Xbox One: No Games DRM or "Always Online"

No its not. You can still play games with these conditions. Think for a second about people without internet under the old ones.

Sigh, so make my gaming experience worst to make someone else's the same as it has always been. That makes sense to you?

Hahahahahaha.... the rage. It's beautiful.

Never thought I'd see the day on Neowin I'd be defending/cheering the heck out of the Xbox/a MS decision and people are getting angry at me and annoyed at MS.

Also, playing your games whilst downloading them, there's a new feature.

I am annoyed because features that I've been looking forward to just got stripped out because of shortsighted people and its upsetting.

No discless switching between games

No family share

No friend share

No digital sale, trade, lend games

OMG this is the best post I've read on Neowin in ages. Almost like it came from a parody account.

I'm sure you're glad for the news because now the policies are just like your favorite ps4 console's right? one of the upside to the Xbox one compared to the ps4 just got removed so I'm sure you're loving the news.

Anyways so far the Xbox actually seems to be the more powerful system as games are running at 1080p 60fps while on the ps4 they're nowhere close to that sort of frame rates, the ps4 games are all running at 30fps and less.

You sound like a cry baby...its just a console.. Not sure if this is a 12 year old behind the computer screen... :(

Nope, not 12 and its a tablet screen not a "computer" screen. And not a cry baby just a really annoyed future Xbox one owner.

You will still have your digital downloads. You will still have your cloud computing. You just lose your draconian DRM.

So sincerely and truly, anyone who is still defending MS like what they were going to institute was the "future of gaming" and "now they lack creativity" truly loses any ounce of credibility you may have had, which admitedely was very, very little to begin with.

Kudos to MS for coming around on this so soon. It was only a matter of time.

What draconian DRM?  I wouldn't call allowing you to compile a library that can be accessed anywhere draconian and I wouldn't say that family sharing was draconian either. 

I think a lot of people stop thinking when they see the letters DRM and automatically assume the worst.

You will still have your digital downloads. You will still have your cloud computing. You just lose your draconian DRM.

So sincerely and truly, anyone who is still defending MS like what they were going to institute was the "future of gaming" and "now they lack creativity" truly loses any ounce of credibility you may have had, which admitedely was very, very little to begin with.

Using a DRM system that has never existed on a console is draconian... you may need to look that word up before ever use it again. What is draconian however, is the pricing schemes of games, which we will now continue to be stuck in thanks to Microsoft backing out of this. So sincerely and truly, congrats and being rich and willing to dish out extra money just for ****s and giggles. The rest of us were hoping this would finally drive the cost of games down.

And I also lose my sharing with 10 other people...which was my favorite feature of the console.

Oh cry us a river.  Just because you didn't agree with it didn't make it bad or draconian.  If anything you lose credibility for trying to tell others they're not credible for having a different opinion than you.

As MS would put it.....Deal with it! :laugh:

If they can afford it why are they waiting for you to get done with it so they can leech off of you instead of getting their own game?

For the same reason some people rent games. Because if you're only going to play single-player, your almost never gonna play it once you're done with the campaign.

Why would people carpool when they can afford they're own car? /s

You're incredibly deluded if think this drm would be a magical bringer of lower prices. Just look at xbla. There are many things you can only get there, and thus cant be bought used. And guess what, most if not all of them almost never got a price drop. Despite the fact that there is no used xbla game market.

I find it amusing when people argue based on facts inspired from dream worlds. In the real world, were I live, game companies have high prices to make back their expenses from development. Once that has been done, they lower the price of the cost of the new game. XBLA was a disaster with not very many people buying into the system. Thus, nobody made their money back and never lowered the prices. Why are so many people talking before thinking. This is common sense stuff people.

I am?  It doesn't really affect me, although your assumptions and reactions are very amusing.

Why thank you! All that matters to me is the games so this doesnt bother me any.

Using a DRM system that has never exected on a console is draconian... you may need to look that word up before ever use it again. What is draconian however, is the pricing schemes of games, which we will now continue to be stuck in thanks to Microsoft backing out of this. So sincerely and truly, congrats and being rich and willing to dish out extra money just for ****s and giggles. The rest of us were hoping this would finally drive the cost of games down.

