Xbox One: No Games DRM or "Always Online"

Why do they need a day one patch if the OS is likely not finished yet? I don't really get that.

While I support Microsoft trying to move the industry into the future, I think the original implementation was too much moving.  Microsoft should have came to a compromise rather than caving in.   

LOL.

Can't believe people are wanting DRM back, best thing MS have done in a while.

That DRM was the best thing that could happen to the console. Leaving the extra features that were possible with it, with that DRM required, game developers and publishers could guarantee more sales, as they won't lose any to game rental services, piracy and extended sharing. And with that in mind, lower the game prices by a good amount. Because more sales with lower prices is the same as less sales with higher prices. And, actually better for the consumer; the biggest reason why Steam is so successful.

Depending on the media type, you can do all but the last one

You need to now decide which type of media you wish to purchase your content on, digital or physical, both have pros and cons

But you get to decide which are more important to you.

As opposed to having all the pro's...

What exactly are you trying to say here?

That everyone shat on the Microsoft for DRM but didn't notice the irony in PS4's marketing video.

If they lower the price to 399, same as Sony's.. that should be interesting. After all, it's pretty much the same thing up until now. Except the Xbone has TV. LOL. 

That DRM was the best thing that could happen to the console. Leaving the extra features that were possible with it, with that DRM required, game developers and publishers could guarantee more sales, as they won't lose any to game rental services, piracy and extended sharing. And with that in mind, lower the game prices by a good amount. Because more sales with lower prices is the same as less sales with higher prices. And, actually better for the consumer; the biggest reason why Steam is so successful.

You're kidding yourself if you expected MS to follow Steams prices. You can still happily watch this generation unfold and see if Steam like pricing is there. Bet you it isn't.

That everyone shat on the Microsoft for DRM but didn't notice the irony in PS4's marketing video.

People shat on 24 hour check ins and not being able to use a disc like how you expect to.

• Like 1

You're kidding yourself if you expected MS to follow Steams prices. You can still happily watch this generation unfold and see if Steam like pricing is there. Bet you it isn't.

Now it won't, obviously.

Now it won't, obviously.

And before it magically would? There's an abundance of documented reasons why PC games are and can be cheaper versus why console games never need to be.

Why would I want to run with my disk up and down the stairs, when I could have my entire libary working n both consoles here.  Ha ha ha wow, so you would take draconian DRM simply so you don't have to go up and down the stairs? incredible. I don't think the Kinect is for you either. Regardless, theyre not getting rid of digital downloads so you can still sit on your butt and access any game to your hearts content. and consoles elsewhere. and I could share my library with my family, including the ones living 2 hours away in Sweden. Andeven if I install the disk, I still need to take out the disk and have it in the console, as opposed to safe in a case on the shelf. I thought you didn't want to have a disc collection anymore? why are you worried about scratched discs? just download them. not a chore. but sometimes I like to swap around games, untill I decide what to play. it's better not to require a disk, arguing that havign to insert a disk to change game is better is rather. ridiculous.

with their old system I could lend games digitally to my friends(not at launch but soon after), and they where implementing digital rentingway to keep up.

Nope it was something they said they were looking in to. Nice attempt to try and make yourself appear to be in the know however

MS keeps saying "Just like you could before" I don't want to be doing it like i did before, with a new console i want to be gaming like it's the future not the past.

Basically we're now stuck with two nextgen consoles with last gen thinking.

MS keeps saying "Just like you could before" I don't want to be doing it like i did before, with a new console i want to be gaming like it's the future not the past.

Buy a friggin PC if it's really "last gen thinking" and the rest of us will either buy discs for our consoles or buy off of PSN/XBL.

So family sharing and disc-less disc-based games dissapeared.

I'd like to officially thank all you f*ckers for ruining the best features of Xbox One for me. I'll bet 90% of the whiners already pre-ordered the PS4 and won't go back to Xbox. So congratulations, you've just ruined the Xbox for the rest of us WITH internet.

I'd be happy if they enabled the family share stuff with DD games.

Ah well.  I'm just glad that I got my pre-order in early as xbones are going to be impossible to find now.

So family sharing and disc-less disc-based games dissapeared.

I'd like to officially thank all you f*ckers for ruining the best features of Xbox One for me. I'll bet 90% of the whiners already pre-ordered the PS4 and won't go back to Xbox. So congratulations, you've just ruined the Xbox for the rest of us WITH internet.

So 90% of the internet pre-ordered a PS4?  :rolleyes:

I really do think Neowin somehow lives inside a bubble at times.

Why would I want to run with my disk up and down the stairs, when I could have my entire libary working n both consoles here.  Ha ha ha wow, so you would take draconian DRM simply so you don't have to go up and down the stairs? incredible. I don't think the Kinect is for you either. Regardless, theyre not getting rid of digital downloads so you can still sit on your butt and access any game to your hearts content. and consoles elsewhere. and I could share my library with my family, including the ones living 2 hours away in Sweden. Andeven if I install the disk, I still need to take out the disk and have it in the console, as opposed to safe in a case on the shelf. I thought you didn't want to have a disc collection anymore? why are you worried about scratched discs? just download them. not a chore. but sometimes I like to swap around games, untill I decide what to play. it's better not to require a disk, arguing that havign to insert a disk to change game is better is rather. ridiculous.

with their old system I could lend games digitally to my friends(not at launch but soon after), and they where implementing digital rentingway to keep up.

Nope it was something they said they were looking in to. Nice attempt to try and make yourself appear to be in the know however

OMG, learn to effing quote, write below the quote box. in your own reply. 

Firstly the DRM wasn't draconian. it was a necessary evil to a lot of damn good benefits. But that's some nice personal insults. to bad you're not allowed to throws insults at people on these forums.

When did I say I didn't want a disc collectiong, honestly I don't care what format I buy my games in, I want the freedom that the system gave, which they now can't provide thanks to whiners, and journalists who blasted another MS system they didn't understand. seems to be a common theme with them. 

No they didn't say they where "looking into it" they said they where "working on it" I assume you understand the difference. Though it might be assuming a bit much ? 

• Like 1

Buy a friggin PC if it's really "last gen thinking" and the rest of us will either buy discs for our consoles or buy off of PSN/XBL.

I've got a PC and game on it, i also have a family and a console is a much better idea for them.

I was specifically talking about consoles and you full well know that.

As opposed to having all the pro's...

Based on the backlash and the fact they changed the policy, it's obvious that's a matter of opinion.

For me, family sharing was a pro, but the 24h requirement for physical media was a con, they could have worked both

in there for a good balanced DRM system, but they didn't completely think it through

they might have just done a blanket policy reversal to what the PS4/360 has so they didn't lose anymore pre-order sales to

Sony and planned to work out the details on the digital policies, like family sharing, fast switching(which should still be possible-

- with digital content, it's just physical media losing out on that) in the future

I wouldn't be surprised if it's changed again with another, hey guys! we listened to you again! family sharing is back for digital

downloads! aren't we a fantastic company?!

So stop buying discs and support Microsoft's digital services.

Seriously, there is nothing stopping them from retaining the prior feature set on the digital side of the console. You people keep clamouring about wanting a "new next-gen console" and not the status quo, so why on earth are you still buying discs?

Whoops, we just pulled a Sony and put DRM back on the console via a patch that you're required to install via the TOS...

Screw that, I've fallen for that trick once already.