Transfer Speed

I am transferring large files between computers on my network, about 7GB or larger. They seem to max out at 11.5MB/s.

Shouldn't this be much faster? I know real life aren't going to be gigabit, but that seems extremely low, no?

Should be at about 80 not 11. There are several factors that come into play. Quality of equipment, noise on the wire, and what you are copying with. Windows copy is slow, you are better with robocopy or teracopy.

You can setup iperf to test your network speed to see if it a problem with your equipment or software. Basically if it runs fast it is your software if it runs slow there is something going on with your equipment to slow the speeds down to 100mb/s. if one end is at 100 that is all you would transfer at.

I am transferring large files between computers on my network, about 7GB or larger. They seem to max out at 11.5MB/s.

Shouldn't this be much faster? I know real life aren't going to be gigabit, but that seems extremely low, no?

Sounds about right for a 100 base ethernet network.

If you are running (non gigabit) ethernet, the max transfer speed is 100Mb (not MB). A MB is 8 Mb. So if you divide 100 by 8 you get your speeds.

I'd suggest investing in some better cables and a better switch :)

I am confused. Should I be getting more or not lol

It's gigabit ethernet router, and cables. I will test, but how can these things be. Geez.

*edit, my bad. My router is 100 base. Dang, I need to upgrade.

That is the thing there are a ton of variables. You have given us about 1/10th of the equation and asking us what is going on and if you should be getting more. Lets see with the information given the answer can be no, maybe, and yes.

Nic cards are they gig in both computers?

What speed do they show that they think they are communicating at?

How are your cables ran, are they close to strong power sources or light ballasts?

What type of router or switch are we dealing with? Is all equipment tied to the same switch? Or is one in one building and one in another building? Are you attempting to do this with some sort of Internet connection in between the two computers?

Details details details.

As I said above (I edited it) my router is 100 base. I guess I just figured everything was 10/100/1000.

Anyway, related question.

I don't copy files from system to computer all that much, but I do access folders and files on those computers. Would upgrading to 1000 base router help with that? Make it quicker, smoother?

I am in a big house. My computer is plugged into the wall, the wall ends up going into the router, that goes into my modem. That is all I know. There is a switch upstairs with other computers, but I don't believe it has any effect on my system.

It will help if you are doing a lot of file transfers or large transfers. For the cost of it it is worth it although you may not see a gain.

Instead of replacing the router, just getting a gigabit switch and putting it between your systems and the router would provide the speed benefits but without the extra cost.

Edit: I got a secondhand gigabit switch for $8 from a flea market and used that with my old WRT54GL for a while, worked fine.

As stated above you don't need to update your router - unless your internet is over 100mbit ;) Just pick up a gig switch they can be had NEW for like $30

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100010066%20600015752&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20