iOS7 Beta 1 on iPhone 4S - Issues with push notifications, facetime, imessa

Hi all,

Just thought I'd give a heads up and let people know my experiences.

The OS is fantastic. A genuine quantum leap over iOS6 with regards to functionality - and although I was previously dubious regarding the visual style, it's really starting to grow on me. That all said, this being a beta we can all expect there to be problems and bugs along the way and obviously anyone who does install this does so at their own risk. You may want to think twice if facetime, imessage, and push notifications from third party apps are a lifeline for you...

Specifically I've found that I'm encountering a message when loading up apps which use push notifications:

Connect to iTunes to Use Push Notifications

There are also issues with facetime and imessage. Facetime asks to check network connection when you try to sign in and turn it on.

I've attempted to resolve this by wiping clean and restoring from a local backup. I didn't think it would work but figured it was worth a try. If anyone else has suggestions for resolving this I'll certainly give it a go.

Just thought I'd warn anyone who was considering upgrading.

Cheers,

Alex

Yeah I've heard from most people in my surroundings that iOS 7 is still far from being usable on a day-to-day basis. Luckily they were all smart enough to load it onto secondary devices.

Yeah I've heard from most people in my surroundings that iOS 7 is still far from being usable on a day-to-day basis. Luckily they were all smart enough to load it onto secondary devices.

I like living dangerously :)

I would say for the most part it's certainly usable, but various features that people *could* rely on day-to-day are certainly... iffy.

Crystal clear fonts in mail, keyboard appears to be a little nicer, however the main interface looks green and grey and 'Fisher Price'... This is my iPhone, not 'My First Smartphone'.

Crystal clear fonts in mail, keyboard appears to be a little nicer, however the main interface looks green and grey and 'Fisher Price'... This is my iPhone, not 'My First Smartphone'.

Get a random Android phone and load a command line-only Linux distribution onto it so you can feel "professional".

I've had no problems with Facebook and Mail push notifications using iOS 7 on my iPhone 5, but I haven't yet received any notifications from other apps so I'm not sure whether they all work. Facebook is the main app I receive notifications from. I haven't used iMessages yet today, so I'm not sure whether that works for me, and I hardly use FaceTime.

Overall, it's been completely usable for me so far. My main use cases (listening to Spotify for most of my work day, tracking my sport with Endomondo, checking Facebook, and using reminders) have worked just as well as they do on iOS 6. The most important feature for me will be the alarms, so hopefully they work and wake me up tomorrow :p

I've had no problems with Facebook and Mail push notifications using iOS 7 on my iPhone 5, but I haven't yet received any notifications from other apps so I'm not sure whether they all work. Facebook is the main app I receive notifications from. I haven't used iMessages yet today, so I'm not sure whether that works for me, and I hardly use FaceTime.

Overall, it's been completely usable for me so far. My main use cases (listening to Spotify for most of my work day, tracking my sport with Endomondo, checking Facebook, and using reminders) have worked just as well as they do on iOS 6. The most important feature for me will be the alarms, so hopefully they work and wake me up tomorrow :p

Maybe the difference is that Axel is using 4S and you have 5. So your experience is smoother on the newer device. Just a maybe..... :huh:

It has some quirks, but it is far from unusable. A few apps won't work (Google+) and some things you may have to hit a few times, but nothing major that closing and reopening an app doesn't fix.

Maybe the difference is that Axel is using 4S and you have 5. So your experience is smoother on the newer device. Just a maybe..... :huh:

I wondered that, which is why I thought it might be useful for me to post my iPhone 5 experience :) Hopefully Axel's build will start performing better for him.

Anyone has any idea how to enable Push Notification for WhatsApp? It told me to go Phone Settings > Notifications > WhatsApp but I cannot find that anymore!

i installed it today then went back to 6.1.3. sadly, i also lost my backup in the process had to reconfigure the settings. i also experienced the imessage issue where i wasn't getting the texts on my phone but i was on my mac and the iPad.

the visuals were...interesting...they'll take their time to grow on me. i did feel, however, that the increased used of 'minimalism' might turn off some of the new users or non-techy users (like my mom)

stuff like - buttons with texts instead of images, and no indication that it's a clickable button as opposed to a text unless you press on it.

i also found it to run pretty sluggish on my 4S...i would click on something and it would take a while to load.

the multi-tasking kept crashing my phone so i gave up on it after a while, as did skype (which i use regularly)

that was my hour-long experience with the build. i'll wait till the final now lol

stuff like - buttons with texts instead of images, and no indication that it's a clickable button as opposed to a text unless you press on it.

That's a very good point. I've been wondering how will that affect user experience. So, you are saying that currently it's not easy to distinguish between the static text and clickable text?

That's a very good point. I've been wondering how will that affect user experience. So, you are saying that currently it's not easy to distinguish between the static text and clickable text?

correct, at least not at first, it'll take a bit of a learning curve to get used to the text colours and the context to understand that certain text is a button, and another isn't.

I've had it installed on my 4S since Tuesday, and i've really got use it to. I get the odd app crash and the apple logo appears and the home screen reloads, but nothing major. Also some of the animations are glitchy and stutter, but that is to be expected for a first beta. Battery life is also poor on my 4S.

iMessage was bugging me as it wouldn't work when I first upgraded. I played around with switching it off/on and found that if i switch it off, restart my phone, then activate it, it would work. Now it's working perfectly. Notifications seem to work too - twitter and Facebook are both pushing notifications and they are appearing as the would in iOS 6.

The UI took some time to get used to - but now I couldn't imagine going back to iOS 6. Apple have admitted that this is a work in progress, and the UI will continually change before the GM.

A few apps are not working at all - but nothing major. I can live without Bejewelled Blitz until the GM. :D

Roll on Beta 2.

I've had it installed on my 4S since Tuesday, and i've really got use it to. I get the odd app crash and the apple logo appears and the home screen reloads, but nothing major. Also some of the animations are glitchy and stutter, but that is to be expected for a first beta. Battery life is also poor on my 4S.

iMessage was bugging me as it wouldn't work when I first upgraded. I played around with switching it off/on and found that if i switch it off, restart my phone, then activate it, it would work. Now it's working perfectly. Notifications seem to work too - twitter and Facebook are both pushing notifications and they are appearing as the would in iOS 6.

The UI took some time to get used to - but now I couldn't imagine going back to iOS 6. Apple have admitted that this is a work in progress, and the UI will continually change before the GM.

A few apps are not working at all - but nothing major. I can live without Bejewelled Blitz until the GM. :D

Roll on Beta 2.

you didn't find the movement and performance to be sluggish compared to 6.1.3? my phone was taking its time to load each app (compared to 6.1.3 where it would just load)

i couldn't make imessage work so i gave up on it and went back to 6.1.3

you didn't find the movement and performance to be sluggish compared to 6.1.3? my phone was taking its time to load each app (compared to 6.1.3 where it would just load)

i couldn't make imessage work so i gave up on it and went back to 6.1.3

I wouldn't say it's as quick as iOS 6.1.3, but this is the first beta. It's certainly usable. I couldn't go back to iOS 6 now.

I'd like to add that I found the solution to the issues I was experiencing previously.

I downloaded the redsn0w jailbreak tool and used it to deactivate my iPhone, the iphone then automagically reactivated itself and voila, imessage and facetime were working flawlessly.

I'd like to add that if your UDID is not associated with a developer account your phone will NOT reactivate!

Hope this helps some :)