iOS 7 Beta - Insights and Experiences

iOS 7 Beta   

315 members have voted

1. 1. Have you installed the Beta yet?

• Yes
    • No - Will never install it
    • No - Plan to install it soon enough
  2. 2. If you like it, what is that you like the most?

• Icons
    • Control Center
    • Typography
    • Lockscreen
    • Notification Center
    • Interface Elements - Buttons
    • It's Fresh, New and Cool!
    • Difficult to say right now
  3. 3. If you don't like it, what is itching you the most?

Here are the changes we?ve isolated within iOS 7 beta 5:

• The install screen is now the same color as your iPhone bezel, with the Apple and progress bar of contrasting color.
  • There?s a new and improved power down screen with improved animations.
  • Animation speeds and reliability are globally improved.
  • Icons within the Settings app have been redesigned, improving consistency with home screen icons.
  • Banner notifications can now be pulled down to reveal Notification Center, unlike beta 4 which was painfully buggy.
  • Blurs and transparency effects have been tweaked.
  • Control Center can now be disabled in apps.
  • Phone app has had some button changes on the dial screen.
  • Skype is now compatible with iOS 7 beta 5. Win!

In my car I play my Spotify list via a bluetooth connection. When I receive a phone call the music stops so I can answer my phone and then it should continue. However, since iOS 7 it doesn't play anymore. Anyone have the same issue?

It seems as if the whole app shuts down. When I re-open it doesn't even know which song I was playing.

• The install screen is now the same color as your iPhone bezel, with the Apple and progress bar of contrasting color.

This isn't working on the iPad Mini yet. It must only work on iPhones as of now. Still unsure as to even why this would be needed but... 

Anyone test beta 5 on a third gen iPad? App transition animations weren't as smooth on previous betas.

I did the usual, Settings>General>Software Update>Update and Beta 5 downloaded fine, but when I press Install, it gives me a pop-up of "Software update is not available at this time. Try again later."

Anyone else having this problem?

Edit: Disregard, it finally installed.

Installed Beta 5 on my iPad 3rd Gen and it's not smooth, the GPU can't seem to keep up with the animation.

And I can crash my iPad in one easy step : in any screen of icons, using 4 fingers pinch and voil?, hard reset required.

I hate how the camera app overlays the controls over the image, so you can't really get a hold of exactly what you're taking...

I still feel that they have a lot of work left. Especially app compatibility but I guess that's up to the app devs. 

That can't be blamed on Apple.  They told Devs that they had to update their apps to be compatible with iOS 7.  Devs are probably waiting the release of iOS 7 to push updates.

That can't be blamed on Apple.  They told Devs that they had to update their apps to be compatible with iOS 7.  Devs are probably waiting the release of iOS 7 to push updates.

The whole point of the preview is for devs to get Apps ready for iOS 7. There have been API changes, so things will break.

And devs cannot submit Apps for iOS 7 yet. That'll start a week or so before the public release.

The whole point of the preview is for devs to get Apps ready for iOS 7. There have been API changes, so things will break.

And devs cannot submit Apps for iOS 7 yet. That'll start a week or so before the public release.

Thanks. I was actually wondering. If they were able to push updates now they could use other devs to "test" their apps. ;)

Thanks. I was actually wondering. If they were able to push updates now they could use other devs to "test" their apps. ;)

They can sign and distribute them on an ad-hoc basis, but there's no public distribution 'till about a week before :P.

Actually got around to installing iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 and iPad 3.  I'm liking it a lot more now that I'm seeing it in action.  On the iPhone 5 everything is very fluid and smooth.  Haven't hit any snags on it yet.  The iPad 3 is a different story.  Observing a lot of stuttering especially with task switching.  Also some apps (mostly games) just crash at this point.  Oh well, that's how betas go.  Hope they iron this out or scale it back before release.

The only thing I'm really critical of at this point is the transitions between screens are over animated and take too long (IMO).  I'd prefer less frames and faster would be better.  The fade-in of waking up the OS is also unnecessarily long I think.  Toggles on control center being right at the top has given me lots of opportunities to accidentally toggle something off when I'm just trying to close the shade.

The control center seems to me to be the biggest change in the whole OS.  Its the only thing that stands on its own as an actual UI new feature.  The rest seems like the same features just shifted.  The multitasking UI is nicer than the still images lead me to believe.  I was pretty critical of it, but after using it some I'd say its at least as fast if not a little faster to use than the iOS 6 one.  Mostly because you have more of the screen to use the gestures, but double clicking home is not as fast as a gesture. A way to transition from the control center to the multitasking w/o having to hit the home button would be nice.

Non iOS 7 apps are not as dramatically out of place as I thought they would be at this stage.  So far on my iPhone all the apps seem to work fine.

The only thing I'm really critical of at this point is the transitions between screens are over animated and take too long (IMO).  I'd prefer less frames and faster would be better.  The fade-in of waking up the OS is also unnecessarily long I think.  Toggles on control center being right at the top has given me lots of opportunities to accidentally toggle something off when I'm just trying to close the shade.

While I don't agree with the toggles I totally agree with the transition effects. I actually thought they were to long in iOS6 as well and installed a jailbreak tweak called &hook's law to get right of it because of it. Just makes the entire device "feel" so sluggish because of how slow the transitions are.  I understand they wanted to add a ton of eye candy and while I do think they are nicely done, it just makes the device feel overly slow in general. 

Not 100% true. Developers cannot submit applications using iOS7 APIs yet but they can submit updates to applications to make them work with iOS7. This can almost always be achieved by looking at which APIs are being deprecated in iOS7 and using others which exist in iOS6.

On both my iPad and my iPhone iOS 7 beta 6 when I try and edit the "Me" contact in Contacts the app crashes.  Other entries that I tested work just fine.

I'm in love with the Safari changes on iPhone.  All of the gestures are just wonderful.

I've noticed that my iPhone 5 is a bit warmer to the touch and the battery seems to be going a little faster... not 100% sure if I'm imagining things or not.  Anyone else notice a decrease in battery life with iOS 7 beta 6?  Thanks.

Liking it much more now, however, still thing the animations need to be quicker. You can still open an app quicker on IOS 6.

I've noticed that my iPhone 5 is a bit warmer to the touch and the battery seems to be going a little faster... not 100% sure if I'm imagining things or not.  Anyone else notice a decrease in battery life with iOS 7 beta 6?  Thanks.

My phone does feel warmer compared to b5, but the battery life seems about the same.