PS4 is quite the engineering marvel

This sounds like a heat disaster waiting to happen.  Small form factor with parts that are already going to run hot, then throw in the power supply as well?  I assume it won't be an issue, but it makes one wonder.

I'd love to have a standard size for both consoles, I love that my receiver and bluray player are exactly the same width and if I ever did move to a rack type setup they'd fit perfectly.  Anyway, I think both consoles will look great in my HT setup, both the ps3 and xbox stick out like a sore thumb at the moment, cant wait to replace them.

I'd love to have a standard size for both consoles, I love that my receiver and bluray player are exactly the same width and if I ever did move to a rack type setup they'd fit perfectly.  Anyway, I think both consoles will look great in my HT setup, both the ps3 and xbox stick out like a sore thumb at the moment, cant wait to replace them.

Have you got a fatty? I think the first Slim is the best looking. Would of gave it to the newest because it's that damn small, but I prefer slot loading.

This sounds like a heat disaster waiting to happen.  Small form factor with parts that are already going to run hot, then throw in the power supply as well?  I assume it won't be an issue, but it makes one wonder.

Good point.

Has anyone actually seen one in action?  E3 only had dev kits.

Maybe you can't see through your green colored glasses.. Those threads are different.. here's this one:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1159386-ps4-is-quite-the-engineering-marvel/page-4

And heres the other one:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1158120-a-look-at-the-new-ps4-design/

They are clearly not the same thread, and both cover different information.  The latter is about the physical design/astethics this one is about the actual hardware components and how they are put together (inside looks).

As you say the proof is in the pudding, both threads have unique id's, both have unique content, and both are still 100% accessible.

and you need two separate threads for that?

anyways, it just seems two threads wasn't needed for that but oh well. whatever.

checking-out-the-pstwo-20041015062410097

P9251917-580-90.JPG

P9251915-580-90.JPG

All internal power supplies. 

Have you got a fatty? I think the first Slim is the best looking. Would of gave it to the newest because it's that damn small, but I prefer slot loading.

yea, the 2nd gen that was released after they removed the usb ports from the back.  I think I just wasnt a fan of the rounded hump, very glad next gen is flat and I can at least throw a controller on top of it

It's to bad the 7GB unreserved space in RAM will go largely unutilized. They could have done a lot more to this machine; software-wise that is.

Its weird how sony starts off with a fat Playstation and makes it lose weight over time. I never was really crazy about the PS3's design. I think the square design is much better.

theres also rumor that MS lower the CPU's G/MHz because of 'heat problem', no such rumor on PS4, yet.

Major Nelson has said that rumour's false and it was down to ESRAM yields, not heat.

Audioboxer, on 18 Jun 2013 - 09:45, said:

checking-out-the-pstwo-20041015062410097

All internal power supplies. 

Not quite. PS2 slim has an external power supply.  I had to go check the box mine is in to double check.

• Like 2

I don't think it's easy to make any assessments really. I never thought the Xbox 360 would have issues with heat or anything considering how big the casing was and how loud the fans got (I used to call it a hurricane). The PS3 wasn't nearly as loud. Microsoft's stance that the X1 would be a "water cooler" concerns me as to how much heat they are actually generating or if they're actually just overcompensating this time around.

I don't think it's easy to make any assessments really. I never thought the Xbox 360 would have issues with heat or anything considering how big the casing was and how loud the fans got (I used to call it a hurricane). The PS3 wasn't nearly as loud. Microsoft's stance that the X1 would be a "water cooler" concerns me as to how much heat they are actually generating or if they're actually just overcompensating this time around.

It was the DVD that got loud on the 360, the fans where actually louder on the PS3. but the DVD on the first gens without the benq drive was really loud. 

Internal PSU are a must. Only thing I dislike about my 360 is the huge brick I have to arrange behind my cabinet and how difficult it makes cleaning and dusting (kind of a neat/clean freak)

Not quite. PS2 slim has an external power supply. I had to go check the box mine is in to double check.

