Killer Instinct reboot is free-to-play, only one character is free

Well it takes the award for the most restricted "F2P" game in my book (N) Almost as bad as Crimson Alliance's definition of the word free.

Doesn't really matter if you can play through the game for free. Being restricted to one character isn't enticing. And I've already offered suggestions how to open it up without letting you access every bit of content.

How is someone new to the game supposed to know what the other characters feel like or how they play differently if they haven't got an option to try them first. Just blindly buy the full package and hope for the best I suppose?

Well it takes the award for the most restricted "F2P" game in my book (N) Almost as bad as Crimson Alliance's definition of the word free.

Doesn't really matter if you can play through the game for free. Being restricted to one character isn't enticing. And I've already offered suggestions how to open it up without letting you access every bit of content.

How is someone new to the game supposed to know what the other characters feel like or how they play differently if they haven't got an option to try them first. Just blindly buy the full package and hope for the best I suppose?

They'll be playing against the other characters (assumption), and if they want to play one, buy it for $1. This game is tailor made for this type of F2P model IMO. And in general, I don't like F2P microtransaction games, not at all.

And I have to tell you, if you can truly use the XBone without the Kintect (and I mean I wanna leave it unboxed), then I'll pay $499 to have a Killer Instinct arcade machine in my living room fi that's what Chief Thunder is like, the rest has got to be good. Eventually I'll probably buy all characters but based on how long it takes to master one, that will take a long time.

They'll be playing against the other characters (assumption)

Something tells me you don't play fighting games very much. Playing against a character is very different to actually experiencing them for yourself.

And yes that is a big assumption to make. What is the player base going to be split into? 90% Jago?

Something tells me you don't play fighting games very much. Playing against a character is very different to actually experiencing them for yourself.

And yes that is a big assumption to make. What is the player base going to be split into? 90% Jago?

I don't care for them. Killer Instinct is in a league by itself. I understand that it's different. But, mastering a character against all characters and their styles and abilities is more than a demo. That's kind of what the game is about, mastering a characters abilities and developing a style that can win against all others. Only then do you really need to move on to another character unless you're just button mashing. Killer Instinct is too Awesome, too Historical, and too hardcore for that.

And yes, given Microsoft's track record lately, it is a big assumption to make. If you can only play against same character, or even just a few, it will indeed be nothing more than a demo. But I'll definitely be buying it at some point.

PS3 has Wipeout HD and Heavenly Sword for "me." Killer Instinct, along with Gears of War I, are what the Xbox platform has for me that PS3/4 simply has not equivalent or match for. That's just how it is.

FFS.  This isn't free-to-play.  It's a time unlimited demo with one playable character.

I'm amazed that people bitch about something that you get for free.

I don't care for them. Killer Instinct is in a league by itself. I understand that it's different. But, mastering a character against all characters and their styles and abilities is more than a demo. That's kind of what the game is about, mastering a characters abilities and developing a style that can win against all others. Only then do you really need to move on to another character unless you're just button mashing. Killer Instinct is too Awesome, too Historical, and too hardcore for that.

And yes, given Microsoft's track record lately, it is a big assumption to make. If you can only play against same character, or even just a few, it will indeed be nothing more than a demo. But I'll definitely be buying it at some point.

PS3 has Wipeout HD and Heavenly Sword for "me." Killer Instinct, along with Gears of War I, are what the Xbox platform has for me that PS3/4 simply has not equivalent or match for. That's just how it is.

Thought so :P You're views are really jarring and "against the grain" to someone who does. Mastering a fighter is one thing, but it shouldn't be the case that you can win against any opponent with them. They need flaws or else it's unbalanced. That is the definition of a good fighter.

Not interested in making this PS4 vs X1. If this was SF, MK or any other fighter I'd be saying the same thing.

Thought so :p You're views are really jarring and "against the grain" to someone who does. Mastering a fighter is one thing, but it shouldn't be the case that you can win against any opponent with them. They need flaws or else it's unbalanced. That is the definition of a good fighter.

That is why it takes so long to master all characters with one fighter. A person that cherry picks a fighter whose strengths give them an easy win against each particular opponent does not need to be playing Killer Instinct. There's Street Fighter, Tekken, and may others for that.

And those people should be prepared to pay for each character day one. That's what they deserve.

The point is, one character, as long as it can play all of the various default opponents, is more than enough for a F2P game of this nature.

