Georgia school kicks girl off football team

HENRY COUNTY, GA -- A 12-year-old girl is fighting to keep her spot on her school's football team.  Maddy Paige was allowed to play football last season at her private school, but she was told she can't play next year because she's a girl.

Paige, who was the starting left defensive tackle as a sixth-grader at Strong Rock Christian School last year, said she was devastated when she learned she wouldn't be allowed to play again.

"It's slowly starting to hit me that I'm not going to be able to have that fun anymore, so I was just hurt," Page said.

Paige's mother, Cassy Blythe, said that the CEO of the school gave a number of reasons why her daughter should not play, including saying that boys may have impure thoughts and noting that it's private and they can do what they want. At one point, Blythe said that the CEO cited the Bible.

"They couldn't find an exact quote of why she shouldn't play," said Blythe. "He said, 'The best I can up with is that men and women are created equal but different.' And that is all he could say.

The family has started a Facebook page titled "Let Her Play" that has gotten more than 1,000 hits in the first two days.

"Maddy was able to play the first year. She did an outstanding job. She gave it every ounce of energy and passion that she had, and then they just took it away for nothing, for nothing because she is a girl," Blythe said.  "It really, it blows my mind. I don't understand it at all."

Blythe said that when she asked the school why Maddy was allowed to play season and not this one,  they didn't have an answer, saying only that policies have changed.

source

if i were her parents, I won't let her play either. Football is a brutal sport only for man and plus there is no locker room for female. lol.

if i were her parents, I won't let her play either. Football is a brutal sport only for man and plus there is no locker room for female. lol.

Maybe she'll develop the physique of an orc.

may have impure thoughts and noting that it's private and they can do what they want. At one point, Blythe said that the CEO cited the Bible.

Check calendar ... yep! it's 2013. For a while i tought i had magically travelled back in time.

• Like 3

Check calendar ... yep! it's 2013. For a while i tought i had magically travelled back in time.

sorry. boys of that age will always be tempted. You're transposing an adult attitude on to hormones raging teens. Doesn't work.

I am appalled and feel sick to my stomach just reading these comments.

GIve her a fair chance and let her play! Who in their right mind has the authority to crush one's dreams? If you had a physical disability and wanted to play and any one of you were kicked off the team because of such, wouldn't any of you be feeling crushed too? Have a heart! Every one of us is created equally, regardless of nationality, race, or gender. We're all beings for goodness sake!

Let her play!

The school can let her play.  But in order to protect other boys on the team, her parents have to sign paper not to sue them for any injuries later on.

That brings up the funny thing I always see on youtube.  People always want equally right, but then crying out loud when the guy hit a girl ... lolz ...

I am appalled and feel sick to my stomach just reading these comments. GIve her a fair chance and let her play! Who in their right mind has the authority to crush one's dreams? If you had a physical disability and wanted to play and any one of you were kicked off the team because of such, wouldn't any of you be feeling crushed too? Have a heart! Every one of us is created equally, regardless of nationality, race, or gender. We're all beings for goodness sake! Let her play!

sorry. boys of that age will always be tempted. You're transposing an adult attitude on to hormones raging teens. Doesn't work.

Yeah lets shutdown all mixed schools, Lets have separate cities for boys and girls :rolleyes:

Speaking as a former kids athletics coach, the issue is safety. Hers.

In Pop Warner Junior Pee Wee (think: little league) football (up to age 11 / 105 lbs) gender doesn't matter much, which would be her last year, but 12-13 is nearing (school) Junior Varsity age where the boys might put on several inches and 30++ pounds just during the time from summer practice starting until seasons end. Because of how schools handle birthdays kids 12, 13 and 14 will end up in the same teams.

There are Junior Varsity players at 13-14 that clear 200 lbs. Some at 14 are big enough to move up to Varsity. I was one of them. A school letting a 12 y/o girl line up across from a kid like me at 13 would have been totally irresponsible. Now imagine one of my teammates who was 6 feet 10 inches and 310 bs at 16, and over 250 lbs at 13.

To prevent this kind of mismatch Pop Warner adds size to the player eligibility matrix along with age, allowing boys and girls to play together until age 15 or 170 lbs. Unless the schools league is using the Pop Warner player eligibility matrix, which would be very unusual, they could well be acting out of concern for her safety (and their own liability.)

Either is justifiable.

The bible and impure thoughts have nothing to do with temptation irl. Nothing impure about thinking of sex and girls.

Speaking as a former kids athletics coach, the issue is safety. Hers.

I agree. Some of those young lads are huge these days. I can see her getting hurt badly if she played.