Raspberry Pi power consumption?

Daedroth

I've been thinking about getting a Raspberry Pi to become a downloader/smart TV solution, given it's low price and low power consumption. Can anyone tell me how much power it will actually consume if plugged in and downloading via Ethernet? I don't understand all the power statistics that I've found on the Internet as they confuse me.

Can anyone tell me what the costs could be, or what the power consumption is compared to other electrical devices, such as a light bulb, router, homeplugs, etc?

Also, what's the normal power consumption for homeplugs and a normal router?

n_K

The official figures for the ORIGINAL 256MB model B one is 5 watts, it runs on 5v at about 1 amp, 5*1 = 5w.

The new 512MB one that allows a lot more power to passthru to the USB slots (model B) will probably use more depending on what's plugged in.

Original Model A from what I remember is 5v at 0.5a meaning 2.5w, not a clue about the new model A but it doesn't have ethernet anyway.

In theory the original RPi B uses half the power an 11w energy efficient light bulb uses, well that's the raspberry pi itself, the actual power depending upon the power supply you use, seeing as most plug-in USB power adapters are upto about 75% efficient.

Routers probably use a bit more power due to the multiple ethernet isolation transformers inside them, again it all depends upon the router, the manufacturer and other things.

ToneKnee

For 'SmartTV' functionality, I think you might be better off with a with an Android MiniPC like this one.  They use the same amount of power but is far more capable than the RaspPi (I have both btw).  I found out like most do about the RaspPi is that you run out of headroom fast when it comes to performance.

Also, the MK 809II is only a few pounds more expensive as well.

I've linked mine to my Google account where I have access to stuff like Plex which can stream movies and TV series straight off my server and it can handle 1080p content fine. :)

Daedroth

That's great. I only planned on using it over night, or an hour or two on an evening, so it should be even less. Thanks for the replies. :)

Ambroos

Remember that it's absolutely fine for streaming over ethernet, but very slow as a download box. IO over USB gets very slow very fast and the ethernet doesn't go that fast either.

I have mine as a tiny Tomcat web server now, runs remarkably well. Plan is to put XBMC on it (OpenELEC) when I get a new TV.

Daedroth

Remember that it's absolutely fine for streaming over ethernet, but very slow as a download box. IO over USB gets very slow very fast and the ethernet doesn't go that fast either.

I have mine as a tiny Tomcat web server now, runs remarkably well. Plan is to put XBMC on it (OpenELEC) when I get a new TV.

What does it equate to as a download box though? My broadband can only download at 1MB/s. I assume it'll be good enough for that?

srbeen

I use a 5V 1.5A power supply (thats a max output of 7.5W) and it powers my raspberry pi with ethernet cable, as well as  750mA 2.5" HDD its using to improve throughput.

I can download/upload to the Pi around 20MB/s this way, opposed to around 4-5MB/s off SD, plus I have a TB of storage.

Highly suggest anyone who wants real throughput from the Pi follow this guide: http://zeroset.wordpress.com/2012/10/03/move-an-existing-raspbian-installation-from-memory-sd-card-to-usb-flash-drive-stick

My XBMC box runs from a 5V 1A supply without any problems, and if you use HDMI-CEC and have no need for a wifi adapter you can likely get away with a 5V 0.5A or 0.75A supply. Ensure you are using a stable quality supply and a good microUSB power cable. 90% of raspberry pi issues come from these 2 things.

Most routers use 24W (12V 2A) you can determine this by unplugging the AC adapter and reading it. You should see something labeled OUTPUT: 12V --- 05.A (should be a solid bar with dashes under it) this states it can supply 12Volts at 0.5Amps.

Power is Voltage multiplied by Amps, so just multiply them together and thats the MAX amount of power it can use under full load. In the case above, 12*0.5, it'd be 6W of power. Most devices operate at most in the 60-80% of their supplies rating, to prevent failure with power brownouts or spikes. For maths easy we assume it uses the MAX power all the time.

