Xbox Live is down.

Those could easily be the parents of a fair piece of that target group.

As I said, VERY FEW in the 40 range do this. if they have kids they rarely turn anything off anyway since the kids run the TV.  And generally those with kids living at home gaming are either young enough that they don't or their kids have grown up and moved up, and if they live at home still they're capable of telling their parents unplugging is not only unnecessary but stupid, only time it serves a purpose is if you live in an old house that doesn't have lighting/surge protection and is at risk of lighting in the sockets(this is very geographically dictated, I've lived in places with heavy lighting right over my head and I never unplugged because I know the area doesn't get lighting in the power lines(more rare in "cities" or villages than in the country). Now I live out in the countryside in an area I know that if there's lighting it will kill every modem in the area ;)  though it doesn't strike the power lines as much and I just replaced the whole power intake on the house with a modern automatic fuse boks with a massive surge protector.

Using less electricity serves no purpose?

the power saved on not running anything on standby over a year isn't even a single big mac.  So my answer would be no. 

say 10 minute refresh, 100KBytes data eaten each refresh

24 hours = 24 * 60 Minutes
Total refresh per day = 144 times
144 * 100KB = 14MBytes per days
5,256 MB per years

5 GB per years just for DRM checks

Diclaimer:
* 10 minute according to HawkMan
* 100 KBytes according to Randomevent

so, no problem 5GB/years wouldn't affect you. HawkMan & Randomevent said so. :)

well, without original XBox One DRM plan,

my internet usages just averaged about 3.6 GB per month, my ISP told me so.

As I said, VERY FEW in the 40 range do this.

I love how you pull these kind of stats out of your arse.

I said "lots do", which also leaves room for "lots don't".

You leave very little room, basically stating it as fact (as per usual). So what are you basing that statement on? Your personal insight into the habits of the entire modern world!?

Disclaimer: I never unplug anything. :)

Well this one is going off the rails..... since Xbox Live is not down anymore we'll just end this one here.

Until we meet again! (Y)