Jim Carrey withdraws Kick-Ass 2 support

Jim Carrey has withdrawn his support for Kick-Ass 2 after last year's Sandy Hook shooting.

The actor - who filmed his role as Colonel Stars and Stripes in the sequel last year - will not help promote the film ahead of its release in August.

Jim Carrey does the Vulcan Salute before appearing on the 'Late Show with David Letterman' in New York

He explained that last December's school shooting has changed his opinion on the film's violent content.

3mOjI.png

He tweeted: "I did Kickass a month b4 Sandy Hook and now in all good conscience I cannot support that level of violence."

"I meant to say my apologies to others involve (sic) with the film. I am not ashamed of it but recent events have caused a change in my heart."

Universal Pictures - the studio behind the Kick-Ass films - has yet to comment on Carrey's decision.

Mark Millar replied to Carrey

I don't think its about who he is more than its just that a member of the cast won't support it.

Fine. I can support that, but until it was in the press months ago, he was OK with taking the cash and running. I assume that the 'change in his heart' also motivated him to return the money he took for the film, and he will also never tweet or speak of the role again.

Oh, what's that? He is keeping the money? This is his way of not having to go on tour and promote the movie while at the same time promoting it via twitter?

Ahh I get it, an older actor that has one major face contorting thing, and he feels he needs to come back while still being PC. Bleh.

Ballsy. Gotta commend the dude for standing for something.

Skin is right if he would really stand for something he would give the money he made for this movie to charity.

Ballsy. Gotta commend the dude for standing for something.

I wouldn't go that far. He specifically called out Sandy Hook. So every other school shooting and act of violence was OK, but after Sandy Hook, it dawns on him that it's a big deal now?

I'm not faulting him for standing up for what he believes, just curious why he chose that one specific event instead of the countless other bouts of violence etc. etc.

I wouldn't go that far. He specifically called out Sandy Hook. So every other school shooting and act of violence was OK, but after Sandy Hook, it dawns on him that it's a big deal now?

I'm not faulting him for standing up for what he believes, just curious why he chose that one specific event instead of the countless other bouts of violence etc. etc.

i can't judge anyone else, but 'opportunist' is what strikes me.

do you all agree with raping a girl? if not then i guess you should donate all your money to victim services. Just becasue you don't agree with something dosn't mean you give your money you earn to the cause to fight it. he worked and did a job and should get paid for it. Circumstances have changed and that changes his outlook.

do you all agree with raping a girl? if not then i guess you should donate all your money to victim services. Just becasue you don't agree with something dosn't mean you give your money you earn to the cause to fight it. he worked and did a job and should get paid for it. Circumstances have changed and that changes his outlook.

Nice thought, but really, pure drivel.

I never got paid for playing a character that rapes a girl, so therefore, why should I give all my money to them? You just pulled a massive strawman and hyperbole argument, or else you miscalculated your thougths based on a similar analogy.

He took money for a role when he was ALREADY a gun control nut advocate, then he read (several months late) the sandy incident... then he jumped on a PC bandwagon to make some media waves. He is a washed up fraud that is attempting to play emotions against his livelyhood.

He is a jerk. Plain and simple.

Nice thought, but really, pure drivel.

I never got paid for playing a character that rapes a girl, so therefore, why should I give all my money to them? You just pulled a massive strawman and hyperbole argument, or else you miscalculated your thougths based on a similar analogy.

He took money for a role when he was ALREADY a gun control nut advocate, then he read (several months late) the sandy incident... then he jumped on a PC bandwagon to make some media waves. He is a washed up fraud that is attempting to play emotions against his livelyhood.

He is a jerk. Plain and simple.

but would you star in a movie that raped a girl? or was a murderer? If you did and changed your mind about if it was wrong or right (which how you would assume it was right is beyond logic), would you give back your money?

but would you star in a movie that raped a girl? or was a murderer? If you did and changed your mind about if it was wrong or right (which how you would assume it was right is beyond logic), would you give back your money?

If I was an actor, probably I would at least think on taking the role, after all, it would be my job. If I suddenly had a real epiphany and felt bad and hated that I did the role, and what it does to folks, yeah, after making millons, I would at least do the charity route. That's just me... then again, I wouldn't take to twitter and broadcast my personal opinions and try to be hip 20 years too late.

This guy is just a ###### who is using these tragic events to try and leverage himself back into the spotlight again.  He even made a music video mocking the NRA and Charlton Heston, a man who spent his life standing up for something he believed in until the day he died, and who did a heck of a lot more for the constitutional rights of this country than Jim Carrey has.  I wonder how people would have reacted if he'd made a video mocking Martin Luther King Jr.

• Like 2

If I was an actor, probably I would at least think on taking the role, after all, it would be my job. If I suddenly had a real epiphany and felt bad and hated that I did the role, and what it does to folks, yeah, after making millons, I would at least do the charity route. That's just me... then again, I wouldn't take to twitter and broadcast my personal opinions and try to be hip 20 years too late.

Having an opinion and posting it on Twitter makes you hip? What?

I don't get why you keep brining how much money he earns into it.

This guy is just a ***** who is using these tragic events to try and leverage himself back into the spotlight again.  He even made a music video mocking the NRA and Charlton Heston, a man who spent his life standing up for something he believed in until the day he died, and who did a heck of a lot more for the constitutional rights of this country than Jim Carrey has.  I wonder how people would have reacted if he'd made a video mocking Martin Luther King Jr.

It's a little thing called political satire.

How exactly is he using a tragic event to put himself in the spotlight? He's trying to distance himself from a film.

Just out of curiosity what did Heston actually achieve?

Hitler spent his life fighting for something he believed in too, doesnt mean he's a great guy or they're noble causes, same with that Heston nutcase.

I like Carrey, but this is stupid of him. Violence is no different now then it was before the school shooting, and im pretty sure these are the same people who say violence in video games and movies doesn't cause violence in real life.

If he means what he says, then he should reject all proceeds from the film, and have it donated to the families, gun safety, or something, but don't keep a dime of it himself.

Last time I checked, Heston didn't kill 6 million people because they met a certain racial profile.  He starred in several great movies and championed a constitutionally guaranteed right that is constantly under attack by politicians who don't know the difference between a magazine and a clip, but certainly know that I shouldn't have them.

Carrey is fighting for safety

Many would argue having a gun in one's possession is about safety too. "Eliminating guns" is a noble cause, but so are "eliminating drugs" and "eliminating poverty". How are those fights going?

back onto topic....

Yay for absurd hypothetical arguments!

Guy can withdraw his support by not promoting a film without having to give back his paycheque, he still did the job so he should be paid.