Killer Instinct to have full game purchasable in addition to free-to-play model

http://www.oxmonline.com/killer-instinct-have-full-game-purchasable-addition-free-play-model

This states a seasonal pass. To me that suggests you will unlock all characters for a specific time limit (maybe 3-4 months?) not really a full game more like a time-limited full game.

Unless you mean purchasing each character individually which would be permanent but based on other games with similar payment methods it usually costs more than buying a standard game with everything unlocked already.

That is why it takes so long to master all characters with one fighter. A person that cherry picks a fighter whose strengths give them an easy win against each particular opponent does not need to be playing Killer Instinct. There's Street Fighter, Tekken, and may others for that.

And those people should be prepared to pay for each character day one. That's what they deserve.

The point is, one character, as long as it can play all of the various default opponents, is more than enough for a F2P game of this nature.

It's not about cherry picking for easy wins, but that discussion is really for another topic.

Yoshi Ono has already said he is looking at the possibility of SF5 being F2P. So what do you suggest for it? Everyone gets Ryu and you pay for the rest? Swap KI for any other fighter and it doesn't sound appealing. It might be enough to win some matches, but it isn't fun nor has lasting appeal. You need to give some incentive and tasters of them to upgrade to the full package/unlock characters.

It's a shame because the scene has been crying out for a sequel for so long and I think this move is going to hurt it. Microsoft will probably put it down to "lack of interest" and they'll go back to ignoring it :( Hopefully a lot of people just skip the "F2P" package and just buy the full game.

It's not about cherry picking for easy wins, but that discussion is really for another topic.

Yoshi Ono has already said he is looking at the possibility of SF5 being F2P. So what do you suggest for it? Everyone gets Ryu and you pay for the rest? Swap KI for any other fighter and it doesn't sound appealing. It might be enough to win some matches, but it isn't fun nor has lasting appeal. You need to give some incentive and tasters of them to upgrade to the full package/unlock characters.

It's a shame because the scene has been crying out for a sequel for so long and I think this move is going to hurt it. Microsoft will probably put it down to "lack of interest" and they'll go back to ignoring it :( Hopefully a lot of people just skip the "F2P" package and just buy the full game.

Well, yes. That's what the F2P model basically is. There's "the game is free." Which is clearly what you want, and it would be nice for KI wouldn't it? :D

F2P is F2P and you can expect for a full experience to have to pay for something. At least this way if you only play say 5 of 30 characters you only have to pay for 5 and be done. Or buy the whole thing.

Nothing deceptive, as long as they don't say it's free. Then get you without warning. If they say it's F2P and you get 1 character free, you have to pay for the rest, I don't see the problem.

It's like Pinball FX. The engine and one table is free. You have to pay for the rest of the tables. If you only want the Star Wars tables, that's all you have to pay. I like the model myself.

Now, the model of Fable, you can only go so far into the story without buying chapters, that to me sucks. I would never do that. You call that a demo.

Well, yes. That's what the F2P model basically is. There's "the game is free." Which is clearly what you want, and it would be nice for KI wouldn't it? :D

F2P is F2P and you can expect for a full experience to have to pay for something. At least this way if you only play say 5 of 30 characters you only have to pay for 5 and be done. Or buy the whole thing.

Nothing deceptive, as long as they don't say it's free. Then get you without warning. If they say it's F2P and you get 1 character free, you have to pay for the rest, I don't see the problem.

It's like Pinball FX. The engine and one table is free. You have to pay for the rest of the tables. If you only want the Star Wars tables, that's all you have to pay. I like the model myself.

Now, the model of Fable, you can only go so far into the story without buying chapters, that to me sucks. I would never do that. You call that a demo.

I'm not asking for the full game to be free or have unlimited access to the roster etc. It's not a question of wanting more, it's the limitations that they've chosen. Hell, I'd be happy just to see 1 character free to play say every few months or something that rotates. I can't think of any other game that uses the F2P title so loosely as this KI release, and I've played a hell of a lot of F2P games.

I'm not saying it's deceptive either. Calling Crimson Alliance free was deceptive. Fable 2 was never branded F2P either. They cut the game into episodes and used part 1 as a hook. Just the same way as TWD did last year.

