Xbox One: No Games DRM or "Always Online"

The fact that you think it was the "cry babies" responsible for this is hilarious. I think you should watch the Sony conference again. People were cheering for a reason.

Playstation journalists, not "people", as in average joes. 

Journalists who refused to report on the whole aspect of the DRM and functions of it are the ones who lead this whole ridiculous crusade to start with. 

I think it's funny that people are blaming "us". If MS were so sure of their plan they wouldn't be making a drastic move like this. They've decided it's not the right way to progress either, so if you want to bitch, bitch at them.

No, I'm going to bitch at "you" about it.  You people complained loud enough and, unfortunately, got them to listen.  That's how the market works.  That's how business works.  You'd complain about them not listening to the consumer if they didn't do this, so you're just a hippocrate right now.

OT: hate to break it to you but, it's not.

I believe the start button is coming back in Windows 8.1 is it not? If yes, then that would be Microsoft listening to feedback as well.

They aren't doing it for the minority.

They're doing it to keep the majority.

I believe the start button is coming back in Windows 8.1 is it not? If yes, then that would be Microsoft listening to feedback as well.

They aren't doing it for the minority.

They're doing it to keep the majority.

button, not menu. 

Well, one thing is that the Xbox One will be around for another 7-8 years for sure before the next Xbox comes up.  I bet in 4-5 years they'll try to rework these ideas back into the system piece by piece.

Playstation journalists, not "people", as in average joes. 

Journalists who refused to report on the whole aspect of the DRM and functions of it are the ones who lead this whole ridiculous crusade to start with. 

You must not have been on the internet at all that night. "Normal people" all across the internet were cheering.

So thanks to the whiners, I can no longer

- share my library with my fanily

I can do this now. They can help themselves to my entire library. Crazy concept, they just pick it up off the shelf.

- play my games with the disk, protecting the disk

I assume you mean without? Just install it anyway, this means the disc doesn't get used.

- switch games instantly since disk is required

Its such a chore swapping discs.

- play my games on any of my consoles without remembering to bring the disk.

I guess youll just have to improve your memory. Try brain training.

- lend games to friends

Great news. You can now do this without restrictions.

- rent games digitally. 

You couldn't do this anyway.

Thank you guys. you're awesome for saving me from this freedom. /s

No problem. Some of us have the sense to think of whats best for the majority of consumers not just ourselves (Y).

Well I shall be eating my hat as stated earlier. Pre-Order cancelled

lmao over a feature? You people are ridiculous. Guess no xbox one or ps4 since they basically the same right?  

Umm... all these things are still possible without DRM...

Has Microsoft actually confirmed those things or are you just throwing an assumption tantrum?

RTFA, yes it's confirmed. and no it's not possible without DRM, much like Netflix, spotify, Pandora etc. is not possible without DRM. 

Family sharing. RIP

I've got a feeling that some of these features (family sharing, fast switching, etc.) will be available for games you download but not for disc-based games. Steam-like digital distribution is the future and MS are unlikely to give up on it because of a few vocal fanboys on the internet who can't cope with change.

Similarly, the sharing library [is something] we won?t be able to deliver at launch."

######..I hope they do get it sorted out.

- lend games to friends

- rent games digitally. 

Depending on the media type, you can do all but the last one

You need to now decide which type of media you wish to purchase your content on, digital or physical, both have pros and cons

But you get to decide which are more important to you.

I've got a feeling that some of these features (family sharing, fast switching, etc.) will be available for games you download but not for disc-based games. Steam-like digital distribution is the future and MS are unlikely to give up on it because of a few vocal fanboys on the internet who can't cope with change.

Fun fact: PS4's UI video shows all DD games being purchased and launched. So much for the draconian DRM in XB1. :S

lmao over a feature? You people are ridiculous. Guess no xbox one or ps4 since they basically the same right?  

Yeah no PS4 either, waste of time. The benefits that were gained from the restrictions, far outweighed some archaic attachment to physical media and saving a few dollars while being ripped off by GameStop or whatever they're called

• Like 2

Fun fact: PS4's UI video shows all DD games being purchased and launched. So much for the draconian DRM in XB1. :s

What exactly are you trying to say here?

BNJr_uKCEAAG2XG.jpg

Yep because they've totally removed it in four days... they've got tilllaunch to come up with a day one patch. Not exactly easy.

I can do this now. They can help themselves to my entire library. Crazy concept, they just pick it up off the shelf.

I assume you mean without? Just install it anyway, this means the disc doesn't get used.

Its such a chore swapping discs.

I guess youll just have to improve your memory. Try brain training.

- lend games to friends

Great news. You can now do this without restrictions.

- rent games digitally. 

You couldn't do this anyway.

No problem. Some of us have the sense to think of whats best for the majority of consumers not just ourselves (Y).

Why would I want to run with my disk up and down the stairs, when I could have my entire libary working n both consoles here. and consoles elsewhere. and I could share my library with my family, including the ones living 2 hours away in Sweden. Andeven if I install the disk, I still need to take out the disk and have it in the console, as opposed to safe in a case on the shelf. not a chore. but sometimes I like to swap around games, untill I decide what to play. it's better not to require a disk, arguing that havign to insert a disk to change game is better is rather. ridiculous.

with their old system I could lend games digitally to my friends(not at launch but soon after), and they where implementing digital renting. way to keep up. 

My friend from within MS says this is in part due to the backlash from the community (they expected it), but mostly because of a request from the US Department of Defense that heard their troops in warzones were basically being shut out by the DRM.

Now all I hope is Family Sharing will return at some point for the digital games. I'm still going all digital next gen.