They managed to make it internal again for the very last PS2 slim revision released.

The ps4 is an engineering marvel is quite the hyperbole. Anyways it was supposed to be 50% more powerful than the Xbox however even 1st party Sony devs can't seem to hit 1080p@60fps on any of the games. They all fall in the 30fps and below range. Even the game knack that's developed by the same guy who engineered the ps4 console can't even hit 30fps.

That's some wicked "engineering marvel that is" /s

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-playstation-4

While on the Xbox one which is supposedly 50% slower than the ps4 have shown that it really isn't slower at all. 1st party devs have reached the 1080p@60fps mark in more than one titles (forza 5 and titanfall) and those games were running on actual dev kits.

How it looks is that the ps4 is actually the slower console. People can say give devs time to optimize, but how much optimization can they do when their engine can't even hit 30fps

The ps4 is an engineering marvel is quite the hyperbole. Anyways it was supposed to be 50% more powerful than the Xbox however even 1st party Sony devs can't seem to hit 1080p@60fps on any of the games. They all fall in the 30fps and below range. Even the game knack that's developed by the same guy who engineered the ps4 console can't even hit 30fps.

While on the Xbox one which is supposedly 50% slower than the ps4 have shown that it really isn't slower at all. 1st party devs have reached the 1080p@60fps mark in more than one titles (forza 5 and titanfall) and those games were running on actual dev kits.

How it looks is that the ps4 is actually the slower console. People can say give devs time to optimize, but how much optimization can they do when their engine can't even hit 30fps

I didn't know you played with final hardware and software. Please tell us more

50 percent more powerful

16 4Gb GDDR5

What am I missing here?  I thought both consoles had 8 GB RAM (Admittedly different types)

As for the 50 % more powerful claim, I've not heard this before, and with the XBox One's Cloud Capability, find it hard to believe...

You are also comparing apples to oranges with your game comparisons... Comparing the framerates of totally different games is completely pointless and does not help prove your "point" in the slightest. The only real argument would be if cross platform games ran at lower framerates than on the xbox one.

Both consoles have extremely similar hardware, but the ps4 has more/faster ram available to games and more shaders on the GPU. If a game can hit 60 on the xbone, it can certainly hit 60 on the ps4. Your wild speculation aside, the fact is the ps4 does have slightly more powerful hardware (although honestly it shouldn't make a huuuge difference because both consoles have similar specs for the most part).

You are also comparing apples to oranges with your game comparisons... Comparing the framerates of totally different games is completely pointless and does not help prove your "point" in the slightest. The only real argument would be if cross platform games ran at lower framerates than on the xbox one.

I was talking about 1st party titles, if any dev was to be able to hit it, it should've been 1st party devs correct?

What am I missing here?  I thought both consoles had 8 GB RAM (Admittedly different types)

As for the 50 % more powerful claim, I've not heard this before, and with the XBox One's Cloud Capability, find it hard to believe...

Oh that was one of the arguments some members had here! It died or at least slowed down several weeks ago. You can even find articles where an "unnamed" developer claims games like Call of Duty will look WAY better at launch in the PS4, in comparison to the XO.

Well, kinda. I mean yeah, those are different games. But you are expecting something about next-gen, don't you? That's why some people put benchmarks like that one (60fps), which is obvious Sony is not meeting in its games (when I believe they claimed it?).

Apples to oranges with framerates? What?

Even the 1st party game Killzone barely hit 30FPS according to that article. That could mean quite a few things. The hardware is not stable, having problems with heat, or the developers are really struggling with it. It also could be a mix. Judging by some of the jumps from the E3 demos, I'd say its a mix of the hardware and software. You've got to remember, MS are the king of anything developer, API's SDK's etc. People are also quick to jump on the 50% bandwagon but that claim is completely false, along with the rumors of the specifications anyway.

I hope Sony do create a stable console at launch. An internal PSU is a nice consumer benefit but an engineering nightmare.

16 x 4Gb (gigabit) chips is 8GB (gigabytes).