Ok I think we really need to change the thread titles, or someone should start an official Killer Instinct thread.  KI is NOT F2P.  The developers themselves cleared this up months ago.  For some reasons, some gaming news outlets decided to call it this after they announced how the demo would work.

There will be a full game with a  full roster, just like any other game.  The only difference is that they want to offer individual characters for purchase if you don't want to buy the full title. 

Its a demo, not F2P.

They have not said if they will allow you try out characters if you choose to purchase them individually, so we have no idea how that will work.

All they have done is announce that a DEMO will be released with Jago. 

FFS.  This isn't free-to-play.  It's a time unlimited demo with one playable character.

I'm amazed that people bitch about something that you get for free.

Thank you....its quite frustrating when lazy gaming journalism results in the spread of false info.

I'm not asking for the full game to be free or have unlimited access to the roster etc. It's not a question of wanting more, it's the limitations that they've chosen. Hell, I'd be happy just to see 1 character free to play say every few months or something that rotates. I can't think of any other game that uses the F2P title so loosely as this KI release, and I've played a hell of a lot of F2P games.

I'm not saying it's deceptive either. Calling Crimson Alliance free was deceptive. Fable 2 was never branded F2P either. They cut the game into episodes and used part 1 as a hook. Just the same way as TWD did last year.

KI is not F2P, just ask the devs.

Ok I think we really need to change the thread titles, or someone should start an official Killer Instinct thread.  KI is NOT F2P.  The developers themselves cleared this up months ago.  For some reasons, some gaming news outlets decided to call it this after they announced how the demo would work.

There will be a full game with a  full roster, just like any other game.  The only difference is that they want to offer individual characters for purchase if you don't want to buy the full title. 

Its a demo, not F2P.

They have not said if they will allow you try out characters if you choose to purchase them individually, so we have no idea how that will work.

All they have done is announce that a DEMO will be released with Jago. 

Thank you....its quite frustrating when lazy gaming journalism results in the spread of false info.

Thanks for clearing that up, I missed that news. I was always under the impression it was being pitched as F2P.

Glad it's not cause boy hell them (Y)

KI is not F2P, just ask the devs.

That kind of ends that. Leaving us with, Chief Thunder looks AWESOME! There is only one KI, and it's back!

I don't like this. I prefer the original way it looked to this. They don't realize they could have made a killing had they just released parts 1 and 2 on the 360 and made this game KI3 instead of a reboot. Sigh...wont be buying this anytime soon.

I don't like this. I prefer the original way it looked to this. They don't realize they could have made a killing had they just released parts 1 and 2 on the 360 and made this game KI3 instead of a reboot. Sigh...wont be buying this anytime soon.

Um it is KI3, not a remake.

I agree that HD releases of KI 1 & 2 would be neat to see and maybe we will, but I also realize that there isn't much money to make on those games.  Outside of a core fan base, no many would buy the older games.  Most fighting game fans would run far away from them lol, KI never had a great rep with 'serious' fighting game fans. 

KI3 has a chance to change that thanks to a good team and their outreach to the community.

I had some issues with Jago's look when I first saw him, but Saberwulf looked great to me.  His stage also looks awesome. 

Jago is probably going to suck, though.

I still think this is cool. As I mentioned earlier, don't most serious fighter use a small roster of characters anyway? At least, that is what I always thought.

jago is just gonna be like a "Ryu" of the game...he's not going to "suck". It's just a balanced character for gamers to use to try out the game. The amount of fighters will grow over time but we'll have to wait to see how many they will be shipping with. What I'm hoping with this game is because it's digital only that they can just grow it over time and when they make big changes, they just update the same title as DLC (like Super Street Fighter going to Ultra Street Fighter), but just not adding more characters and balance fixing. I mean changes that warrant a change where it seems it's a new game, but that's me. Capcom's way is not the way I want balance changes. So if it's a sequel to a game, just let me buy the DLC to the new version instead of buying a new version, if that makes sense.

I hope they rotate the free characters every month, so it doesn't become a Jago on Jago match every single time. That way everybody will need to learn every character and be able to pick one they like to buy.

• Like 1

I just can't wait to see more gameplay of Chief Thunder and the next character reveal. Hopefully they do another reveal and not a tease, and then have them playable at PAX (if not it will probably be TGS). I need to know how much the MadCatz TE2 stick is going to cost so I can order it and have it the same day as my Xbox One as Killer Instinct is the main game I'm buying it.