I made the Facebook plunge.. out of the pool

I finally did it. I stopped posting political rants, I just posted my photography (landscapes) but I notice I used it in the greater sense, less and less. So I was told on the phone at one time that it would cost a fee of $149 to completely wipe my account from their system when my daughter got sneaky and made a FB account.  

So, in closing, I made the switch away from FB, I feel great, I'm not missing it, I'm living life. Some of you folks here on neowin have inspired others as well and for that

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Chrisj1968

• Like 2

I don't really understand how not using Facebook = living life ?

I use FB 5 to 10 minutes a day. When i'm coming back from work. I don't see how not using it would really mean living more but well ...

"I was told on the phone at one time that it would cost a fee of $149 to completely wipe my account from their system"

Who told you that?

• Like 3

So I was told on the phone at one time that it would cost a fee of $149 to completely wipe my account from their system when my daughter got sneaky and made a FB account.  

149? You can deactivate your account at no charge. I doubt FB will delete your data from their servers. 

I don't use FB much... I only check in to see what's up with my family and friends who are far away from my area.

If they want to get ahold of me, they can aways email, text, or call me.  

149? You can deactivate your account at no charge. I doubt FB will delete your data from their servers. 

I don't use FB much... I only check in to see what's up with my family and friends who are far away from my area.

If they want to get ahold of me, they can aways email, text, or call me.  

Same as above.

Facebook is just another web site I visit now and then.  Heck I spend more time on Neowin!  (and it's a lot more interesting and fun)

"I was told on the phone at one time that it would cost a fee of $149 to completely wipe my account from their system"

Who told you that?

the rep who i spoke to on the phone, trying to expunge the account my daughter made secretly.

PRISM guys finally got you and made you do it, eh?

:shiftyninja:

the rep who i spoke to on the phone, trying to expunge the account my daughter made secretly.

:shiftyninja:

What guy? Why did you call somebody to close an account? Why not close it in the settings for free? Oh my lord I hope you're trolling.

I don't see why suddenly closing your facebook account "gives you a life".

I've used Facebook for years, I have no intentions of closing my account and even if I did, it would make no difference whatsoever.

I use it just like any other website, I visit every now and again and just like Raze I visit neowin more than Facebook :p

Like the others have said too, please god tell us you haven't paid to close your account :/

I use FB 5 to 10 minutes a day.

Same here. Sometimes once every 2 or 3 days. I like to keep my account because it's an easy way for me to keep up with what my family and my friends are doing.

Same here. Sometimes once every 2 or 3 days. I like to keep my account because it's an easy way for me to keep up with what my family and my friends are doing.

Yep that's exactly what i do. I have an old friend living in Paris and another one living in Calgary. Very good and effective way to keep in touch. Back in 1990 i would have probably lost contact with them.

Unlike many others i just don't lose time posting my feeling on things, meme and bad jokes. I post about the important events in my life and add pictures 2 or 3 times a year.

They might do. But before every trace is removed from their many backups (daily, weekly, monthly and yearly) it will still take a while.

I think the original guy has been scammed for 149 notes. Unlucky dude. 

naw I didn't fall for it. it was an official facebook call center number for customer support. they do have a number to call. I told him i thought it was nuts to pay $149 to delete an account. so i basically changed my daughters PW. but I did shutdown my account. I just don't use it anymore is all. I use my google+ for posting my photography work

Google-Plus-vs-Facebook4.gif

I might come across as callous with this mind frame, but...yey?

I'm not sure I quite understand this mentality. If Facebook is popular and someone does not want to be a member anymore, then go for it. Does this affect me though? Not unless you're a friend, and then you find yourself missing out on events that we chat about afterwards. This is happening more and more regularly with a friend of mine that did the same thing. He keeps asking me when I'm coming back to town, and I keep telling him that if he had checked his Fac...nevermind.

Are you doing this to "get a life?" Ok, if that's what you need. I find myself having a job, friends, Facebook, and they all work quite well together.

Ultimately I don't mind why someone wants to remove themself from Facebook. The issue I have is this necessity to say, "look at me, I escaped!" No they didn't. They decided it wasn't for them and they stopped using it. Simple. Saying, "I escaped" makes me think that I am somehow a prisoner of Facebook, which is far from the case. I use Facebook because I find it to be a valuable tool to keep in contact with my friends around the World.

You don't see me using MSN messenger anymore. Partly because such a thing doesn't exist anymore, but also because it has been superseded by the functionality that Facebook offers me. But do I sit here and say, "guys, I did it. I got away from MSN"? Nope. I moved away from it because it was a tool that no longer suited my needs.

I apologise, this isn't directed at the OP in particular but instead the mentality of people that think moving away from Facebook is something to celebrate. It isn't, just as much as being a member of Facebook isn't something to celebrate.

• Like 4

naw I didn't fall for it. it was an official facebook call center number for customer support. they do have a number to call. I told him i thought it was nuts to pay $149 to delete an account. so i basically changed my daughters PW. but I did shutdown my account. I just don't use it anymore is all. I use my google+ for posting my photography work

:rofl:   Wow.  What a life changing decision that you made.  :rolleyes:

See I have a more simple view. These days its treated as an Addiction. Facebook is WAY more addictive than MSN ever was. I was addicted to MSN. So people see moving away from it as breaking an addiction alcohol,drugs etc. Which is something to be proud of. 

See I have a more simple view. These days its treated as an Addiction. Facebook is WAY more addictive than MSN ever was. I was addicted to MSN. So people see moving away from it as breaking an addiction alcohol,drugs etc. Which is something to be proud of.

Ah, a fair point. The "addictive" quality of Facebook. I have known many, many (in fact the more I think about it the more I count) people that cannot stay away from Facebook for too long before they start thinking, "my farm!" or "my poker chips" or "my inflatable hammock-######-spacecraft" (I don't know, but that's going to be my point).

THAT can be as addictive as any game that requires you to check on it. But do I use Facebook for games? No. I use it for the tool it was originally designed to be, a communication tool. Anyone that has a status update trying to get me to brush their cow before it sheds gets a world of abuse from me...or I do what the tool allows me to do, and I ignore those types of updates.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure cows don't shed...it was making a point, it wasn't based on biology necessarily.

I think I may be addicted to Neowin.