Nissan launching $100 per month Leaf battery replacement program in 20

Nissan launching $100 per month Leaf battery replacement program in 2014

leafbattery.jpg

How much would a Leaf owner pay to banish range anxiety? If your answer was "$100 a month," then Nissan's got a proposition for you. The car maker is gearing up to launch a domestic battery replacement program for its EV in 2014 that'll set you back that aforementioned sum. Similar to Nissan's setup in Europe, if your battery can only hold nine out of 12 bars worth of charge, it'll replace the unit with a new or reconditioned unit. The company insists that very few will ever actually need to replace the battery, but hey, squeezing $1,200 a year out of its existing customers is a sure-fire way to inspire loyalty.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/21/nissan-leaf-battery-program/

Very few will ever actually need to replace the battery, but give us $100 per month anyway. :rofl:

Does one get that money back if you don't have the battery replaced for the time owning the car?  Doubt it :D

I'd be interested in finding out the actual price of a replacement battery. Some cursory Google searches seem to indicate the price of a battery to be over $7,000. So for some people, this battery plan might make some sense. Sort of like an insurance policy.

@+primortal: Name me an insurance policy that returns your premium if you don't make a claim? Or an extended warranty plan one might buy at Best Buy. Peace of mind is the entire point. Insurance 101.

:D

Actually they may be surprised at how many batteries they will have to start replacing after awhile. Batteries fail. period. How many of you guys have a laptop that doesn't hold it's charge anymore? Or, have one that has substantially less capacity than it did when it was new?

Batteries wear out after awhile and just because it's in a car doesn't make it any different.

If they didn't wear out, they wouldn't sell the 12V replacement batteries in every auto parts store ;)

COKid, on 21 Jun 2013 - 11:46, said:

@+primortal: Name me an insurance policy that returns your premium if you don't make a claim? Or an extended warranty plan one might buy at Best Buy. Peace of mind is the entire point.

:D

Then name it battery extended warranty....  Replacement program sounds like I get my money back if I don't use it :D

There's a sucker born every minute, I guess.

They're all suckers for buying this car IMO.