Yoshida on Oculus Rift: We have dev kits, 'I love it'

+Audioboxer

Sony Computer Entertainment head of Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida is a big Oculus Rift fan, it turns out. "We've got a couple of the development kits, and I tried it out and I love it," he told us in an interview this morning at E3 2013. Whether the PlayStation 4 will support it is another question. "No, it doesn't," Yoshida told us. Not yet, that is.

When we asked whether the company's planning on offering support in the future, he only offered a "No comment" with a big smile. The picture of the retail Oculus Rift is potentially a bit clearer now, especially given this week's addition of an HD version of the headset. We'll be sure to keep on Sony about Oculus support on the PlayStation 4 as the year goes on.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/12/playstation-4-oculus-rift/

astropheed

First Console to support Rift is the first Console to support my Wallet.

• Like 2
Shiranui

Oculus Rift is about the ONLY innovation worth taking notice of right now.

Let's face it, the upcoming generation is just more of the same with only slightly better graphics. Still not sure if I will bother, not having turned my 360 on for over 6 months.

• Like 2
The_Decryptor

What type of connectors does the rift have? If it used HDMI for video and USB to transmit sensor data then any console could support it (Which would be awesome)

astropheed

What type of connectors does the rift have? If it used HDMI for video and USB to transmit sensor data then any console could support it (Which would be awesome)

So far it uses a DVI/HDMI + USB Connector for the interfacing, the commercial version will likely be the same thing.

dead.cell

Oculus Rift is probably the only thing I'll just throw my money at hahah! :laugh:

Melfster

From what I have heard you really need to pair it with Kinect to make Oculus Rift really well. Then that would be literally game changing.

astropheed

From what I have heard you really need to pair it with Kinect to make Oculus Rift really well. Then that would be literally game changing.

Shame the Kinect is connected to the Xbox One.... Also I'm not sure I want to flail around my living room with what is basically a blindfold attached to my face.

The_Decryptor

So far it uses a DVI/HDMI + USB Connector for the interfacing, the commercial version will likely be the same thing.

Sounds good, hopefully they could tie into the existing 3D rendering functionality offered.

• 1 month later...
GotBored

PS4 Developers have confirmed they are using an Oculus Rift devkit and are hinting at future support for the Virtual Reality platform.

Shuhei Yoshida (Head of Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios) was asked if the PS4 supports the Oculus Rift and he said 'Not Yet" *hint* *hint*

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/12/playstation-4-oculus-rift/

• 2 weeks later...
Boolanger

Shame the Kinect is connected to the Xbox One.... Also I'm not sure I want to flail around my living room with what is basically a blindfold attached to my face.

Think the move and it's controllers actually work pretty well with the rift. Still blindfolded but at least your just moving a hand and not wandering around 

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By indospot
      Apple is reportedly working on an expensive "niche" VR headset
      by João Carrasqueira

Facebook's Oculus Quest 2 For years, Apple has been rumored to be working on virtual reality or augmented reality headsets, but we have yet to see any of those reports materialize. If you were hoping for even more reports without official confirmation from Apple, today is your lucky day.

According to a new report from Bloomberg's Mark Gurman, Apple is planning to launch a standalone VR-focused headset at some point in 2022, but it will be a high-end niche product, with Apple reportedly having "conservative" sales expectations. The virtual environment will include gaming, communication, and video content, and while AR support will exist in some capacity, the report claims it will be limited. While Apple has displayed more interest in augmented reality so far, the focus for this headset is on VR, and the goal is simply to get people ready for an eventual pair of AR glasses, which are also in development with the codename N421.

The VR headset, with the codename N301, is apparently going to be a premium piece of hardware in more than one way. The report claims Apple is using some of its most powerful processors in the device, with performance edging out the Apple M1 chipset in the latest Mac devices introduces in November. On top of that, the headset has a fan to keep running cool. Additionally, the displays will also have "much higher resolution" than existing VR headsets. However, that will go along with a price tag that's also significantly higher than that of rival products, with some insiders even claiming each Apple Store may only sell one device per day.