You can do a lot of stuff on them too. like running XBMC while downloading torrents and having an SSH VPN tunnel is just the tip of the iceberg.

Ambroos

What does it equate to as a download box though? My broadband can only download at 1MB/s. I assume it'll be good enough for that?

It'll do fine for that. My connection is 15MB/s and it starts to struggle at that point (very high CPU, especially with torrents).

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By zikalify
      Raspberry Pi Imager 1.6 comes with hidden advanced settings
      by Paul Hill

The Raspberry Pi Foundation has just announced the release of Raspberry Pi Imager 1.6, its installation media writer. Imager retains its very simple interface in this update but an advanced settings menu has been included if you know the key combination to access it. To open the advanced settings, use the Ctrl-Shift-X combo and you’ll have access to the additional settings.

According to Gordon Hollingworth, Director of Software Engineering at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, Imager was designed to be as easy to use as possible and to reduce the number of items you interact with. After some pressure from the community to add more advanced settings, Hollingworth decided to add a hidden advanced settings menu that gives the user more flexibility when creating installation media.

Once you’re in the advanced menu, you can choose to apply settings for this session or for all future sessions. The options include pre-configuring Wi-Fi and locale settings, enabling SSH, setting a custom hostname, and disabling telemetry.

If you’d like to download the new version for Raspberry Pi Imager, head over to the software’s download page – it’s available on all the popular platforms. If you already have Imager installed, just pop it open and you should receive a notification explaining that a new update is available and you’ll be able to install it.

• By zikalify
      Raspberry Pi Pico has gone on sale for just $4
      by Paul Hill

The DIY computer firm Raspberry Pi has announced its first microcontroller-class product, the Raspberry Pi Pico. The company said that the new $4 product is based on the RP2040 chip which it developed and that it’s ideal for “deep-embedded development” or as a companion to your Raspberry Pi computer.

The new microcontroller is available for purchase now from one of Raspberry Pi’s approved retailers which can be found over on the product’s page. Alternatively, you can buy a copy of HackSpace #39 which comes with a free Pico as well as guides and tutorials that you can follow along with to put your new hardware to use.

Discussing the RP2040, Raspberry Pi said that it had three design goals: high performance, flexible I/O and low cost. The Raspberry Pi Pico was described by the company as the RP2040’s “low-cost breakout board” and pairs the RP2040 with 2MB of memory. The specs for the Pico are:

If you’re a beginner wondering what to do with the device, the Pico Getting Started page can help you to begin writing MicroPython and C code that can be executed on the Pico. The creator of MicroPython, Damien George, worked with Raspberry Pi to build a polished port for the RP2040 that exposes all of the chip’s hardware features. Support for RP2040 MicroPython was also added to the Thonny IDE by Aivar Annamaa.

If you’ve never bought anything from Raspberry Pi but you’re curious about their products, the Pico seems like a really good place to start with its very low price tag.

• By News Staff
      Save 85% off the IoT E-Degree Certification Bundle
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Online Courses section of the Neowin Deals store, where for only a limited time you can save 85% off the IoT E-Degree Certification Bundle. Bridge the IOT skill gap with 40 hours of content, exams, certificates, and five projects on Raspberry Pi, Linux, Arduino Programming, and more.

Internet Of Things (IOT) is set to impact every modern industry and proficiency in IOT technology opens an array of opportunities. With 7 hand-picked courses, this master class will give you extensive insights on Raspberry Pi, Linux, Arduino programming, and basic knowledge about IoT systems such as its architectural elements, security, and more. You will also be taught how to create IoT ecosystems in which physical objects are connected and can be accessed through the internet. This bundle also offers numerous hands-on projects, exams, and quizzes to measure your progress.

