Would an N router improve my wireless streaming speeds?

I currently have an older Netgear G wireless router, cable internet. The office desktop plugged into it via a wired connection shows 26 Mbps download speeds on Speedtest.net. The entertainment laptop with a wireless G/N card in the next room over gets 16 Mbps download speed.

Would switching to an N router make my wireless connection any faster, closer to the 26 of the wired connection?

It seems the main limiting factor is my cable bandwidth. I believe G theoretically maxes out at 54 Mbps and I'm nowhere near that so it's not like the router is maxed out, but would a newer N router with my laptop's N adapter give an improvement that would be noticeable when streaming movies from Amazon?

Thanks.

N Router will help a bunch.. An AC Router would solve the issues 100%..

I had streaming issues for years with my N router.. but after I built a HTPC with XBMCbuntu on it, the issues went away.. I am assuming because it can buffer more than the regular streaming devices. 

Also, not sure where you are from.. but if you have a Best Buy near there.. get a N router and a N Bridge (if your device does not support N) and if it doesn't work.. take it back

I say go Apple, AirPort Extreme and also airport express the best I've ever used. I used alot of routers. There not the most configurable but I've never had a problem.

Well if you're having issues where it can't even max out your current internet connection, it's possible. It's also possible there's interference on whatever frequency you're using that's causing slowdowns (So what switching from G @ 2.4Ghz to N @ 5Ghz would help, but G @ 5Ghz could be the same too)

I've got pretty clear airwaves here, so on my network I get about 68Mbps over 2.4Ghz (Using multiple channels at once)

In my neck of woods they say that those ASUS high-end routers have incredible range but they are also expensive.

But there are also many things to take note of regarding wi-fi connections.

Theres the frequency competition, I live in apartment block and theres families left, right, above and below all using wi-fi.

Channels 1-11 can easily be full on a weekend.

I could get an AC router and go up to the 5Ghz frequencies but its costly as I have to do something about the clients too.

Also if you have a badass high-end router, you will need something matching on the receiving end.

For example those routers with 2 antennas (MIMO thingy) with specs of 150Mbps speeds.

If the wi-fi receiver in your laptop or smartphone has only one antenna, then the best you can get is maybe 65Mbps (or maybe a 72Mbps).

For laptops you can get the matching wi-fi usb receiver so its easier.

To me wireless can never beat wired connections, at least in my environment.

Use powerline plugs to go between router and media machine, I use 200Mb set and never have a problem streaming 1080 stuff.

If not the above you just gotta get out of the 2.4Ghz frequency no matter which way you slice it. At my old place (condo building) I was getting 10-12Mbps on 2.4Ghz MAX. Now I get a bit better -- up to 22Mbps. That's mainly because there isn't that much signal interference around here. I obviously use 5Ghz N since that will always max out :)

"I believe G theoretically maxes out at 54 Mbps"

That is RAW total bandwidth - you will never see that at a client..  Best you can hope to see on G is about 21 to 23Mbps, thats it your only wireless client - no noise, etc.  And from a wired source - if your talking client to client you want be able to see that, wireless is SHARED - what your seeing is normal for G.

Yes moving to N on both your router and client should be able to get over your 26Mbps ISP speed.. 

I can recommend you the 

http://www.amazon.com/TD-W8960N-Wireless-Splitter-detachable-antennas/dp/B003CFATMY/ref=pd_cp_pc_0

or if you want to get one with 5 GHz support

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WDR3600-Wireless-Gigabit-300Mbps/dp/B008RV51EE/ref=sr_1_1

I've had both of them (one at home and one at my father's house), each of them easily reaches at least 2 floors with 243 to 300 MBit/s (given you have have an adequate Wlan Card/Stick), which should help you max out your connection.

Got an Asus RT-N66r from Best Buy. Speeds have increased to about 25 MBPS wireless and wired speeds bumped up a few points as well. Seems to work in downstairs living room with the wifi bluray player streaming as well. I'm happy with the performance improvements. Thanks for the advice.