Interestingly, the inclusion of high-performance components and a fan made the headset too big and cumbersome, so Apple has seemingly removed the space that would allow users with glasses to actually wear the headset. Instead, the company has designed a way for prescription lenses to be inserted into the headset for users that need them. Apple is also using a fabric exterior to help the device be lighter considering the weight of its internals.

According to the report, the headset is in late prototyping stages, but it hasn't been finalized and could still change significantly or be canceled altogether before making it to market. Apple has been making investments in the VR space, though, so it wouldn't be surprising if something is afoot.

• By LoneWolfSL
      Valve has multiple games in development says Gabe Newell, "it's fun to ship games"
      by Pulasthi Ariyasinghe

Following the Portal 2 launch in 2011, Valve finally came back to the world of single-player campaigns last year with Half-Life: Alyx. While fans of the acclaimed studio may be fearful of another decade of waiting for its next project, it sounds like Valve is hoping to keep the single-player adventure games ball rolling after the Half-Life 2 prequel story's arrival.

In an interview with 1 News, Valve CEO and co-founder Gabe Newell revealed that multiple new games are currently in development at the studio, and the launch of its latest Half-Life game had invigorated the process.

"We definitely have games in development that we're going to be announcing — it's fun to ship games," Newell said. "Alyx was great — to be back doing single-player games, that created a lot of momentum inside of the company to do more of that."

Valve currently supports multiple multiplayer live service games such as CS:GO, Dota 2, Dota Underlords, and Artifact (which is still being redesigned). From Newell's wording, it's clear that he is speaking of brand new campaign-focused projects that still need official announcements. Valve has previously expressed its desire to make more Half-Life games after Alyx too.

Years ago, Valve was said to be working on three virtual reality games, and with the launch of the VR-exclusive hit Alyx, this could still be what we will be seeing going forward, or they may be games that utilize both standard and VR platforms. Valve certainly has a rich selection of franchises to draw from if it is making new entries.

Source: 1 News

• By Copernic
      Universal Media Server 10.0.0
      by Razvan Serea

Universal Media Server is a DLNA-compliant UPnP Media Server. UMS was started by SubJunk, an official developer of PMS, in order to ensure greater stability and file-compatibility. The program streams or transcodes many different media formats with little or no configuration. It is powered by MEncoder, FFmpeg, tsMuxeR, AviSynth, MediaInfo and more, which combine to offer support for a wide range of media formats. Because it is written in Java, Universal Media Server supports all major operating systems, with versions for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.

To see a comparison of popular media servers, click here.

Universal Media Server 10.0.0 - 2021-01-12 - Changes since 10.0.0-a1:

General

Retry media lookups that failed due to transient errors Fixed automatic file watching Renderers

Improved support for Sony Bluray UBP-X800M2 (thanks, thechrisgregory!) Fixed UPnP pushing via Panasonic TVs and Samsung Q9 TVs Translation updates via Crowdin

Czech (100%) Danish (100%) English (United Kingdom) (32%) Finnish (100%) Greek (91%) French (100%) Japanese (99%) Polish (100%) Portuguese (100%) Portuguese (Brazilian) (100%) Romanian (99%) Serbian (99%) Turkish (100%) Dependency updates

Bump spotbugs-maven-plugin from 4.1.4 to 4.2.0 Universal Media Server 10.0.0 - 2021-01-12 - Changes since 9.8.3:

DLNA browsing

When browsing a TV show in the Media Library, all videos across all seasons are visible. There are two new folders within the Movies and TV Shows folders - Filter by Progress and Filter by Information. Filter by Progress contains the Watched and Unwatched folders which used to sit within the Videos folder in the Media Library Filter by Information lets you filter the videos by a new rich metadata set (actors, genres, country, director, genre, IMDb rating, release date). Alongside that is a similar folder Filter by Information which lets you filter the videos by API metadata (actors, genres, etc.) New folders Recently Added, Recently Played, In Progress and Most Played are in the Media Library Web interface

Added breadcrumbs at the top of each page When in the TV Shows area of the Media Library, the TV shows themselves are shown as thumbnails, with covers from the API When browsing a TV show, a movie, or a TV episode, any API metadata is displayed along with a large cover image, including actors, awards, classification, country, directors, genres, plot, ratings, year, and total seasons. On those pages above, the colors on the pages are based on the cover image Clicking on an individual actor, country, director, genre, or start year, takes you to a list of other media that matches that metadata The last few items in the Recently Added, Recently Played, In Progress and Most Played folders are displayed on the front page Each TV show and movie has an IMDb icon and direct link if one is found Folder and media covers are shown Fixed bugs with the Back button Version has moved to the settings menu Minor design updates General