I know exactly what draconian means. What they were trying to institute was dated and dead on arrival. Seems like a perfect term to use for me.

And seriously, all they did was give people more freedom, and that is somehow a bad thing?? Wow. You are all delusional at best. Sad at worst.

Trying to reason with anyone who believed what they were doing is obviously a last cause. So carry on XBros, carry on.

And just to clarify, there is a huge difference between an opinion and BIAS. People's so called opinion was clearly dictated by bias.

Oh cry us a river.  Just because you didn't agree with it didn't make it bad or draconian.  If anything you lose credibility for trying to tell others they're not credible for having a different opinion than you.

th?id=H.4764580058498797&pid=1.7 With that kind of statement... we wonder why people do the dumbshit they do everyday

When i think of sharing a game with someone i think of lending it to them for a short time to let them see if they like it. I don't give it to them with the intention of letting them essentially keep the game and get a free ride by leeching entirely off of my purchases, my money.

You have a bizarre view on what the family sharing option was

• Like 2

Sigh, so make my gaming experience worst to make someone else's the same as it has always been. That makes sense to you?

I am annoyed because features that I've been looking forward to just got stripped out because of shortsighted people and its upsetting.

No family share

No friend share

I'm sure you're glad for the news because now the policies are just like your favorite ps4 console's right? one of the upside to the Xbox one compared to the ps4 just got removed so I'm sure you're loving the news.

Anyways so far the Xbox actually seems to be the more powerful system as games are running at 1080p 60fps while on the ps4 they're nowhere close to that sort of frame rates, the ps4 games are all running at 30fps and less.

Nope, not 12 and its a tablet screen not a "computer" screen. And not a cry baby just a really annoyed future Xbox one owner.

We're shortsighted? You'll be thanking us in 10 years time when you want to revisit one of your favourite Xbox One games & don't have to worry about the authentication servers being offline.

And again, like others have said, you haven't lost the ability to share. Xbox One's DRM would have stopped you. Now you can lend your games to as many people as you like, as often as you like.

Games will still probably be installed to the HDD, so discs will not be damaged & if people are too lazy to switch a disc then they have more pressing issues in their life quite frankly.

• Like 2

I know exactly what draconian means. What they were trying to institute was dated and dead on arrival. Seems like a perfect term to use for me.

And seriously, all they did was give people more freedom, and that is somehow a bad thing?? Wow. You are all delusional at best. Sad at worst.

Trying to reason with anyone who believed what they were doing is obviously a last cause. So carry on XBros, carry on.

No they didn't. If they had chosen to keep family sharing and disc-less gaming (when installed from disc) WHEN connected, then they would give people more freedom. Now they removed the features I wanted, just to fix "your" problems. It's not more freedom, the roles just turned.

How was it dated and dead on arrival?  Even if that was true, how does it make the DRM draconian?  How have people got more freedom now? 

Unsubstantiated claims != reasoning.

Hmmm... interesting indeed, they had to eat their own arrogance for once. Bravo for competition.

I don't know if it's arrogance. I'd say Shareholder pressure to generate as much revenue as possible, from wherever possible. Financial reports don't really always reveal what divisions are truly profitable and which ones are not. Shareholders still want to sell of the Entertainment division. They must have a reason.

Anyway, this is good. I think it's clear these restrictions would have been a disaster. Many Xbox owners, myself included, simply were not going to purchase an XBox One with these restrictions and control. I guess we can thank Sony for not doing something similar or we would have all been screwed.

The scary thing is, and this includes changes in Windows 8, MS appears to only care what customers think if they keep their wallets closed and scream a lot. Breaking into smaller business' might be best for MS at this point. Maybe it will relieve some of the Shareholder pressure that has caused them to disconnect from consumers' wants, needs, and desires.

So thanks to the whiners, I can no longer

- share my library with my family = Yes you can. Loan the disc to them.

- play my games with the disk, protecting the disk = Don't treat it like **** and you'll be fine. The original DRM policy made the physical media useless anyway.

- switch games instantly since disk is required = Much like Kinect games, changing games will require you to get off your ass. So sorry!

