate. I just read that Amazon post.

There was a thread on NeoGAF for it, but it is down currently due to load. I will post when I can.

• Like 1

I've owned every Xbox since the original PS. I have a PS3, but no games. I just use it a BD player and borrow the occasional game. I have already preordered a PS4 and I've lost all confidence in MS as a viable console platform. I hope they prove me wrong, but I am in no hurry to support this endeavor.

?It's a publisher decision."

"Now, this could mean two things. One, that publishers are obviously free to step up their existing online pass strategies to block more ? or possibly all ? game content from those who buy a pre-owned game without a code. The second option is that Sony HAS incorporated tech into the PS4 that allows publishers to distinguish between new and pre-owned games. It?s then up to them if they choose to utilize it."

Both of those situations are not good for PS4 owners, and if there is that architecture in PS4 then Sony lied, there is something in the PS4 that can block used games, it just needs to be activated, which very possibly means EA or other publishers have the means to do so.

A lot of it is too subjective. For me, I'd rather have DRM than need discs (which are just annoying. I'm embarrassed to admit I had to replace an x360 game three times because of the disc getting scratched and some of my older game discs got pretty worn. Didn't usually happen, but it did happen.) Cloud services we don't know enough about to say what they'll be used for exactly, but more connected experiences seem like a sure bet. Even Fable 2 had some unusual though very light single player/coop interconnectivity iirc.

And I want gaming machines for games, so all that extra crap might be nice to have for some but I already have a PC for it. I might use it as my main machine, but I'm not really desperate to rent movies and stuff on it.

So for me the standout bits are Kinect, no discs, Titanfall, MS first party games and cloud services/connected gaming so I'd rather have the X1. Other people might be more attached to Sony exclusives or single player gaming or obviously hate the DRM change or the price.

A lot of it is too subjective.

So for me the standout bits are Kinect, no discs, Titanfall, MS first party games and cloud services/connected gaming so I'd rather have the X1. Other people might be more attached to Sony exclusives or single player gaming or obviously hate the DRM change or the price.

Actually that is probably what it all boils down to, people's preferences. There's probably no way to compare the two that would convince everyone that one is better than the other.

Actually that is probably what it all boils down to, people's preferences. There's probably no way to compare the two that would convince everyone that one is better than the other.

This. It's all a futile argument. What I like/prefer isn't what anyone else does.

Xbox. I prefer the controller and the online experience. And the exclusives look way better IMO. The games stuttering or crashing during Sony's event was tough to watch.

I do think the 24 hour check is a bit much, and I agree with previous posters in that the offline check should be to insert the disk. I think the only being able to trade games to friends once is fair to developers, and It still allows you to trade the game for money into Gamestop. I never let friends borrow games, so that isn't an issue to me. If they want to try it they come over and we drink beer and play it. If they like it they go buy it.

Im getting Xboned.

Based strictly on this, XBone it will be for me. Only game that I'd miss would be Infamous (totally NOT sold on the new main character).

If having all of my games available at an instant, and being able to share them with up to 10 family members, while moving between multiple consoles if I visit family, means I have to validate them daily. I really don't care about that restriction for those benefits. I imagine they'll be sticking with it as is, otherwise one person need onto to buy a game, install it and pass it around, it'd be a disaster

I am going PS4 this time around.

Speaking as a happy X360 gamer this generation (and I loathed the PS3 for many reasons), Sony have just got it bang on this time. They seem to have eaten some humble pie over the last few years and really done it right. It seems that gone is the arrogant 'We will tell you what you want, and you will work 2 jobs to pay for it' attitude and Microsoft have now taken that place.

Firstly, I don't want Kinect, and I don't want to pay for it if i'm not going to use it. I don't want to plug my satellite receiver into my games console. I want a games console, not a htpc.

It seems to have paid off with Sony gambling on spending more of their silicon budget on a higher spec gpu and go for GDDR5 since they were able to, at the very last minute, double the RAM capacity. The specs are on paper head and shoulders ahead of the xbox one.

Lastly, and there are many more reasons but all this DRM is hideous. I know we have had this system for years already with Steam, but console games are more costly and one of the benefits was that they held their resale value for a time so you could trade in for new games. Xbox now seems to be restricting this so i'll have no part of it.

I do hope that sony have put enough effort into the design though. I mean that machine looks way too small to achieve proper ventilation. They are using many of the same parts as the Xbox One and I suspect Microsoft have invested heavily in thermal design this time around and the machine is that height for a reason. We will have to wait and see though.

On the subject of design, I am quite digging the PS4s look. The xbox one - not so much.

I also hope now Sony are charging for multiplayer that they invest some of this money into the PSN network. One of my biggest gripes with the PS3 PSN was that it was clearly designed and built to be free. Over an hour to download a system update is a joke.

I pre-ordered both as soon as they were available on ShopTo (since it was free to do so, so may as well get in line) but I am now cancelling my Xbox preorder. Simply not interested.

They could have got it so right , but microsoft couldn't have gotten it much more wrong this time.

• Like 2