New monitor advice

Hello!

I have a question for you guys.. So I'm thinking in getting a new monitor for my pc and I also would like one that had TV capabilities. I've found a lot of models and I'm not quite sure if they will met my requirements.

What I do want is a monitor for the pc and when I'm not using the PC i want to use it as a TV for regular stuff and to play my Nintendo 64. I have options such as 21.5" , 24" and 27" (i think higher than that will make the N64 look crappy).

Anyone uses a tv such as these ones as a N64 monitor? I'm not sure what size to get to keep the image at least ok

Thanks

Just get a regular TV, not a LCD. You can use HDMI on it.

Nintendo 64 FTW!!! What games are you playing, if I may ask?

Just get a regular TV, not a LCD. You can use HDMI on it.

Nintendo 64 FTW!!! What games are you playing, if I may ask?

Yeah but I'm moving to a smaller bedroom so I need a "hybrid" tv (monitor and tv). Sorry if I don't understood what u said haha but by regular tv u mean CRT?

My current games are golden eye, ocarina of time, pokemon stadium, mission impossible, RE 2, rogue squadron, shadows of the empire, star wars racer (i guess thats all I have for now but i'll get many more games)

To be honest the N64 looks pretty bad on all non-CRT displays, I've played N64 (via composite cable) on a 24" Monitor, 27" Monitor, and 32" LCD TV, there isn't really a massive difference in quality between them, they're all playable but far from pretty.

I play on a 15" CRT TV now, less input lag and it looks much better. If you can't play on a CRT have you considered getting an adapter (N64 Controller -> USB) and playing via a PC Emulator (mostly legal as long as you own the games)? Project64 2.0 has just been released and the emulated picture quality is significantly better than an original N64, although I understand it's not quite the same as playing an official console, I still prefer using a real N64 (by far my favourite console).

To be honest the N64 looks pretty bad on all non-CRT displays, I've played N64 (via composite cable) on a 24" Monitor, 27" Monitor, and 32" LCD TV, there isn't really a massive difference in quality between them, they're all playable but far from pretty.

damn... i've only tested on a 46" and 32" tv.. on the 1st, it was VERY awful but on 32" RE2 was kind of ok that's why i wondered if a lower screensize would be better... the bad is that i can't keep my 29" crt because it won't fit on my new bedroom :/

Go to your local HHGregg, BestBuy or Target. They have smaller TV's there that can suit you well. 20-24", for example. Make sure you computer and the TV has HDMI, and you are good.

Smash Bros, Mario 64, Mario Kart and Yoshi's Story were my favorites. Gave the N64 to my cousin, though.

Go to your local HHGregg, BestBuy or Target. They have smaller TV's there that can suit you well. 20-24", for example. Make sure you computer and the TV has HDMI, and you are good.

Smash Bros, Mario 64, Mario Kart and Yoshi's Story were my favorites. Gave the N64 to my cousin, though.

I live in Brazil, i'll have to search for different stores hehe i think a 24" will look good for the PC and N64 (or at least not that bad for the N64 lol)? :o

Yup, those games are on my buy list!!

Have you considered emulation? This way your PC can look as good as it should, and your games can look even better.

http://www.digitaltr...best-emulators/

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B003D61Y30

Yes I did but well.. I have the console, emulating does not give me the same feel as playing haha.. I think that the box I posted above may work. Or even one of those http://dx.com/p/usb-video-audio-capture-adapter-white-113103

I wonder if anyone tried

Just saw one of that converter in action here at work but it was on a SNES. It did worked and the image was also fullscreen! I think it worth to get a 27" and give it a try.. if it doesn't work, i'll have to emulate or something similar :/

I would recommend against a TV as a computer monitor. It will make your eyes burn!

It's not a tv actually.. it's a monitor that works as tv as well (the pixels arent bigger as in a tv, its just a regular monitor with tv capabilities not changing the screen). I was thinking the same about it and at least the model i'm planning to have wont burn my eyes luckly :)

What are the resolutions of the of the screens you are considering?

Unfortunatelly they are all full hd.. this is not a great idea for the 64, right? That's why i considered the upscaller i posted on the video few comments above

I was thinking the higher the resolution the better, because I am presuming you would be using it as a PC monitor a lot more often than a screen for the N64

I was thinking the higher the resolution the better, because I am presuming you would be using it as a PC monitor a lot more often than a screen for the N64

yes, you are correct, thats why i cant "discard" fullhd :/ but I'm very confident that the upscaler will work!