Weather Proofing Discussion

So guys I'm going to take my 5D Mark III on a trip very soon, and I hear it is going to rain, any tips and tricks should I do to prevent my camera being destroyed by rain? 

Not sure about the weather sealing on the 5D Mark III. I know the Mark II was supposed to be somewhat weather sealed, and the 7D, but either way, I wouldn't trust any of that. From what I understand it's hit and miss whether that will even keep the rain out. I'd suggest a rain cover if you're going to be shooting in rain. There aren't really many tips or tricks that I would actually trust with my camera. Others may know better though. I'm just going to go pick up my first DSLR in about an hour. I've resisted for years, but the time has come.

I don't know, I've heard people taking it out and having no problems at all. I'm going to try not to shoot in the rain, but you know just in case if it does get a little wet. I don't have the money for a rain cover, lol. So that's why I'm asking any tips and tricks. Congrats on your first DSLR! What are you picking up? 

I don't know, I've heard people taking it out and having no problems at all. I'm going to try not to shoot in the rain, but you know just in case if it does get a little wet. I don't have the money for a rain cover, lol. So that's why I'm asking any tips and tricks. Congrats on your first DSLR! What are you picking up? 

Yeah, I saw they are like $150 at least, plus the short notice. I've definitely heard people say the weather resistance is good for like 10-15 minutes in light rain, but they also said that there wouldn't be any kind of warranty of course if you did get any kind of water damage, so they can't really back up that claim. If you're talking about trying to keep it out of the rain but maybe getting a little here or there, I'd just keep a microfiber towel or something with you and keep it wiped off. You might even be able to drape it over the top like it is a rain cover to help keep it a little more dry.

I got a Canon Rebel SL1/EOS 100D. I've wanted a DSLR for years but didn't need another expensive hobby. I got this one at a price I couldn't resist, plus the super small size would fit me well being that I'm just a hobby photography. I've got it next to me now. Can't wait to get home and try it out.

Umbrella. Genius. LOL. 

Ya, that's just stupid...

You should use plastic grocery bags and duct tape. Just wrap that sucker up and cut a hole for the lens. :)

or should I do this?

reuterssaran.jpg

lol. 

Look at a soccer or football game and check out what they do! They basically improvise a bag around the camera et al.

Look at a soccer or football game and check out what they do! They basically improvise a bag around the camera et al.

Couldn't find any good examples.. :\.

• 1 month later...

I've always been pretty worried about my gear in the rain. A couple of months back I had cause to be shooting (video) out in the rain. Not a light shower, this was real rain. I had purchased a (very cheap!) raincoat thing for the camera, that fit over it and was clear so you could still see and use the controls etc. 

After about 5 minutes, the clear inside was so fogged up from the heat of my hands that I couldn't see anyway, so in the end I just ditched it and shot out in the rain. We were out there at least half an hour, probably more. Camera (and operator!) totally drenched by the end. We had two extra cameras there, same deal.

End result: AWESOME shots (we won at a local comp), we had NO equipment failure, or any problem with fogged lenses, mirrors, sensors etc. Yes, it was terrifying, and yes I would be terrified again at the thought of doing the same to my camera again, but thank the gods it all worked out great. 

Cameras: Canon 60D. If they can cope with some rain, the 5D should be even more secure. YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

Eh, I was out with a 7D in London all day and it was drizzling all day, I and the camera were pretty damp and the camera was fine. Obviously I wouldn't go out in a thunderstorm but a little rain should be fine.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By eRajesh
      How to use Canon DSLR camera as a webcam with your PC
      by Rajesh Pandey

With almost all major countries shutting down due to coronavirus outbreak, millions of people across the globe have been forced to work from home. This, in turn, has led to a rise in video meetings and conferences. The problem is that the webcam on most laptops can be of poor quality which means that the video call quality is going to be equally poor. Then, there are people with PCs who don't have a webcam. In both cases, people can buy a webcam from Logitech or any other company to solve the problem. However, there has been a spike in demand for webcams which has led to them being in short supply and their prices increasing dramatically as well.

If you find yourself in a similar situation and have access to a Canon DSLR or PowerShot camera, you can use it as a webcam for your PC. While it is possible to use DLSRs from Nikon, Sony, and Fuji as a webcam with your PC as well, it requires one to buy a capture card which can cost anywhere between $100-$150. Canon DSLR owners though simply need a miniUSB/microUSB or USB-C cable to connect their camera to the PC and a utility from the company to turn their DSLR into a webcam.