API is enabled even without filename prettifying Failed API lookups are debounced by 1 week to avoid network spam Changed prettified season/episode number formatting from Series - 101 - Episode to Series S01E01 - Episode Fixed some bugs with prettifying to support more files Added support for audio playlist thumbnails (thanks, sf666!) Playlist folders are correctly identified via UPnP (thanks, sf666!) Fixed automatic file watching Renderers

Improved support for Sony Bluray UBP-X800M2 (thanks, thechrisgregory!) Fixed UPnP pushing via Panasonic TVs and Samsung Q9 TVs Translation updates via Crowdin

Czech (100%) Danish (100%) English (United Kingdom) (32%) Finnish (100%) Greek (91%) French (100%) Japanese (99%) Polish (100%) Portuguese (100%) Portuguese (Brazilian) (100%) Romanian (99%) Serbian (99%) Turkish (100%) Dependency updates

Bump jQuery from 1.12.0 to 3.5.1 Bump spotbugs-maven-plugin from 4.1.4 to 4.2.0 Bump video.js from 7.2.3 to 7.10.1 Download: Universal Media Server 10.0 | 160.0 MB (Open Source)
      Download: Other operating systems
      View: Universal Media Server Website

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By Namerah S
      Sony announces PlayStation Plus titles for January 2021
      by Namerah Saud Fatmi

The names of titles to be added to Sony's monthly PlayStation Plus subscription service next month were announced today. In January 2021, PlayStation 4 owners who have the PS Plus membership will enjoy two freebies for the month. Meanwhile, PS5 users with the subscription will also get one free game.

Starting from January 5, PS4 users with the PS Plus subscription will be able to play action-adventure title Shadow of the Tomb Raider from the wildly popular Tomb Raider franchise. Square Enix debuted the game featuring Lara Croft at E3 2018. As for the second free title for the next month, that will be Greedfall, an ARPG video game developed by Spider and published by Focus Home Interactive. Incidentally, Greedfall also joined the Xbox Game Pass subscription earlier this month.

In addition to the freebies which will be available to PlayStation 4 gamers, Sony also announced that PlayStation 5 users with the PS Plus membership will get to play open-world RPG Maneater free of charge.

As usual, PlayStation Plus subscribers will have about one month to take advantage of their membership and play the free video games. The January 2021 games will be available until February 1, 2021.

• By LoneWolfSL
      Tetris Effect: Connected now supports VR play on the Microsoft Store PC version
      by Pulasthi Ariyasinghe

Enhance Games' Tetris Effect received multiplayer support with the 'Connected' expansion earlier this year, with the upgraded version releasing exclusively on Microsoft platforms Windows 10, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and Xbox Game Pass. While the PlayStation 4 and PC versions of the base Tetris Effect (exclusive to Epic Games Store) touts VR support, this has been absent on the Connected version, until now.

Today, Enhance Games announced that the award-winning title now supports virtual reality headsets in the Microsoft Store Windows 10 version, offering the immersive mode to both its owners and Xbox Game Pass for PC subscribers.

Following today's 1.1.0 patch for the title, the studio said official support for the HTC Vive (SteamVR) and OculusVR headsets is now available. Other SteamVR supporting headsets are also expected to work, but the studio hasn’t internally tested them.

When launching the game while an HMD is connected to the computer, it will now ask players if they want to start in VR or 2D. Oculus headset owners are able to utilize either OculusVR or SteamVR, but the studio recommends sticking with the former for the best experience.

As expected, the multiplayer modes will require more hardware horsepower to run compared to the single-player.

According to the studio's testing, an Intel Core i5-7500 paired with a GTX 1060 is required for VR play at a minimum, while a Core i7-9700 paired with an RTX 2060 is listed in the recommended section. The full changelog of patch 1.1.0 for Tetris Effect: Connected can be found here, which also lists all the bug fixes and adjustments included in this update.