Xbox One: No Games DRM or "Always Online"

Pot, Kettle, Black, you.

No its not. You can still play games with these conditions. Think for a second about people without internet under the old ones.

Exactly how does this Affect their cloud fucntionality ?

Exactly what do you think the cloud had to do with their DRM?

oh right you and Marty where spreading that FUD wher eyou claimed that the cloud and the DRM was the same thing, despite being to different services, doing two different things, not even running on the same servers or server systems, on running on the live DRM  servers the other running on the Azure cloud servers. 

The cloud is going nowhere. 

Are you stupid?

Now game devs cant include cloud based functionality with the knowledge that all consoles will have a solid connection to the internet, if they build in functionality that is reliant on cloud services then its not going to pan out as well now that MS's hand has been forced to the 'don't have to check in every 24 hours' decision.

They can still add this sure, but now it'll be on them to explain to joe 'no internet' blogs that the game needs the connection, and that in itself will be enough of a block to stop a lot of games using such features or use them to the levels they may have been wanting to.

My point is MS PR the last few days has been hilariously bad at trying to defend DRM, reflect journalists questions and not answer things clearly.

Don Matrick has almost sank the whole company in a few days with the **** that has come out his mouth.

Maybe if journalists learned to report everything that was "reported" to them, instead of cherry picking the negatives that give them a better story.

Reading the news on news sites both gaming and non gaming alike and comparing to the actual press statements and interviews done by and with MS paints a very bad image of the modern "journalist". of course journalists don't exist anymore, the professional journalists has been replaced by the blogger who doesn't have to check on validity of their report, doesn't have ot take responsibility doesn't have to check their sources...

it goes all the way back to Vista and the BS the journalists parroted form each other back then. 

Whats so hard to understand here, the changes base don the major lack of understanding now stop ANY DIGITALLY BOUGHT GAME BEING SHARED OR SOLD, before the disk was simply a way to save your bandwidth (so you didn't have to download it) but it would have been treated like a digital copy, thus allowing all games to be treated the same and allowing massive benefits (game sharing - diskless, selling etc.).

This is now gone, and cant be brought back due to the way these things work.

+1!   I have a 40/40mbit fiber optic line with 99.99% uptime, but I still want the disc. I want it that first time to avoid downloading 20gb of data before playing. Then after it's installed I can hide it away in case I need to re-install. What I don't want is to use it EVERY time I wanna play, and I want to be able to share games disc-less. Some of the r***rds here doesn't understand that it seems. : /

Are you stupid?

Now game devs cant include cloud based functionality with the knowledge that all consoles will have a solid connection to the internet, if they build in functionality that is reliant on cloud services then its not going to pan out as well now that MS's hand has been forced to the 'don't have to check in every 24 hours' decision.

They can still add this sure, but now it'll be on them to explain to joe 'no internet' blogs that the game needs the connection, and that in itself will be enough of a block to stop a lot of games using such features or use them to the levels they may have been wanting to.

The lack of a check in every 24 hour doesn't affect sh*t.   Are you listening to yourself. Even people who are able to check in once a DAY, may not be able to use the cloud, because it might be unstable the rest of the day. The check in doesn't guarantee anything for devs.

A successful company thinks for itself and doesn't pander to the every whim of the naysayers and little bitches.

obviously you dont know anything about running a business.

But that's some nice personal insults. to bad you're not allowed to throws insults at people on these forums.

I assume you understand the difference. Though it might be assuming a bit much ?

Ha.

No its not. You can still play games with these conditions. Think for a second about people without internet under the old ones.

That's the one in a hundred thousand in the release countries. and that's estimating way high. a correct estimate and adjusting for the actual target audience would find this number even more ridiculous. 

This is the problem with the pro DRM people. ME ME ME. "I don't want to walk up the stairs to swap discs. I have an always on connection, doesn't bother me. I never rent games". Never stopping to think how the previous model would actually impact on people while these changes announced today are at worst a minor inconvenience for themselves. It doesn't stop them playing games.

I think any rational person would recognise this is a good thing.

I don't understand your objection to the DRM considering the fact that it was only there to enable new features such as family sharing and fast switching.   What impact are you referring to?

I wouldn't describe these changes as a minor inconvenience.  They completely undermine one of the key points of the product (support for digital distribution) and prevent Microsoft from developing the product and adding useful features.  I think you're missing the big picture and have a dated view of how console gaming should work.

• Like 1

Why the h*ll should we care about other peoples internet problems. People dying of AIDS, yes. People struggling with war, YES. Someone who can't play Halo offline because they're internet services isn't good enough(which btw. would get better if people complain enough to ISPs)...

We buy the console for ourselves. And WE HAVE INTERNET.

Hahahahahaha.... the rage. It's beautiful.

Never thought I'd see the day on Neowin I'd be defending/cheering the heck out of the Xbox/a MS decision and people are getting angry at me and annoyed at MS.

Also, playing your games whilst downloading them, there's a new feature.

Wow, maybe in another 7 years we can get it to stream? /s

The Family Sharing was actually NEW, a real next-gen feature. And it got killed because of that 1% + the Sony fanboys who hate their life so much that they have to ruin ours too.

• Like 1

Now I seriously hate Sony fanboys. They are like the lowest life form of life in this world. They just turned my hopes of next generation gaming to just regular gaming.

All of you who cause this to happen can go *********** yourself upside down in the back of a dumpster. Seriously.

You guys and your small single mindedness just turn next gen into last gen.

What is new in this gen? NOTHING. SERIOUSLY NOTHING BUT BE ABLE TO DOWNLOAD YIUR GAMES THE SAME DAY IT WAS RELEASED.

I bet you guys are glad they did it because now its just like the ps4.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA :rofl:

Sorry, I had to let it out eventually. I could easily apply this to any number of other posts, it's nothing personal.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

• Like 2

Now I seriously hate Sony fanboys. They are like the lowest life form of life in this world. They just turned my hopes of next generation gaming to just regular gaming.

OMG this is the best post I've read on Neowin in ages. Almost like it came from a parody account.

• Like 1

Xbox One is now seriously on my list of contenders for my next console. Really depends on the exclusives and popularity with my friends. It's terrible having a console none of your friends have.

I will probably just buy all 3 though eventually the question is who gets my money first.

• Like 2

All of you who cause this to happen can go *********** yourself upside down in the back of a dumpster. Seriously.

What is new in this gen? NOTHING. SERIOUSLY NOTHING BUT BE ABLE TO DOWNLOAD YIUR GAMES THE SAME DAY IT WAS RELEASED.

You sound like a cry baby...its just a console.. Not sure if this is a 12 year old behind the computer screen... :(

Just relax and step away from the keyboard.

Oh noes, Your restrictive, drm-laden dreams have been crushed. Whatever will you do?

• Like 2

Oh noes, Your restrictive, drm-laden dreams have been crushed. Whatever will you do?

Buy a PS4?

Children, children calm down..life goes on..*Hands ctrl_alt_delete his juice box*

So Microsoft gives the people what they want, and they still complain?

MS gives the whiners, who were never going to buy an xbone in the first place, what they want.