Access 120 lectures & 40 hours of content 24/7 Gain in-depth understanding of what IoT is all about Equip you with the ability to design & build IoT-enabled applications and services Give extensive insights on different topics like Raspberry Pi, Linux & more Learn how to create an IoT ecosystem Hone your practical skills with hands-on projects, several quizzes & exams Curriculum

Module 1: Introduction to IoT with Raspberry Pi Module 2: IoT Device Architecture Module 3: IoT Device Security Module 4: Introduction to IoT with Arduino and Embedded Programming Module 5: Practical IoT Project - I Module 6: Practical IoT Project - II Module 7: Introduction to Embedded Programming in IoT Good to know
      Certification of completion included Updates included Redemption deadline: redeem your code within 30 days of purchase For terms, certification and instructor info, click here.

Here's the deal
      This IoT E-Degree Certification Bundle normally costs $200 but it can be yours for only $29.99, that's a saving of $170.01 (85%) off!

>> Get this deal, or learn more about it <<
      See all Online Courses on offer. This is a time limited deal.
      Get $1 credit for every $25 spent · Give $10, Get $10 · 10% off for first-time buyers.

Not for you?
      That's OK, there are other deals on offer you can check out here, but be aware that these are all time-limited offers. If you are uncomfortable sharing your details with a third-party sponsor, we understand. Check out the Neowin Store for our preferred partners.

The Win Your Dream 2020 Tesla Model 3 Giveaway Ivacy VPN - 5 year subscription for just $1 per month NordVPN - 2 year subscription at up to 68% off +3 months for free! Private Internet Access VPN - subscriptions at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Disable Sponsored posts · Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs.

• By News Staff
      Save 98% off the Learn Amazon Alexa Development Bundle
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Online Courses section of the Neowin Deals store, where you can save 98% off the Learn Amazon Alexa Development Bundle. Control your smart devices, play your music, answer questions & more in 25 hours of Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant training.

This bundle consists of the followwing courses:

Mastering Alexa
      Customize Alexa to the Next Level by Integrating APIs & AWS IoT Arduino IoT Cloud Bootcamp: Learning to Use the Arduino IoT Cloud Platform
      Build Internet of Things Projects & Configure IoT Things, Dashboards, Webhooks & Build IFTTT Integrations Building Alexa Skills for Home Automation with Raspberry Pi
      Build Alexa Skills from Scratch & Control Devices with any Amazon Echo Device + Raspberry Pi Ultimate Guide to Building Flash Briefing Skills with Alexa
      Learn to Build Flash Briefing Skills Fast with No Coding Required & No Amazon Device Needed Learn Alexa the Fun Way
      Learn to Create Interesting & Fun-Filled Amazon Alexa Skills & Publish Them Mastering Google Actions
      Take Your Google Actions to the Next Level by Integrating Firebase Functions, External APIs & More Learn Google Assistant in 48 Hours
      Develop Apps for Google Assistant with the Help of DialogFlow, Firebase & Raspberry Pi Mastering Alexa for Business
      Build Alexa Skills Suitable for Business Problems & Improvements Step by Step Alexa Skill Development
      Learn to Customize Alexa by Building Custom Alexa Skills Building Voice Apps Using Amazon Alexa
      Learn to Build Smooth Voice-Activated Apps for Echo & Other Alexa-Aware Devices Good to know
      Length of time users can access this course: 1 year Certification of completion included Updates included Redemption deadline: redeem your code within 30 days of purchase For terms, certification and instructor info, click here.

Here's the deal:
      This Learn Amazon Alexa Development Bundle normally costs $2,000 but it can be yours for only $25, that's a saving of $1,975 (98%) off!

>> Get this deal, or learn more about it <<
      See all Online Courses on offer. This is a time limited deal.
      Get $1 credit for every $25 spent · Give $10, Get $10 · 10% off for first-time buyers.

Not for you?
      If this offer doesn't interest you, why not check out the following offers:

The Win Your Dream 2020 Tesla Model 3 Giveaway Ivacy VPN - 5 year subscription for just $0.99 per month NordVPN - 2 year subscription at up to 68% off +3 months for free! Private Internet Access VPN - subscriptions at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Disable Sponsored posts · Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs.

