Independence Day 2 Script Features Returning Cast Members

Following word this week of an official July 3, 2015 release date for 20th Century Fox's Independence Day 2, director Roland Emmerich has dropped a few hints about what to expect from the much-anticipated sequel.

"Will Smith cannot come back because he's too expensive," Emmerich told NY Daily News while promoting his latest, White House Down, "but he'd also be too much of a marquee name. It would be too much."

The 1996 original also starred talent like Bill Pullman, Jeff Goldblum, Randy Quaid, Mary McDonnell, Brent Spiner, James Duval and Vivica A. Fox. Although it's not specified as to exactly who might return for the sequel, Emmerich confirms that a number of the original film's characters appear in the script by Dean Devlin and himself.

"We have like maybe half of the people that you would know from the first film," he says, "and the other half are people who are new."

Pullman confirmed earlier this year that plans call for the return of his character, Thomas Whitmore, but no talent has been officially locked as of yet.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=105774

But.. Russel Casse died .. how is he coming back? :\

Probably - have some cliff hanger explanation scene where he says ,,,, "I ejected at the last minute or that I was transported to one of the ships in orbit."  

If I was the one writing the script I would have them going out to finish the rest of the fleet off , but the aliens take people hostage and go to the moon.  A rescue plot so to speak.  

But.. Russel Casse died .. how is he coming back? :\

So did the scientist that Brent Spiner played (Dr. Okun). As well as Mary McDonnell's First Lady. Vivica A Fox doesn't make sense to have without Will Smith. 

So the rest are the returning cast: Bill Pullman, Jeff Goldblum, and James Duval. Judd Hirsch as well, as Goldblum (David's) father. And Connie (Margaret Colin), David's wife/ex-wife.

Hopefully Adam Baldwin will be brought back. He will no longer be Major Mitchell, he will be President Mitchell! I'd be down with that.

I just hope they don't give the aliens another retarded Apple virus. God that was stupid! Were they trying to bitch slap the technically inclined?

I just hope they don't give the aliens another retarded Apple virus. God that was stupid! Were they trying to bitch slap the technically inclined?

If they do, the Aliens will need to be running x86 hardware now. Wasn't Apple still PowerPC n' it back when Independence Day was released?

It's ok, the Aliens run "Bonjour" and "AppleTalk" as their networking protocols.

Whats this going to be called? Independence Day 2: 5th of July  (Even more Julyier and Independent then the 1st)

It's ok, the Aliens run "Bonjour" and "AppleTalk" as their networking protocols.

Whats this going to be called? Independence Day 2: 5th of July  (Even more Julyier and Independent then the 1st)

No actually- they probably will have it set for one year later though... kind of an anniversary .....

No actually- they probably will have it set for one year later though... kind of an anniversary .....

That might not be too bad. A lot can happen/change in a year.

I believe it was already said that it would be set in our current time line since all the actors have aged since the original film.

Yawn!

Yet another brain dead action flick that will pretty much involve an hour of watching alien ships blow up New York.............AGAIN!

Probably also released in 3D.....well, when I say 3D, what I mean is that we'll be sat watching it behind a pair of glasses but see ZERO depth or pop out effects

Yawn!

Yet another brain dead action flick that will pretty much involve an hour of watching alien ships blow up New York.............AGAIN!

Probably also released in 3D.....well, when I say 3D, what I mean is that we'll be sat watching it behind a pair of glasses but see ZERO depth or pop out effects

Possibly but I think the whole 3D thing will be less of a thing by the time this film comes out.

And I don't mind seeing a brain dead action flick, especially if New York gets totalled again. :P

Calling it now, it's going to be horrible. Unless of course it's about a future where humans scavenged the interstellar capabilities of the ships, and they're the ones going around harvesting planets for resources.

If they do, the Aliens will need to be running x86 hardware now. Wasn't Apple still PowerPC n' it back when Independence Day was released?

I think they were still on 68k when it was released.

Brain dead flick? to be honest when i saw it i was only 12. Best looking film i've ever seen at the time, action, cgi was pretty good for that kind of film. It made sci fi films worth watching again and personally saved the genre (well maybe) But yes a 2nd and 3rd film is going to be hard one because it's all about the story line. Really hope Smith does return, remember the film isn't being made yet.. so always time :p

It makes absolutly no sense that Smith is not in the film.

I think every series (except Bond....and maybe) if the original actor is not in the film, in some sort of way, it is worst.

• 4 months later...

Roland Emmerich Says There?s Two Scripts for INDEPENDENCE DAY 2: One with Will Smith and One without Him

http://collider.com/independence-day-2-scripts-will-smith/

Why doesn't Smith just say yes to it!! He must know people want him in it! The one film that kicked started him into Hollywood!

Hello,

Why doesn't Smith just say yes to it!! He must know people want him in it! The one film that kicked started him into Hollywood!

Its been mentioned: Smith is one of the highest paid actors in hollyword right now. He wouldnt come back unless his paid is made and the script is actually any good...