TV is infected with reality Shows

What is with all of these reality shows now?

For instance

Theres:

Storage Wars

Storage Wars Texas

Storage Wars NY

Pawn Stars

Duck Dynasty

Property Wars

Shipping Wars

American Pickers

Storage Hunters

Hardcore Pawn

Lizard Lick towing

Axe Men

Cajun Pawn Stars

American Restoration

Counting Cars

Operation Repo

Bait Car

The list goes infinitely.

Some of these shows are good, but TV has this reality show virus that reality shows either multiply or a original reality show mutates into another spinoff.

They should call them unreality. Every one of them is scripted, it's just a matter of degree. Two examples...

Operation Repo - I know for a fact that repo men/women can't lay their hands on someone else unless it's in self-defense, the bald headed guy does it constantly.

Hardcore Pawn - This one is a complete joke. Even in Detroit, do you really think there are that many angry customers coming into the store that want to pick a fist fight with the owner?

I could go on but why bother, these shows are why I stopped watching TV, just movies for me. :D

Odd, I never see any reality shows on my TV -- and by TV you mean that folder on my Computer that is labelled "TV", right?

Yeah those reality shows are pretty stupid. But a person doesn't have to watch them, nothing is forcing you to watch.

It's simple, don't like em, don't watch em.

You have 168 hours a week of air time to fill with a limited budget so you make the odd expensive series like Gladiator then add several cheap reality series and a large sprinkle of reruns or repeats interspersed with adverts.

Hmm.. half the shows I watch are Reality..

Pawn Stars

Big Brother (us and canada)

Deadliest Catch

Ghost Adventures

The Discovery channel had good shows in the 2000s like American Chopper, Dirty Jobs, Mythbusters, Deadliest Catch, Monster Garage, and Junkyard wars. Now the quality and ingenuity of the shows have gone down the tubes.

i suppose it is a good thing i do not watch television then. I hate reality shows.

You think you got it bad.. try being in the UK. It's stupid rubbish soaps and the rest.. big brother, the voice, Britain got talent, x factor, all crap TV. I miss good old TV back in the 90's. Stuff that you didn't mind saying to people that you watch.

1st rule of mass media - give the people what they want

2nd rule - it's a numbers game...throw 100 shows at them, keep the 5 that stick

the only reality show i ever watched was john & kate plus 8 before they ruined it all.

The Discovery channel had good shows in the 2000s like American Chopper, Dirty Jobs, Mythbusters, Deadliest Catch, Monster Garage, and Junkyard wars. Now the quality and ingenuity of the shows have gone down the tubes.

With the exception of Mythbusters, all those shows are technically reality shows

Hardcore Pawn - This one is a complete joke. Even in Detroit, do you really think there are that many angry customers coming into the store that want to pick a fist fight with the owner?

you should go to American jewelry and loan..... unfortunately just one visit you will see someone trying to pick a fight over something..... sad thing is, that place is really like that...

I generally abstain from such shows, don't know how bad it is in american/UK television, but in Germany there are things like "Big Brother", "Die Super-Nanny", "Mitten im Leben" and "Dschungelcamp" (just to list a few).

I pity people who watch the problems of other people (scripted or not) for their enjoyment, they do nothing but dumb you down in my opinion.

But as with all things, if there are enough people who consume it, it will grow and after all infest TV like a plague.

EDIT: Just noticed that "Supernanny", "Big Brother" and "I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here!" also have worldwide/british equivalents...

I think they are cheaper to produce then many other forms of entertainment thats why there are so many.

Yep. No actors, no writers, just find some narcissists and throw them in front of a camera.

TV is utter ****. I only own one to watch movies, play games and occasionally watch the news.

Yep. No actors, no writers, just find some narcissists and throw them in front of a camera.

TV is utter ****. I only own one to watch movies, play games and occasionally watch the news.

"Reality" shows are very scripted and edited, there is no such thing as a true reality show that I'm aware of

I feel sorry for anyone growing up with this junk instead of actual educational programs.

"Reality" shows are very scripted and edited, there is no such thing as a true reality show that I'm aware of

Exactly.

I'd go out on a limb and say that Cops is one of the few that is least scripted.

Not just those reality shows, but cartoons and sitcoms have gone downhill.

Looney Tunes where they did not-so-politically-correct things ...... effing hilarious. The NBC sitcom "Friends" where Ross did the alternative sign for giving the finger at someone - that's the best invention ever!

I only watch game shows on Game Show Network nowadays.