Can I make paging file on non-system drive only?

My system:

• Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
  • AMD Athlon II X4 620 @ 2.6ghz
  • 4GB DDR3 RAM
  • ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB DDR5
  • Sys drive - Western Digital 500GB - 40mB/s write
  • Storage drive - Western Digital 200GB - 40mB/s writ

I ran into a situation the other day that I THINK was related to inadequate RAM. I only have 4GB of RAM, and I only had a 4GB page file on my system drive. After trying to run Adobe After Effects with a 14GB video loaded, with Chrome and uTorrent open in the background, after rendering was done my system ground to a halt. Even though no processing was actually being done, my harddrive light was strobing and I had to reboot just to get out of it.

So I'm wondering, can I set the page file to a secondary drive that doesn't contain the system files or the large video files? I assume it would be a little faster, whether it fixes my specific problem or not, but would it cause additional problems down the road? Do I HAVE to have the paging file on the system drive, as is default? My 2nd HD has the same read/write speed as my main drive, which is strange because it is nearly twice as old.

(and PLEASE don't say just buy more RAM or a faster HD, believe me an 8GB pair and an SSD are the first things on my list as soon as I can afford it.)

EDIT: I just re-created the scenario while running Performance Monitor to check the total committed bytes to memory, and during the AE render it appears to be maxing out at about 5,280GB. Since I have 4GB of RAM, that would imply I only need 1,184GB of paging file. Strange...

It's pretty common to have the page file on a non-system drive. If excessive paging is what you were experiencing, it should help quite a bit depending on the speed of your secondary drive.

just set the paging file size on c: to 0mb and the other drive to whatever you need