• By News Staff
      Save 97% off the Ultimate Raspberry Pi & ROS Robotics Developer Super Bundle
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Online Courses section of the Neowin Deals store, where you can save 97% off the Ultimate Raspberry Pi & ROS Robotics Developer Super Bundle. Amp up your skills on electronics, programming and robotics with 39 hours of content on Raspberry Pi, Python, and ROS2.

This bundle consists of the courses listed below:

Raspberry Pi Essentials & Extras
      Broaden Your Raspberry Pi's Horizons with This 1-Hour Crash Course

Learn ROS2 & Migrate Your ROS Projects
      Create Complete ROS2 Applications & Migrate a ROS1 Code Base in ROS2

Connect & Interface Raspberry Pi with Arduino
      Learn How to Connect Raspberry Pi & Arduino, The Software and Hardware Part, and Why It's So Useful

Raspberry Pi 4 Essentials: Learn More in Less Time
      Start Working with Raspberry Pi by Creating Your Own Projects

Build Your Own Smart Dustbin Using Raspberry Pi
      Have a Solid Foundation on Servo Motor, Distance Sensor, IoT Dashboard Implementation & More

Internet of Things with Python & Raspberry Pi
      Develop a Secure, Real-Time & End-to-End Internet of Things

Hands on Zigbee Using Raspberry Pi
      Implement Innovative Projects Using One of the Top Trending Wireless Protocols

The Complete Raspberry Pi Bootcamp
      Learn to Program & Become a Raspberry Pi Developer

Make a Smart Mirror Using Raspberry Pi
      Step-by-Step Guide to Make a Smart Mirror That Works as a News, Weather, Time, & Date Feed

Build Your Own GPS Tracking System with Raspberry Pi
      Learn Raspberry Pi By Building & Testing a GPS Tracking System

Obstacle Avoiding Robot with Raspberry Pi
      Make Your Own Obstacle Avoiding Robot & Start Making Amazing Apps

ROS2 For Beginners
      Master the Key ROS Concepts to Create Powerful & Scalable Robot Applications

Introduction to Asus Tinker Board 2020
      OS Installation, Full Fledged PC, Remote Access Along with Beginner, Intermediate & Advanced Level Project Development

Getting Started with NodeMCU (ESP8266) Step by Step
      Build IoT Web Application, LCD Pattern, Physical Input, GPIO Interfacing, Firmware Installation, ESP12E, NodeMCU & More

Build a Smart Security Camera for Raspberry Pi
      Build a Smart Security Camera That Detects Intruders & Sends Out Alert Messages Using Python

Good to know
      Length of time users can access this course: lifetime Certification of completion included Redemption deadline: redeem your code within 30 days of purchase For specifications and instructor info please click here.

Here's the deal:
      This Ultimate Raspberry Pi & ROS Robotics Developer Super Bundle normally costs $2,391, but can now be yours for just $49.99, for a limited time, that's a saving of $2,341.01 (97%) off!

>> Learn more about it, or get this deal now <<
      See all Online Courses on offer. This is a time-limited offer that ends soon.

Not for you?
      That's OK, there are other free eBooks on offer you can check out here, but be aware that these are all time-limited offers. If you are uncomfortable sharing your details with a third-party sponsor, we understand. Check out the Neowin Store for our preferred partners.

The Win Your Dream 2020 Tesla Model 3 Giveaway Ivacy VPN - 5 year subscription for just $1 per month NordVPN - 2-year plan 68% off +3 months for free (total of 27 months) Private Internet Access VPN - 3 year plan at 86% off ($2.19/month) Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Disable Sponsored posts · Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: A valid email address is required to fulfill your request. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this offer. By submitting a request, your information is subject to TradePub.com's Privacy Policy.