- play my games on any of my consoles without remembering to bring the disk. = How many consoles do you plan to drop $500 on and refer to answer #3.

- lend games to friends = See answer #1

- rent games digitally. = I doubt this would've made it far as its doing the same thing, which is costing a sale in the eyes of publishers as renting discs.

Thank you guys. you're awesome for saving me from this freedom. /s = No problem :D

I'd love to have some hard figures on how many DRM apologists are also "connected" Facebook, social-type sheep :rolleyes: IMO, the previous policy would've resulted in tighter and tighter restrictions on use over time. Its all about incrementalism. Don't worry, I'm sure this type of thing has simply been put on the back burner for the next gen. Just buy all your games digitally this time so Microsoft can boast about all their B.S. telemetry which will justify the move.

I find it amusing when people argue based on facts inspired from dream worlds. In the real world, were I live, game companies have high prices to make back their expenses from development. Once that has been done, they lower the price of the cost of the new game. XBLA was a disaster with not very many people buying into the system. Thus, nobody made their money back and never lowered the prices. Why are so many people talking before thinking. This is common sense stuff people.

Your assumption that no used games would immediately translate into better prices is just as "dream worldly". But hey, keep on dreamin.

We're shortsighted? You'll be thanking us in 10 years time when you want to revisit one of your favourite Xbox One games & don't have to worry about the authentication servers being offline.

And again, like others have said, you haven't lost the ability to share. Xbox One's DRM would have stopped you. Now you can lend your games to as many people as you like, as often as you like.

Games will still probably be installed to the HDD, so discs will not be damaged & if people are too lazy to switch a disc then they have more pressing issues in their life quite frankly.

Plus the ability to add digital sharing options down the road doesn't suddenly disappear. If MS weren't even able to tell us how their digital sharing was going to work prior till now, it clearly wasn't fully ready anyway. If Steam can add something like this by retro fitting it on, so can anyone else. One good thing about digital is policies can be added easily, compared to trying to make physical changes to a piece of hardware.

Think about it people, you're losing your **** over a feature that wasn't even fully detailed, outlined and clear as to what the complete rules of family sharing were going to be. All we had heard was 2 people can play the SP of the same game at once, but only 1 person can ever be playing the MP part of a game at once. The dreamers thinking it was going to lead to buy a game once, all 10 people chip in, sharing freedom, were smoking some serious crack.

Buy a PS4?

Thanks for the endorsement in the sig. I want all ps4 fans to know so thanks for the help. Going into work to rip my boss a new one too.

So Microsoft gives the people what they want, and they still complain?

First. This wasn't what I wanted it was what the people who can't see a bigger picture wanted who are the lesser of mankind.

Of course it was dated. They onced the release time frame when they announced the system. YOu still fail to use such basic terms in a coherent manner. Just stop using them and maybe your points would sound so retarded. You clearly don't know what draconian means.

I don't get your use of the term Xbros though? Not capable of having a coherent conversation without the use of fabrications and assumptions? You are arguing that it is a good thing that new game prices will remain high across all systems and you don't even realize it because you through your reading comprehension skills out the window. That doesn't just go for the Xbox. That goes for the PS4 which makes me sad because I was looking forward to having that systems prices come down when Xbox game prices forced them down. Good job arguing for corporate greed though. In the meantime, my point still stands. We have no lost the opportunity to reverse these high game prices and you are sitting here arguing that having high game prices is a good thing and anyone who argues against it is unreasonable....right. Like I said before, I am glad you are rich and don't care about money at all and just throw it away without thinking twice.

No family share

No friend share

It is sad that they removed these features - I was really looking forward to them. I wish they could have implemented an offline mode without those features and online mode with those features to cater to both sides.

Look I'll leave it with this. People are blaming the internet for the changes. waaah this and waaah that. The internet is a HUGE community. Businesses have reported on the issues, people have spoken, the power is of the peoples wallets in the end and MS listened.

then for some on NEOWIN.net to think they are soo important to deem themselves the final judge on this whole DRM/kinect/xboxone issue(s), you are out numbered. you limit your argument to neowin, the people have spoken and MS seems to have listened to whatever degree

• Like 2