Another benefit of using a Canon DSLR as a webcam is that it will offer superior video quality compared to your laptop's webcam. So, if you are giving online presentations or holding classes online, you should consider using your Canon DSLR as a webcam for the superior video quality it offers instead of relying on your laptop's built-in webcam. One thing to note is that this method will only work if you have a Windows PC because the utility from Canon is currently not available for Macs.

The following Canon DSLRs and PowerShot cameras are supported by the EOS Webcam Utility and can be used as a webcam.

Step 1: Go to the Canon EOS Webcam Utility page on your PC and then select your camera model to download the utility. Proceed to install the utility on your PC and restart it after everything is done.

Step 2: Grab your Canon camera, power it on, and set it to Movie mode. Depending on which Canon DSLR you own, you either need to rotate the mode selector dial to the icon that looks similar to a cinema camera or simply toggle between camera and movie mode using a dedicated button. After that, change the ISO levels, shutter speed, etc. as per your requirement.

Image Source: Canon Step 3: Now proceed to connect your camera to your PC using a miniUSB/microUSB or USB-C cable. After that, open the video calling app of your choice like Zoom or Microsoft Teams. Go to the app settings, find the camera option, and select the EOS Web Utility beta from the camera dropdown list.

Step 4: Wait for a few seconds and the feed from your Canon DSLR should show up on your PC. If it does not, make sure to quit Canon's EOS Utility app if you have it installed. If it still does not work, quit the video calling app you are in and repeat the steps again.

You should now be able to use your Canon camera as a webcam for your PC.

Skype users, do note that the version of the app that's available on the app store and the one that comes pre-installed on Windows 10 PCs does not work with the EOS Webcam Utility for some reason. You need to download and use the version of Skype that's available on Microsoft's website.

If you are still facing any issues in trying to set up and use your Canon webcam as a DSLR on your PC, drop a comment so that we can help you out!

• By eRajesh
      Huawei again caught passing DSLR photos as being shot from its own smartphones
      by Rajesh Pandey

Back in 2018, Huawei was caught passing off some photos taken from its mid-range Nova 3 when they were actually shot using a DSLR. The company had been caught using similar unethical tactics before as well with its P30 series. Fast forward to a couple of years later and Huawei has again been caught doing the same thing.

Huawei recently ran a photography contest on China's Weibo platform and shared some of the photos submitted to it with the "taken with Huawei smartphones" tagline in a video. However, it was soon discovered that some of the photos select from the competition were taken with DLSRs. The issue was first discovered by Jamie-hua after he thought the photos shared in the video from Huawei looked familiar and eventually he found one of the photos on 500x which was taken from a $3,000 Nikon D850 DSLR and not a Huawei smartphone.

The image in question/ Credit: Su Tie After being called out, Huawei issued an apology saying it was an "oversight" by the editor who "wrongly marked" the photos. The company has since then already updated the original video to remove mention of the photos being taken from a Huawei smartphone. The company claimed that the competition rules did not prohibit users from posting photos taken from other non-Huawei devices.

Huawei smartphones are known to have impressive cameras, so it's unclear why this phenomenon of passing DSLR photos as ones being shot from its phones keep occurring.

Source: SCMP

• By News Staff
      Pay What You Want, or beat the average for this Professional Photography Bundle
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted offer comes via our Online Courses section of the Neowin Deals store, where for only a limited time you can Pay What You Want for the Complete Photography Bundle. Master essential photography and editing skills with 26.5 hours of content and over 100 photography assets.

What's the deal?
      With the Pay What You Want bundles, you can get something incredible for as little as you want to pay. And if you beat the average price, you’ll receive the fully upgraded bundle! Included in this Pay What You Want deal, are the following courses:

Pay What You Want (as little as $1) for the unlocked courses:

DIY Food Photography
      If You're Going to Instagram Your Food, You Might as Well Do It Right

Advanced Creative Photography Skills
      Learn to Manipulate Light & Composition to Create More Complex Photos

or beat the average price to get the following as well:

Photography Assets by Kasia Zmokla
      65 Stock Photos to Further Your Photography Education

Photography Assets by Tom Eversley
      Add These 40 Photos to Your Library for Reference or to Further Your Creativity

Black & White Photography in the Digital Age
      Use Photoshop CC to Convert Your Photos into Dramatic Black & White Prints

Portrait Photography Masterclass
      Create Beautiful Portraits for Family, Friends, or Clients

The Art of Travel Photography
      Make a Career of It or Simply Remember Each Trip with Frame-Worthy Photos

Become a Better Photographer - Part I
      50 Tips to Try with Your DSLR or Mirrorless Camera

Become a Better Photographer - Part II
      Master Your DSLR or Mirrorless Camera's Advanced Features

What's the benefit?
      The bundle represents an overall retail value of $1,048. But you can Pay What You Want for the unlocked courses (as little as $1). Beat the average price and you'll take home the entire bundle. Qualify for the giveaway!
      Beat the Leader's price & get entered into the epic giveaway— plus get featured on the leaderboard!

>> Pay What You Want for this Complete Photography Bundle <<
      See other Pay What You Want deals
      This is a time-limited deal scheduled to end in 5 days.

Not for you?
      If this offer doesn't interest you, why not check out our giveaways on the Neowin Deals website? There's also a bunch of freebies you can check out here.

Or try your luck on The Super NES Classic Giveaway. Relive your favorite classic games for free! All you have to do is sign up here to enter this giveaway.

Miscellany and the fine print!
      In some cases, such as with Online Courses, a store credit refund within 15 days of purchase is possible if you are unhappy with it; this does not apply to all deals, so please do check the terms on the page before making a purchase.

Check our other recent deals, before they expire, or our preferred partner software.

How can I disable these posts? Click here.

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerces privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs. *Values or percentages mentioned above are subject to StackCommerces own determination of retail pricing.

• By Timi Cantisano
      Elgato Cam Link repurposes DSLRs and camcorders, making them high-quality webcams
      by Timi Cantisano

Elgato offers a wide variety of products, but has been recently focused on offering gamers some love with its capture products like the HD60S, Green Screen, and now Cam Link. Cam Link provides a simple and easy to use tool that can transform most DSLRs, camcorders, or action cameras so that they can be used seamlessly to shoot video on your PC or Mac.

It utilizes an HDMI port and channels content to the computer through USB, providing excellent quality up to 1080p at 60fps. Since it is going directly to the computer, it records straight to the hard drive, avoiding the issue of running out of space on a relatively lower capacity internal memory card. Like other Elgato products, you can use the firm's Game Capture software or utilize other supported services like YouTube, Facebook Live, Twitch and more.

Although Cam Link is temporarily out of stock on Amazon, it can still be purchased and will ship when the stock is replenished. Another option is that you can purchase directly from Elgato but you will have to pay for shipping which starts at around $7.95 and can go higher if a faster shipping method is selected.

Don't forget to follow us @NeowinGaming on Twitter for more gaming reviews!

Source: Elgato via The Verge

• By DreyerSmit
      You can throw out your DSLR now that LG has introduced a magical new camera in the V30
      by Dreyer Smit

When it comes to smartphone cameras, there has always been some trade-offs. Since the advent of the first camera phone, it has been a race to the top with the highest number of pixels. Then, manufacturers pushed for 'bigger pixels', and a wider aperture. Well LG announced that it has built a revolutionary camera for the upcoming V30 smartphone.

According to its press release, LG noted that the integrated dual camera setup in the new flagship will feature innovations usually found in traditional DSLR's. The new camera will have the widest aperture, letting in up to 25% more light with the new industry first F1.6 lens. The company also noted that its 'Crystal Clear Lens' will be superior to the 'plastic lens' found in other cameras, leading to better color reproduction making it ideal for photography.

'Next Level': this is how the new smartphone lens destroys its 'plastic' competitors Juno Cho, President of Electronics and Mobile Communications at LG commented on this 'next level' new technology:

The company further explained that the new camera, even with these advanced new features, shrunk by 30% compared to the one found in the V20 that it launched last year. Moreover, the new lens cuts 'edge distortion' by a third when capturing wide-angle photographs. This makes it ideal for group selfies, interior, and landscape shots.

The new LG V30 is expected to launch on August 31 at IFA 2017, being held in Berlin, where LG has scheduled a press conference. The device is widely expected to have a six-inch QHD+ OLED display with HDR10, and an 18:9 aspect ratio. Other rumored specifications include a Snapdragon 835, 3200mAh battery and IP68 water resistance.

Source: LG | Top image via HitRecord